Most losses to the same player in a season

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Cooksey

Most losses to the same player in a season

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:32 am

I lost to Nick Pert for the third time this season on Monday, admittedly in two different leagues. It would be nice to be putting up more resistance, but the results in line with expectations.

Still, this is the most times I have lost or won against a single person in a season. But I am hopeful the forum can do better/ worse!

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Most losses to the same player in a season

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 am

I can equal that. In the Somerset League, you can use anyone in Division 1, but in Division 2, you are allowed one player graded over 165. Sedgemoor and Millfield ran teams in both divisions. In March last season, I lost to Matthew Turner in Division 1, not without some chances though. The club then said they had two rearranged matches in Division 2 against Millfield. Matthew offered to stage both matches on a Saturday in April. I then lost to him again, making him work again, then (when he finally had white), I got wiped out. So three losses, in consecutive games, and I hadn't played anyone else in the meantime.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:14 am

In a local league I lost easily to a 200+ player, which was no surprise. The fixtures were such that we were to meet again in the return match the very next week. I was determined that our new game would not be a procession again, and that now I would force him to think, so I sacced a knight for two pawns to give myself some attacking chances — though inevitably I still lost. In the foyer afterwards the two teams discussed their games. "At least I gave you more of a game this time," I ventured. My opponent gave this two moments of serious thought before delivering his objective assessment in front of everyone. "No you didn't."

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 am

"My opponent gave this two moments of serious thought before delivering his objective assessment in front of everyone. "No you didn't.""

Matthew was much more polite than that!

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 am

The best I've found for me is 4/4 against Anthony Butler in the 1977/78 season - all games from Tunbridge Wells Chess Club internal club tournaments.

The worst I've found for me is 0.5/7 against Trevor Jones in the 1976/77 season - 6 of the games from Tunbridge Wells Chess Club internal club tournaments and 1 from the annual Skinners' School Masters v. Boys match.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:48 pm

Its quite an achievement to even get to play a grand master three times in league chess- it's never happened to me but I'm sure I could equal or even surpass any loss record if I did have to repeatedly face a much stronger player.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.