World Youth Championships

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: World Youth Championships

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:08 pm

"And they obviously play blitz chess at a very leisurely pace in Dorset, him being their blitz champion and all "

Hmm. However, 3 minutes + 2 seconds is harder work than 5 minutes for all moves, as already stated, that's 4 minutes for 30 moves, instead of under 5 minutes. It shouldn't cause a catastrophic loss of form though. Anyone can have an off-day at Blitz of course, but that wasn't the stated reason.

Pete Heaven

Post by Pete Heaven » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 pm

I can understand apprehension with a slightly faster time control, even from someone who had a fantastic recent track record in blitz, scored 100% in a 10 second buzzer tournament and routinely plays league games in 10-15 minutes. I can't understand how a prospective ECF 220 player would play weak moves that wouldn't even cross the mind of someone much lower rated. I tried to comprehend the anti-positional moves that resulted in him being a rook down in 9 moves in round 1 but it continued game after game. I have only seen two of the high-quality games and the ten blitz games in London but I stand by my view that they can't have been played by the same person unless the latter games were deliberately of low quality...or unless..well the other possibility is well known.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:33 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:56 pm
And they obviously play blitz chess at a very leisurely pace in Dorset, him being their blitz champion and all ;)
They do - https://www.dorsetchess.co.uk/the-3rd-d ... pionships/. Both time limits quoted are eligible for ECF rapidplay grading and FIDE rapid rating.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Natasha2 January 2020 at 04:16 wrote: Utter baggage, and a burden to the chess community.
I'd love to have that as a bulletin board signature
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Pete Heaven

Post by Pete Heaven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:38 pm

I've been called worse, Justin, but normally there's a little more justification.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:45 pm

What an accolade though
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:18 pm

Three new comments from 'Natasha' at https://beauchess.blogspot.com/2019/10/blitzed.html

Highlights: "I must certify that I have legally ran tests on the child, each one proving his endearing innocence."

"If people are wondering who I am then I am afraid I’m legally not allowed to say, however, I am able to say which company in which I work for, and it is FIDE."

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm

from Tim's blog

"So a FIDE official, who has verified his innocence, feels that it is part of their job description to hurl personal insults at anyone who disagrees. I can't say I'm convinced."

It's not totally against FIDE practice surely?

Pete Heaven

Post by Pete Heaven » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:31 pm

I could have responded differently I guess. There were so many reasons to believe that these posts were not from a FIDE representative, I was spoilt for choice.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 pm

"I could have responded differently I guess. There were so many reasons to believe that these posts were not from a FIDE representative, I was spoilt for choice."

Well, I can't disagree with that!

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:00 pm

Next Monday evening, 20 January, the Dorset League Division 1 has the fixture Ringwood v Highcliffe A.

This is another edition of the match between these same two teams which took place on Monday 9 December when, less than 36 hours after his 1/10 1057 performance at the London Classic blitz, Declan Lovelock defeated the legendary Kenny Harman, who I recall playing in my last over-the-board tournament at Hammersmith 1972.

The match report stated:

There was naturally a lot of interest in the top board clash between Declan and Kenny. It was unsurprisingly given the speed at which both play that it was the first to finish! Clock times at the end was in Kenny's favour - he had gained 6 minutes to Declan's 4 minutes over the hour they started with!

In a complicated Benoni, Kenny, as black, sacrificed a pawn to leave Declan with doubled isolated b pawns. However, in the play that followed Declan's pieces found active squares on both sides of the board, and forced capitulation. One up to Highcliffe.

Declan's total this season for the two clubs he represents, Highcliffe and Southbourne, is so far 9/10, eight wins and two draws.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Monday.....

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:16 pm

Will hats be worn?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:04 am

The last Ringwood match - On the 4th November, after a quick win against 188 rated Peter Anderson, his own teammate has this to say in the reports;

‘Unfortunately there appears to be no stopping the Declan tidal wave machine! Thought his pawn sacrifice on e6 followed by his rook sacrifice on f6 were excellent - not sure many titled players would have seen all of these tactics. The other games were much quieter 'normal' affairs...’

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:19 am

Natasha writes again, on Tim's blog:

I am sorry for my insults, it’s just that very few people seem to keep some sort of an agenda against the child simply because he plays well. I’m telling you truthfully, he is innocent, without a doubt. If he were to be cheating then his account on Chess24 would have been verified as assisted and a direct contact from Chess24 would inform the FIDE officials (me). As of yet, and at 2550 rating online, he hasn’t been given any warning or indication in the slightest that he may be assisted, and that we have not received any direct correspondence. We have analysed many of his online games and each one has very human aspects.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 am

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:19 am
Natasha writes again, on Tim's blog:

If he were to be cheating then his account on Chess24 would have been verified as assisted and a direct contact from Chess24 would inform the FIDE officials (me).
Now I would really like to know who she is!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.