Worrying times

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Worrying times

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:17 am

Justin,

Where I'm coming from is that I looked at a lot about criticism of the foot & mouth modelling years ago and was totally convinced by it. For me, that job doesn't need doing again.

The fact that it's the same bloke this time isn't exactly being publicised. I had only just realised that myself when a search threw up the Telegraph article, and I really hope there will be others like it, perhaps in publications with which you are more in sympathy.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:27 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:17 am
Justin,Where I'm coming from is that I looked at a lot about criticism of the foot & mouth modelling and was totally convinced by it. For me, that job doesn't need doing again.
But if course that's not so for other people.
NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:17 am
The fact that it's the same bloke this time
My problem with this way of looking at it is, it isn't just one bloke. What was the general state of thinking at the time? Was this chap an outlier, or representative? He was a scientist and not a policymaker, so what other evidence and what other authorities were taken into account when taking policy decisions?

I should say, I've no more desire to go through foot-and-mouth on here than I do Brexit, or a host of other items not central to the present discussion. But, since it's come up, the narrative I'm being presented with isn't one I see any particular need to accept.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:07 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:27 am
I should say, I've no more desire to go through foot-and-mouth on here
I cannot agree. Foot & mouth was a major pandemic which was hideously mishandled, with tragic results. Now we are dealing with another major pandemic. Should we not even consider learning from our mistakes?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:49 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:07 am
John Moore wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:15 pm
Mick, that's a heartfelt plea and I can agree with a lot of it but from what I can see, you were six when Edward Heath was elected Prime Minister so I doubt that your views were fully formed at that age :wink:
I was 5 actually John, and I remember that the early 70s were grim :( ; like all the other 5 and 6 year olds, I was massively affected by the education policies of the government, and indeed of governments before I was born

Chess is a game of choices; we all play on the same board, as it were, and we all have the same information, but we make different choices; we then have to accept the consequences i.e. I played well or badly, I won, lost or drew

I'd just like the same to apply to accepting the consequences of who you vote for; you mention elsewhere about Corbyn, and yes, I'd expect he'd not have handled this as well as I would like, but unlike the current government, he's not spent years telling rubbishing experts and so I think the effect of having the current government, as opposed to the alternative, is negative

Take care and stay safe
Morning Mick and good to hear from you. I do understand where you are coming from and I certainly don't intend to start a political argument which isn't the purpose of Paul's thread. In any event, so far as I am concerned, we are now where we are and we just have to get on with it.

Take care and stay safe to you and yours as well.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:02 pm

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... 040123_144

Behind a paywall, but I got far enough to confirm the identity of the "top adviser" in the headline. No surprise.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Re:Prof Neil Ferguson

This morning's Andrew Marr show, subtitles for Sunday Times journalist mentioned "Prof Neil Ferguson's mathematical muddling" quickly corrected to "modelling".

All opinions expressed above are purely those of the entity producing the subtitles.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:25 pm

That is brilliant!

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:06 pm

don't worry be happy...here is a little poem that I wrote in January when the corona virus was largely confined to Wuhan...

Dogs, cats, monkeys and bats.

Dogs, cats, monkeys and bats,
not meant for the dinner table as now all can see.
First came Ebola, then SARS, now Covid 19.
One wonders what's next so please don't eat
Dogs, cats, monkeys and bats.

:)
Last edited by Martin Crichton on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:13 pm

I think that we can safely say that the Poet Laureate's position is safe :lol:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:49 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:02 pm
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... 040123_144

Behind a paywall, but I got far enough to confirm the identity of the "top adviser" in the headline. No surprise.
Well, it's not a surprise to learn that somebody who we previously knew was an adviser continues to be an adviser
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:06 pm

John Moore wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:49 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:07 am
John Moore wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:15 pm
Mick, that's a heartfelt plea and I can agree with a lot of it but from what I can see, you were six when Edward Heath was elected Prime Minister so I doubt that your views were fully formed at that age :wink:
I was 5 actually John, and I remember that the early 70s were grim :( ; like all the other 5 and 6 year olds, I was massively affected by the education policies of the government, and indeed of governments before I was born

Chess is a game of choices; we all play on the same board, as it were, and we all have the same information, but we make different choices; we then have to accept the consequences i.e. I played well or badly, I won, lost or drew

I'd just like the same to apply to accepting the consequences of who you vote for; you mention elsewhere about Corbyn, and yes, I'd expect he'd not have handled this as well as I would like, but unlike the current government, he's not spent years telling rubbishing experts and so I think the effect of having the current government, as opposed to the alternative, is negative

Take care and stay safe
Morning Mick and good to hear from you. I do understand where you are coming from and I certainly don't intend to start a political argument which isn't the purpose of Paul's thread. In any event, so far as I am concerned, we are now where we are and we just have to get on with it.

Take care and stay safe to you and yours as well.
Thanks John: you too
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi John
how about this offering then :)

Fruit bat pie

Little Jack Wong sat in a corner
eating his fruit bat pie
He stuck in his thumb
and pulled out an eye
and said....
oh my! oh my!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:04 pm

So we've all bought the story that it was the Chinese market.... hmmm, interesting.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:10 pm

apparently so....I have been following the story since early Jan and on another chat room forum (investing forum) ....many of the Chinese expats have basically said Wuhan is a really backwater city...and all sorts of crazy stuff goes on there...the rest of China is much more modernised and that kind of market would never be tolerated in bejing for example.
I did buy a few shares in NCYT at 32p and sold them at 154p (they went to 221p an hour after I sold!)

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:48 pm
Hi John
how about this offering then :)

Fruit bat pie

Little Jack Wong sat in a corner
eating his fruit bat pie
He stuck in his thumb
and pulled out an eye
and said....
oh my! oh my!

Martin

Well it's certainly an improvement although it does conjure up an unpleasant image to my mind.