Covid-19 - Suspend Chess Immediately

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Gerard Killoran

Re: Covid-19 - Suspend Chess Immediately

Post by Gerard Killoran » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am

It's always amusing how those who are quick to use the word 'racism' never apply it to Australians. Or Americans. Or Germans.
I'm speechless.

Please be aware, the government is pushing a policy contrary to every other government in the world and the WHO. The policy is contingent on at least 60% (but in reality much higher) of the population going down with the virus in order for us to obtain 'herd immunity'. The elderly and chronically sick will be collateral damage, and hundreds of thousands will die. (60% of 65 million approx 40 million, 1% death rate approx 400,000 deaths minimum)

Is it possible that the rest of the world has got it right and for once the British don't know what's best?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:43 am

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 am
Is it really worth risking your health for a weekend of chess, that's what most people will think.
Dorset Rapidplay evidently still going ahead this Sunday with a near full capacity entry, although it remains to be seen how many people actually turn up.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am
I agree with that but as far as I can see all Tim Spanton did was quote advice given on the BBC and for that you roasted him for a joke award he got nominated for 42 years ago.
You have to give it to Justin, he knows how to maintain a vendetta.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

R G Edwards

Post by R G Edwards » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:30 am
It's always amusing how those who are quick to use the word 'racism' never apply it to Australians. Or Americans. Or Germans.
I'm speechless.
Why are you speechless?

I'm making a clear point that had this virus originated in say, Australia, and some people had started to avoid Australians or Australian food, nobody would ever term that behaviour racist. But when some people chose to avoid Chinatown, we have vehement accusations of racist behaviour.

I wonder why. Do people of colour really need or want white knights to come galloping over the hill to defend their ethnicity? I think not. And I think it's phoney and hypocritical.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am
I agree with that but as far as I can see all Tim Spanton did was quote advice given on the BBC and for that you roasted him for a joke award he got nominated for 42 years ago.
You have to give it to Justin, he knows how to maintain a vendetta.
Well long memories ain't so unusual in the chess community, Nick, but what goes around does come around now and then.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:54 am

R G Edwards wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am
I'm making a clear point that had this virus originated in say, Australia, and some people had started to avoid Australians or Australian food, nobody would ever term that behaviour racist.
"If something happened that has not happened, people would definitely behave in a way that I will, without evidence, assert. I will draw some very strong conclusions on this basis."
R G Edwards wrote:
Do people of colour really need or want white knights to come galloping over the hill to defend their ethnicity? I think not.
"I will also confidently assert that people of colour do not want white people to challenge racist assumptions or behaviour. I am definitely sure about this."
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:57 am

Gerard Killoran wrote:
The elderly and chronically sick will be collateral damage, and hundreds of thousands will die. (60% of 65 million approx 40 million, 1% death rate approx 400,000 deaths minimum)
You should shoot higher - another poster has already slavered over the prospect of a million UK deaths. I think you are both going to be disappointed.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:02 am

R G Edwards wrote:
Gerard Killoran wrote:
I'm speechless.
Why are you speechless?

I'm making a clear point that had this virus originated in say, Australia, and some people had started to avoid Australians or Australian food, nobody would ever term that behaviour racist. But when some people chose to avoid Chinatown, we have vehement accusations of racist behaviour.

I wonder why. Do people of colour really need or want white knights to come galloping over the hill to defend their ethnicity? I think not. And I think it's phoney and hypocritical.
For info, my 14 year old daughter is mixed race, and she thinks the behaviour is racist

She doesn't need anyone to defend her (she told the deputy head to f*** off last week :oops: ), but she has experienced racism at primary and secondary school, so she's probably better placed than me to judge

I'm having lunch in Chinatown in Manchester tomorrow with a couple of fellow MCF officials; my daughters meeting up with her mates in Bolton; I went to an annual quiz last night at my solicitors (we came joint 5th), and there were precautions in place, but the statistical danger was surely greater driving there and back (passed an accident on the way home) than while there
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:10 am

SOUTHEND OFF:

It is with great regret that the organisers have taken the decision that
this year's Southend Easter Chess Congress, which was to have been held 9
April-13 April 2020, is to be CANCELLED. We are therefore writing to all
those who have entered the Congress and will make a full refund of Entry
Fees and Donations.

This decision is due to the situation regarding the coronavirus, which the
WHO has declared a pandemic and that entries to the Congress had virtually
stopped, with just one entry (for the Rapid) in the last six days. While,
with proper precautions, the Congress could have continued, the flow of
entries to the Congress had virtually ceased, with just one new entry in the
last five days - at a time when the rate of entries would be expected to
increase - and the organisers were left with the conclusion that the event
was not going to be financially viable.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:23 am

I got the email through today that our 8th April V Open Semana Santa Alicante has been cancelled in Spain due to the Coronavirus outbreak. 196 entries. Now the fun task of trying to recover at least some of the £1000 we’d paid out. If Spain start to take measures similar to Italy then getting refunds becomes more straightforward.

I’ve pulled myself and my daughter out of the Blackpool event. I know it’s perhaps being overly cautious, and is more a personal choice than because of particularly high risk. I was very much 50/50 about doing that, but on balance it was probably the right thing to do. I am kind of expecting most events we had planned to go to to be cancelled.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:32 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:02 am
I'm having lunch in Chinatown in Manchester tomorrow with a couple of fellow MCF officials
That obviously hasn't been an issue for some time, but in the early days of the virus I have little doubt that London's Chinatown was a relatively likely place to catch it. I am a regular shopper there, with a loyalty card to prove it, so I considered the risk, assessed it as minimal and followed my usual routine.

I would not criticise anyone who was more cautious, anyone than I criticise anyone now who decides to avoid chess matches.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:48 am

I don't think they'll be anything like the number of deaths that people are claiming either. I reckon it will have burned out by the summer and will be more or less forgotten about.

the media love toying with worse case scenarios. it's what they are paid to do. then again we have already seen that it can have a devastating effect on places with a large elderly population, like lombardy.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:48 am
I don't think they'll be anything like the number of deaths that people are claiming either. I reckon it will have burned out by the summer and will be more or less forgotten about.
You might be right. On the other hand:
Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, said that worst-case scenario planning projected that 80% of the country would contract the virus, with a 1% mortality rate. This equates to more than 500,000 deaths
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 pm

I'm not an epidemiologist or indeed at all knowledgeable about statistics, but I guess I wouldn't mind knowing, if they have a worst-case figure, whereabouts the median figure might be located.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:12 pm

I think psychologically approaching the summer people start to feel a bit healthier, less likely to get grotty colds and bugs. If there is a summer lull, the big test for morale might be this October, if this cycle starts to ramp up again. What would the chess analogy be - Making a blunder and having to win the game all over again?