Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Piece (Spanish language) in El Confidencial about Arturo Pomar, including an interview with Paco Cerdà, author of a new book, El Peón, about Pomar, apparently centring on the Stockholm Interzonal.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:28 am

Looked at Facebook this morning, and I'd been sent an advert for the Jesuit nursery school - that's for 0-3 year olds - in Pamplona.

"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:45 am

Great - the toddler is holding a black king, the rooks look odd and the board is probably the wrong way round. I don't buy it.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:51 am

John McKenna wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:45 am
Great - the toddler is holding a black king, the rooks look odd and the board is probably the wrong way round. I don't buy it.
Surely the rooks, and the adjacent bishop, are off the board, having been captured?
In that case the board is the correct way round, and it could be he is holding a black king as a talisman and symbolic warning that the opponent is in his clutches.

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:50 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:45 am
Agreed. Pamplona means it's a load of bull.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:37 pm

It doesn't seem odd to anybody else that children aged three or less are apparently being introduced to chess?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Very

It also seems odd to me that children are being introduced to Jesuits, though; not great at 3 I'd have thought, not great at 10 to 17 in my personal experience
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:27 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:37 pm
It doesn't seem odd to anybody else that children aged three or less are apparently being introduced to chess?
Now, next to Karjakin, Russia’s best-known active chess player is Mikhail Osipov. At three, he played a televised game with Karpov. At four last month, he played Yuri Averbakh, 95, the world’s oldest GM, who blundered a rook due to his now poor eyesight. [Leonard Barden in the Guardian, several years ago].

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:32 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Absolutely not, although of course it only works if the child is naturally interested.

I have always believed that young children are capable of quite serious thinking, and are limited primarily by their powers of expression. Pushing around pieces of wood of different shapes and colours is one of the things they do best.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Averbakh just turned 98 - as I mentioned when IM Zhukhovitsky died just short of his century, no titled player has reached that milestone yet.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:32 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Absolutely not, although of course it only works if the child is naturally interested.

I have always believed that young children are capable of quite serious thinking, and are limited primarily by their powers of expression. Pushing around pieces of wood of different shapes and colours is one of the things they do best.
As a certain pre-Boris PM was prone to say, "I agree with Nick".

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:32 pm
Pushing around pieces of wood of different shapes and colours is one of the things they do best.
No doubt, but I'm not seeing the virtue of bringing that to them in the shape of chess.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 pm
No doubt, but I'm not seeing the virtue of bringing that to them in the shape of chess.
What shape would you prefer?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Something a little less formally structured, I guess.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:56 am

This reminds me of a (possibly apocryphal) tale featuring John Nunn. In essence, it was told to me as follows ...

"John's mother picked him up from his first day of elementary school and was called over by the teacher. She warned Mrs Nunn that they suspected John may be a slow learner, as he had shown no interest in the building blocks that the other kids were playing with. Mrs Nunn politely informed her that John was probably just bored, as he was currently reading his Dad's algebra books at home."

Has anyone else heard this story? I can't remember who told it to me, but occasionally wonder if it is widely known and/or has any truth to it.