World Youth Championships

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Roger de Coverly

Re: World Youth Championships

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Tim Spanton's blog continues to attract comments.

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/2019/10/blitzed.html

I thought the Telford case in 2018 established that FIDE aren't interested in what goes on in English domestic events, regarding that as the responsibility of the ECF.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:16 pm

How many sock puppets does "Natasha" have, I wonder......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:56 pm

She wears a lot of hats
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:16 pm
How many sock puppets does "Natasha" have, I wonder......
She seems to be setting him up to get a lot worse (in results terms) quite quickly, once his opponents discover his weaknesses and become better at exploiting them.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:39 pm

The interesting question is: will the ECF take any action when the January grading list emerges in the next few days with Declan Lovelock at or near the top of the U17 or U16 list? Other leading players in that age group and their parents may also want answers.

I know that Alex previously wrote on this thread that it didn't affect junior selection because that was based on Fide ratings for older ages, but that answer really sidestepped the issue and I think there is an important general principle involved.

Up till now DL has only had a local 195 rating from Dorset, but now it will be a national grading number with the prima facie implication that the ECF accepts it as valid.

Is the intention to wait until the Dorset rapidplay in mid-March, six weeks away, when, with a £200 first prize, one or more opponents might well request a search or even refuse to play at all if the organisers themselves do not initiate any action?

Or does the ECF have a contingency plan for earlier action such as the previous suggestion here by respected GMs Arkell and Gormally of an expert investigation including a meeting with the player?

If the matter becomes high profile, it could mean negative publicity for the ECF and chess as well as any effect on the player himself and his future career.

I am not asking for any plans to be spelt out now on this forum, just asking if the junior director and others who could be involved realise that when an official published ECF grade appears the situation changes, becomes more urgent and will invite some action.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:06 pm

There's me thinking whether an issue with the young person's GCSE's as well.
it will be interesting how the ECF handles this. Thanks Leonard

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:39 pm
The interesting question is: will the ECF take any action when the January grading list emerges in the next few days with Declan Lovelock at or near the top of the U17 or U16 list? Other leading players in that age group and their parents may also want answers.

I know that Alex previously wrote on this thread that it didn't affect junior selection because that was based on Fide ratings for older ages, but that answer really sidestepped the issue and I think there is an important general principle involved.

Up till now DL has only had a local 195 rating from Dorset, but now it will be a national grading number with the prima facie implication that the ECF accepts it as valid.

Is the intention to wait until the Dorset rapidplay in mid-March, six weeks away, when, with a £200 first prize, one or more opponents might well request a search or even refuse to play at all if the organisers themselves do not initiate any action?

Or does the ECF have a contingency plan for earlier action such as the previous suggestion here by respected GMs Arkell and Gormally of an expert investigation including a meeting with the player?

If the matter becomes high profile, it could mean negative publicity for the ECF and chess as well as any effect on the player himself and his future career.

I am not asking for any plans to be spelt out now on this forum, just asking if the junior director and others who could be involved realise that when an official published ECF grade appears the situation changes, becomes more urgent and will invite some action.
He is now registered to play in the 4NCL: http://www.4nclresults.co.uk/2019-20/me ... t.html#wes

Wessex
Number Player Title Jnr. Nat. DM cat DM num ECF FIDE Grade Other Current 4NCL Restrict
1 Lovelock, Declan ENG JS ME021505 327319C 491691 2200

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:17 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am

He is now registered to play in the 4NCL: http://www.4nclresults.co.uk/2019-20/me ... t.html#wes

Wessex
Number Player Title Jnr. Nat. DM cat DM num ECF FIDE Grade Other Current 4NCL Restrict
1 Lovelock, Declan ENG JS ME021505 327319C 491691 2200
That registration was already present before the last series of 4NCL matches, including the yellow highlighting which signifies an ECF membership query (although the Dorset players list has him as a silver member). I recall looking at the Wessex results that weekend to see if he had put in an appearance, which would have been interesting.
Meanwhile, the comments on Tim Spanton's blog have become increasingly bizarre.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 am

Leonard Barden wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:17 am
That registration was already present before the last series of 4NCL matches, including the yellow highlighting which signifies an ECF membership query (although the Dorset players list has him as a silver member).
The 4NCL rules as required by the ECF demand that ENG players be Gold members.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 am
Leonard Barden wrote:
That registration was already present before the last series of 4NCL matches, including the yellow highlighting which signifies an ECF membership query (although the Dorset players list has him as a silver member).
The 4NCL rules as required by the ECF demand that ENG players be Gold members.
Yes, I'm aware of that.

I wasn't aware that the registration was an old one though.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
It is very obviously teenage boys behind the comments.

Now how many teenage boys (other than the subject and his friends) would a) know how to find a comments section on an obscure (sorry Tim!) chess blog. b) would have any interest at all in doing so.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 pm
Leonard Barden wrote:
It is very obviously teenage boys behind the comments.

Now how many teenage boys (other than the subject and his friends) would a) know how to find a comments section on an obscure (sorry Tim!) chess blog. b) would have any interest at all in doing so.
Reading the semi-literate comments from "Natasha" and friends seems to suggest this I would agree.

I hope to attend the Dorset event in person.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:12 pm

"Meanwhile, the comments on Tim Spanton's blog have become increasingly bizarre."

Yes - all those posters having similar writing "styles" as well.

I recall an American forum where many "different" posters were applauding Paul Truong ( a much-loved and respected character in USA), and some humorist posted, "Why are you talking to yourself, Paul?" This was followed by an insane flurry of loads of different posters praising Paul.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:48 pm

If he wins, i make that a hat-trick of wins in Dorset.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 pm

I rather wondered why Natasha, the FIDE insider, would be posting all of this nonsense on Tim's blog when Declan has yet to play a FIDE rated game. So why would FIDE be interested?