End of an era

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: End of an era

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Oh is that what it is? Heh. I have to say I was amused that he got in a game against Miles to finish with.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:44 pm
I seem to recall that the "map of Ireland" was more the shape of Lancashire. The alleged victim was from Lancashire. However, if the accused said he invented the diagrams to confuse people then it doesn't actually matter what it depicts.

The ‘map’ can be seen here:-

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... woman.html

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:19 pm

The Times chess column has today been reduced to a 'Winning Move' position, with no authorial attribution. We wait to see if this is a permanent arrangement. I still favour a column in the main paper (cf Daily Telegraph) where, unlike 'Times 2' (a kind of magazine section), it is possible to be topical.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:21 pm

Adding to my post above, I have just noticed a note on the Times 2 games and puzzles pages. For chess there will be a daily Winning Move and a column on Saturdays. The space afforded by the removal of the daily column has been filled by a general knowledge crossword. I confess that I can understand the editorial decision when comparing likely numbers of readers attempting the crossword as opposed to playing through a chess game. Any predictions as to the Saturday chess columnist?

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:21 pm
Any predictions as to the Saturday chess columnist?
Chess — Winning. Move will continue to appear daily. The Chess column will now appear every Saturday with our new columnist,. David Howell. See below for ...

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:14 pm

More fluidity in The Times Mind Games section. Monday's General Knowledge Crossword No. 1 has not been followed today (Tuesday) by No. 2. Tomorrow we are promised a poker column!

Unsurprising that David Howell will be the Saturday columnist as he already writes for the Sunday Times.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:14 pm
Tomorrow we are promised a poker column.
And, of course, Andrew Robson's excellent bridge column continues.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 am

Susan "Daily News" Polgar keeping up
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:25 pm

I finally got to read one of Luke's columns: 'the Saric Conspiracy.' The difference in quality, between this column and his predecessor's, is frankly embarrassing.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Wrong one, it's the Saric Supremacy.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:25 pm
I finally got to read one of Luke's columns: 'the Saric Conspiracy.' The difference in quality, between this column and his predecessor's, is frankly embarrassing.
You mean that its actually a proper chess column now?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:04 pm

There seems to be a contradiction between Leonard's post on Monday saying the new columnist in The Times is David Howell, and Nick's today implying it's Luke (McShane?).
For the benefit of expats and other unfortunates unable to buy The Times today, can somebody please clarify what chess exactly is in The Times today and who wrote it?

I did manage to get a copy of yesterday's Times and saw they are running Backgammon on Fridays. What are they doing on other days of the week?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:18 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:04 pm
There seems to be a contradiction between Leonard's post on Monday saying the new columnist in The Times is David Howell, and Nick's today implying it's Luke (McShane?).
For the benefit of expats and other unfortunates unable to buy The Times today, can somebody please clarify what chess exactly is in The Times today and who wrote it?

I did manage to get a copy of yesterday's Times and saw they are running Backgammon on Fridays. What are they doing on other days of the week?
McShane is in the Spectator (columns can be found online), Howell in the Sunday Times and the Times on Saturday.

Some other guy writes a weekly column in some other paper which is free to read online every Friday afternoon.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:34 pm

Luke's excellent column is in the Spectator and the contents page has at last correctly attributed it to him rather than to Raymond Keene. David Howell started his Saturday column in the Times today with a Carlsen defeat by Ding Liren. Preceding the game we have 'It is an honour to succeed Raymond Keene, who wrote with such distinction for so many years.'

The Monday to Friday Times has introduced a general knowledge crossword, a poker column by Byron Jacobs (a friend of RDK?), a backgammon column and a couple of weirdly named new puzzle games, all of which I imagine will appear once weekly. I don't know who is contributing the daily chess 'Winning Move' (logically David Howell), but so far the positions have had a slightly longer commentary and have generally been harder than usual.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:02 pm

That's just ritual courtesy on David's part.

Keene has not in fact written with distinction for many years.

I did admire Keene as a player, and his 'Reappraisal' is a great book - but all this was decades ago.