Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Re: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Meanwhile, I'll shake my head at the pile of unfounded speculation and general dreck that the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus seems to have provoked on this thread. Never mind the crass conflation with population control.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Whilst reasonable public concern regarding this disease is ongoing, Richmond Junior Chess Club and Richmond Rapidplays have taken the decision to provide a suitably prepared hygienic wipe with each board, set and clock, that participants in all our events are encouraged to use, to allay fears of equipment potentially carrying a dangerous viral load.

This is in addition to previous measures to provide hand sanitisers at each entrance to our events, and the request that sick participants, their parents and match captains should inform of their unavailability and not turn up.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Does anyone have informed advice to give about players wearing latex gloves? I have now seen several instances of this in our events, and have some worries about potential anaphylaxis being caused amongst other participants who may have a latex allergy. Any informed advice would be very welcome.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Latex allergies are rarely life threatening. Vinyl gloves are cheap and are a good replacement option. Slightly more fragile though.

The World Health Organisation just declared it a global pandemic.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:11 pm

With thanks to Matt B. (And, apologies to Paul M. I've toned down the doom & gloom to a minimum, Paul.)
The global coronavirus outbreak has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation which expressed increasing concern about the spread of the disease and "alarming levels of inaction"...
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-c ... 00663.html

Plenty of 'action' in the budget by Rishi Sunak (anag. I shun a risk). He (and the Bozos) will do anything to try and save the UK economy (cannot claim to be saving the world's, unlike Gordo) but nothing except wring their hands over the spread of the virus.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:55 pm

https://twitter.com/FabianoCaruana/stat ... 5988075521

Corona continues to have an effect on the candidates, and the tournament hasn't even begun yet.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:27 pm

4NCL team captains/managers have now received an email from Mike Truran which confirms that, as matters stand, the intention is to go ahead with the two remaining weekends although the situation remains fluid depending on spread of virus and any governmental instructions.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:27 pm
an email from Mike Truran which confirms that, as matters stand, the intention is to go ahead with the two remaining weekends although the situation remains fluid depending on spread of virus and any governmental instructions.
I've not (yet) seen the email. But I think it is poor advice. From what I've been reading today, albeit from an inexpert but informed and intelligent assessment, I think ECF and other chess authorities should act in advance of Government guidance and advise an immediate suspension of all chess activity

My reasons?

* chess is uniquely (specially?) exposed to limits on social distancing. We play within 0.5 metres of each other, face-to-face; share cross-infecting pieces
* chess requires us to spend 3-7 hours in close confinement
* chess community has a well-above average 'at-risk' demographic

Government guidance will apply soberly to all activities. It cannot possibly anticipate the particular and peculiar activities of chess. Hence, our authorities CANNOT wait. We must act, even over-react, in advance rather than wait for a general shut-down

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 pm

Hard to see that's at all wrong
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:10 pm

Is there going to be the ‘delay’ phase shortly implemented by the government? The Blackpool Congress looks to have a healthy entry this weekend, but are events from April onwards starting to suffer from low early entries? The 4NCL Congresses for instance.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:17 pm

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Teague

Post by David Teague » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 pm

The "Entrants" section of the Blackpool Congress website may well be out of date. I emailed one of the organisers some days ago to flag up my withdrawal, and I still appear on the list of entrants. I've actually withdrawn due to other health reasons (I also withdrew from Doncaster, and I'm going to take a break from weekend congresses until October at the earliest).

I do wonder how many organisers have contacted their insurance companies to ask about pay outs if congresses are cancelled, and I also wonder how many have been told payments will not be forthcoming unless the Government actually bans such gatherings. Organisers may face crippling financial losses if events are cancelled, but the elderly congress demographic might take a huge hit if some of the more sobering projections from health experts come to be.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:42 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:27 pm
an email from Mike Truran which confirms that, as matters stand, the intention is to go ahead with the two remaining weekends although the situation remains fluid depending on spread of virus and any governmental instructions.
I've not (yet) seen the email. But I think it is poor advice.
Without wishing to appear to criticise, I'd recommend reading Mike's email first as this goes into a little detail.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 pm
Without wishing to appear to criticise, I'd recommend reading Mike's email first as this goes into a little detail.
Certainly I should. And doubtless I will when it comes down to me. But I copied Mike Truran into my post, and we've exchanged emails since. He's quite reasonably troubled by the financial consequences of defaulting on 4NCL's commitments. Fully understand that. My interest though is to prompt those in leadership of our community, not just 4NCL but above all, ECF to provide that leadership. Where else should we look? We're in a dilemma - to wait on Government; or not to wait? Given our circumstances, I'm saying we should act now

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:12 pm

Since it is in no way confidential - indeed, captains are asked to forward it - here it is:

"A number of captains and players have been asking us about the 4NCL’s position on the coronavirus situation. I can confirm that our present intention is to carry on with the next weekend and the rest of the season if possible, although we are of course monitoring the situation closely. I should say that the decision to carry on or to cancel is not entirely within the 4NCL’s gift; Bridge Overseas have the contractual financial liability for the bedroom allocations at the various 4NCL venues and so we would need their and the hotels’ agreement in the first instance to cancel any weekends. And of course HM Government may take the matter out of our, Bridge Overseas’ and the hotels’ hands anyway at any point.

Dave Thomas expects to email the captains early next week, by which time the situation may be clearer. In that email I expect that Dave will be covering matters such as relaxations if any to section 11 of the rules (defaults), the position on pre-game handshakes, players feeling unwell staying at home, PHE’s hygiene guidance, what measures if any the hotels themselves are putting in place (if we can get that information), and so on and so forth. As regards accommodation, this from the Hotels page on the 4NCL website: “Rooms can be cancelled without charge up to five full working days before the weekend.”

As you no doubt already know, HM Government has issued some advice on the coronavirus which can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... the-public and here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ (see also PS below).There is also some useful advice from the National Council for Voluntary Organisations here: https://bit.ly/2vAW9Di.

Would you be so good as to forward this email to your players please? Many thanks.

More to follow soon.

Kind regards

Mike"