Morphy...Which Opera

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Geoff Chandler

Morphy...Which Opera

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:29 pm

They keep changing their minds. First it was....

Now 'probably' it is...

...'The Barber of Seville'. So 'Norma' is now a...

https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/t ... s--huh.436

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/morphy.html

I do wish they would make up their minds else I'll end up with a houseful of operatic coasters.

---

O.G. Urcan

Re: Morphy...Which Opera

Post by O.G. Urcan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:15 am

Contrary to what Geoff Chandler writes, Edward Winter has never stated that the Morphy consultation game was played during a performance of Norma or, for that matter, during any other particular opera. As shown in his article http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/morphy.html, what he has done over the years is to scrutinize the competing claims neutrally, with as much documentation as possible and with many contributions from his correspondents around the world.

It also needs to be pointed out to Geoff Chandler that the words "... most probably, during The Barber of Seville" were written not by Edward Winter but by Fabrizio Zavatarelli.

- O.G.Urcan

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:48 am

Personally I wouldn't use Callas's rendering of Casta Diva as a coffee mat, but tastes on this things differ.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks O.G.

Doubt if my handful of readers had ever heard of Fabrizio Zavatarelli so the joke would prompt 'who-he?' PM's.
Mr WInter is without doubt the most well known chess historian (it was on his site.) So chess historian gags go his way.
My only regret was not being able to link direct to his site. The link feature has been removed because of schoolboy prank links.

Hi Justin,

I despise classical music. I'm convinced most people do and it has a kind of Emperor's New Clothes aura about it.

I love Desert Island Discs. Listening to interesting people talk about their lives I find fascinating.
But some of the record selections...(you can almost Sue Lawley groan)...

Imagine being marooned on an island and all you had to listen to was that dreary mournful crap. You would hang yourself from a coconut tree.
I'm 100% confident that most choose a classical track or two to move themselves up a notch in their peers eyes. (Like chess players do when they
say they study endings.) Surely these people do not listen to this awful music in their own home. Their neighbours would picket their house.

You want some happy music. Reggae (not Bob Marley, his stuff is far too serious. we want Happy Reggae. Some Prince Buster!)
or how about a few tracks of Spike Jones and the City Slickers. Noel Coward's Mad Dogs and Englishmen. The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

If I was a rescue ship and heard classical music coming from the island I'd about turn and label the island suitable for RAF bombing practise.

(BTW who is Fabrizio Zavatarelli?)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:26 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 pm
Hi Justin,

I despise classical music.
More fool you then, Geoff. Who on earth "despises" several centuries' worth of music?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Zavatarelli is a well respected chess historian and author.

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 am

Geoff Chandler also misattributed the "probably The Barber of Seville" remark at chessgames.com, so he needs to make a correction there too.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi Neil,

Never heard of him. I live happily in a Reinfeld/Chernev chess cocoon, rarely peek out.
Googled the lad - he writes expensive books about dead chess players. Good for him.

My tribe (faithful readers) want opening traps, blunders galore and cheapo's (that includes cheapo often unfunny jokes )

Hi Justin,

'Who on earth "despises" several centuries' worth of music?'

We had several centuries of wars, disease, famine as well. Not too fond of those either.

It the operatic stuff I seriously dislike. (how come opera houses get lottery money...they are a business not an art form).

The Q.C. on DAB Desert Island discs today mentioned he did not want too much dreary classical music.

You want happy boat building music. Not that I'd build a boat. I'd stay there and eat all the wildlife.

Hi O.G.

A genuine historical error I'd correct right away. Never a joke. (touch move = touch post)
It's the price of fame that Mr WInter has to live with, he will get a harmless tug on his leg from time to time.

(Also, as I've said on numerous occasions, he has the best chess site on the entire net so a bit of jealousy has obviously sneaked in.)

Having said that. Is Mr Winter what you would call a genuine chess historian. He gathers stuff others have done and adds often humorous
comments. His work spotting errors in books is invaluable but everytime he nails one someone somewhere will be re-creating it.

His books are good. I have the lot. ('cept the Capablanca one - I have the Reinfield and Chernev Capa books...the cocoon syndrome.)

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Geoff Chandler asks whether Edward Winter is "what you would call a genuine chess historian". Of course, he is. For example, much of the material on the Chess History site is his own work. This is in addition to editing contributions from his many correspondents. From my experience as a contributor, I can add that the special skills and experience which he brings to the editing of an article often enhance it, and he sometimes does not take credit for that.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi John,

I can attest how meticulous Edward Winter is, it is the occasional use of the royal 'we'.
Does he front a team of avid researchers? Not bothered either way but if i need a historian
for a gag or two then it has to be him, cannot think of another so well known and his (their.:) ) site is popular.

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 am

To cut to the chase: at the two websites mentioned, Geoff Chandler made untrue statements, and he is refusing to post corrections.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:53 am

Hi O.G.

I'll not change it, it's not in the least bit offensive. 3,000 odd have seen it already, who reads these things twice?
If people think I've really been listening to 'Norma' for the past 3 years then I cannot help them.
Complain to the relevant websites.

(I might..If I remember and am stuck for a gag, add something in the way of a correction in the next column.)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:22 pm

O.G. Urcan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 am
To cut to the chase: at the two websites mentioned, Geoff Chandler made untrue statements, and he is refusing to post corrections.
I do think that people who take Geoff 100 per cent seriously are missing the point.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neil Blackburn

Post by Neil Blackburn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:12 pm

Indeed Geoff - those types of books are rather more expensive than the Reinfeld reprints!!😂. Worth every penny in my opinion.
Anyone can submit material for Winter's site. I have a couple of my 'discoveries' on there.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:46 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:22 pm
O.G. Urcan wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:41 am
I do think that people who take Geoff 100 per cent seriously are missing the point.
...and people who find Geoff funny at any percentage are missing a sense of humour.