Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Re: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:48 am

Leonard Barden wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:13 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm
Update: Sharjah & Grenke gone as well.
I don't see Grenke as cancelled, at least not yet:
Grenke statement of 3 March:
The organisation of the GRENKE Chess Open & Classic is aware of the Corona virus and we keep a close eye on further developments. We will keep you informed.
I really should have known better as the source for my information on Grenke was Susan Polgar's social media feed Image but she hasn't provided any source for her information as yet.

I found a follow up tweet to yours Leonard from the organisers in German, dated March 3, which translated to: "Of course we also deal with the Corona Virus and the possible consequences for the GRENKE Chess Classic and Open tournaments in 2020. As of now: the event is taking place, but we are of course closely monitoring the developments." So with just over a month to go (9-13 April) they are still intent on giving it a go.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:58 am

Apparently during the outbreak, there is a three week window where 50 percent of those who get it will get it, and a longer nine week window where 95 percent of people who get it will get it (this time around anyway.) so presumably if that happens a lot more tournaments will be cancelled during that nine week period but if we get through it then things can get back to normal again.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:06 am

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:58 am
Apparently during the outbreak, there is a three week window where 50 percent of those who get it will get it, and a longer nine week window where 95 percent of people who get it will get it (this time around anyway.) so presumably if that happens a lot more tournaments will be cancelled during that nine week period but if we get through it then things can get back to normal again.
Yes my impression was that the medical experts are hoping the coronavirus will act the same as flu and by the end of April, start of May it will fizzle out. Until then, as you say, more tournaments are likely to be cancelled and yesterday, Sweden's and perhaps's the worlds biggest tournament, in Stockholm with 7,000 children due to take part was cancelled.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:19 am

At the very least if you get past the flu season people will stop having flu (or similar) and coronavirus at once, which will help.

I'm not quite sure what we'll do medium/long term. If it spreads widely through the population and we can't find a vaccine/cure (not obviously promising) then even if it does go dormant until next winter you'll have all the same problems with large gatherings of older people next winter.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am

If I'm a member of such a gathering the problem will be less severe second time round: I fully intend to catch this virus and either die or become immune (well - until it mutates).

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 am

Talking about this last night, it was pointed out that the absolutely key thing is to wash hands before and after certain activities (e.g. eating food), and to not touch your face (mouth, nose, eyes) in between washing hands if you have been touching or handling items that might harbour the virus (smartphones and similar items should be wiped down regularly as well).

Some people (children especially) can find it hard to remember to do this (e.g. scratching an itchy part of your face). But if you can do this, that can go a long way to helping prevent transmission and infection. It is also important to be aware of how long the virus is likely to survive outside the body on surfaces, and to factor that in along with the temperature of the surface and the type of material (e.g. plastic, paper, wood). But that can be too complicated to remember, so hand washing and not touching eyes, nose and mouth is the key advice.

The bit about not getting too close to people can be harder to follow, unfortunately. But generally keeping a bit of distance will help.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am
If I'm a member of such a gathering the problem will be less severe second time round: I fully intend to catch this virus and either die or become immune (well - until it mutates).
Hope you get the lesser strain, Michael.
Complicating matters when it comes to developing a vaccine is the fact COVID-19 has mutated. Scientists have confirmed the virus has evolved into two strains: the ‘L-type’ and the ‘S-type’. The latter is the older version of the virus and appears to be milder and less infectious.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:56 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm
Reykjavik Open was cancelled tonight. Anish Giri commented "When Reykjavik Open is cancelled, you know the s*** just got real. "

Update: Sharjah & Grenke gone as well.
Bad news for people who've booked non-refundable flights or hotels.

I got lucky. I was going to play in one of the cancelled tournaments. I was stuck with an expensive flight I no longer wanted until the airline cancelled my outbound flight this morning allowing me to get a refund.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am
Please make sure that it is the second possibility. It would be inconvenient for the ECF to have to conduct another election for the Chairman of Council quite so soon.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Play it starting about now in the World Senior Team Chess Championships in Prague.

We have been badly damaged by fears about the Coronary virus. This caused John Nunn, Nigel Povah, Ian Snape and Geoff James to withdraw from the 65+ 1st team. I consulted a private doctor and withdrew on his advice.
Jon Speelman withdrew from the 50+ 1st team. This is no reflection on the 6 withdrawals. Jon was replaced, at very, very short notice by James Plaskett who gallantly stepped into the breach.
Brian Ewart withdrew Wednesday, but changed his mind and travelled Thursday! All 5 women stood firm.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks for the update, Stewart. Any news on whether other teams have been affected by withdrawals related to the coronavirus situation?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:26 pm
Thanks for the update, Stewart. Any news on whether other teams have been affected by withdrawals related to the coronavirus situation?
Go to http://chess-results.com/tnr491114.aspx?lan=1. The team lists have been updated and the Round 1 pairings are shown.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:48 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:39 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:26 pm
Go to http://chess-results.com/tnr491114.aspx?lan=1. The team lists have been updated and the Round 1 pairings are shown.
It looks like the seedings haven't been updated though, so the pairings aren't following the real seeding order.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:54 pm

"We have been badly damaged by fears about the Coronary virus. This caused John Nunn, Nigel Povah, Ian Snape and Geoff James to withdraw from the 65+ 1st team. I consulted a private doctor and withdrew on his advice.
Jon Speelman withdrew from the 50+ 1st team. This is no reflection on the 6 withdrawals. Jon was replaced, at very, very short notice by James Plaskett who gallantly stepped into the breach."

It's corona not coronary, but an understandable slip!
I think it is entirely sensible to withdraw, especially if people have existing medical problems. The one death (so far) in UK was apparently of somebody who was already ill, then got coronavirus as well.

My opponent and I avoided shaking hands at a league match on Wednesday, then completely forgot in the excitement of a draw by repetition in a time-scramble. It has been pointed out to me that sitting a couple of feet away from someone for 3 hours might be as dangerous as shaking hands, but you cannot spend your entire life in BSL-4 clothing. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosafety_level

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Ian Thompson is quite correct. Although our first team list has been updated, we are still seeded 4. A quick look down showed that Sovaka have a higher RA than our new average.
Thus the lists must be taken with a pinch of salt at the moment.

Kevin I think sitting opposite an opponent for 3 hours is much more dangerous than shaking hands,

I then looked at the 65+ teams.
ENG1 65+ is, of course much weaker than before. But is still seeded 5.

It is clear that the administrators have been overwhelmed. But whether that is because of the virus, because of large number of initial entries, or because of incompetence - is unclear to me sitting in my office.