Chess once we restart over the board

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Williams

Re: Chess once we restart over the board

Post by David Williams » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm
i'm speaking to an increasing number of friends who claim to have had the virus, or believe they have had the symptoms. so i guess those people might feel they have some immunity so won't be concerned about any risks that are involved.
The likelihood that such people may exist will keep me indoors for a good while yet.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:19 pm

I think most of us will get it in the end, so unlike we develop a vaccine soon, you are just putting it off until you get it.

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:03 pm

I guess the problem is that most people who have been ill have no way of knowing whether this is because of Covid or an unrelated illness. Lack of testing is a serious issue - and far more so in the UK than say Germany. Equally though, those who test positive are none the wiser as to the level of immunity this actually gives them. There seem to be stories of people potentially catching the thing twice, albeit I appreciate there are other explanations as to why this might be the case (e.g. it's actually just a trace being picked up from the initial infection.)

The more we can test and the better we understand the immunity point, the quicker we can inch back to normality. However, it's hard to see the world fully going back to normal until there is a vaccine that is readily available to all.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 pm

People catching it more than once hasn't yet been totally ruled out, but much of the anecdotal stuff about this is seriously misleading.

(and it would be unlike similar viruses were this the case)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:44 pm

I agree with you Matt. I guess it is just another illustration though of the fact that we don't yet fully understand how this virus works.

The S&P 500 is up 600 on the Gillead Sciences announcement that they think they've found a drug that better treats Covid-19. Again though, there is doubtless a big leap between a company statement and third-party confirmation on something like this. It's also not a vaccine. Even so, this would certainly be welcome news if it turns out to be true.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:29 pm

ben.graff wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:44 pm
The S&P 500 is up 600 on the Gillead Sciences announcement that they think they've found a drug that better treats Covid-19.
Er, what?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:08 pm

"People catching it more than once hasn't yet been totally ruled out, but much of the anecdotal stuff about this is seriously misleading."

And I saw a report that there are already three variants of Covid-19. (I didn't pursue this to its original source, so it may be rubbish or seriously misleading if you prefer.)

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:56 pm

I think there are now rather a lot of posts better suited to the 'worrying times' thread , although if that is to get new lease of life, I'd rather see the thread moved to Not Chess. I don't necessarily come to a chess forum to be constantly reminded about the precarious state of the world especially when so many posters indulge in guesswork and the liberal reproduction of bad science. Lets keep this thread to discussing chess when we resume, whenever that may be.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:12 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:56 pm
I think there are now rather a lot of posts better suited to the 'worrying times' thread , although if that is to get new lease of life, I'd rather see the thread moved to Not Chess. I don't necessarily come to a chess forum to be constantly reminded about the precarious state of the world especially when so many posters indulge in guesswork and the liberal reproduction of bad science. Lets keep this thread to discussing chess when we resume, whenever that may be.
perhaps you could point to the part where people are indulging in bad science. I think you''ll find people are being quite sensible on this forum, compared to others.

there's always one. :roll:

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:22 pm

I'm not going to trawl through this thread and the related one, but not everything posted has been sound. I'm giving other social media a swerve to avoid Covid-19 overload, so am not keen to see so much of it here. This thread was initiated as a life after the pandemic thread, but seems to have relapsed. But I entirely accept mine may be a minority view.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Well the posts I made earlier are related to life after pandemic, what are the consequences of the disease on tournaments etc. can't speak for others.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:09 pm

If over the board chess events are tentatively restarted over the New Year - Hastings? - I wonder if the new normal would be the entire field wearing face masks?

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:15 pm

If that's the case, then count me out...

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:37 am

if schools reopen in three weeks time, will after school chess clubs follow suit? or will they be regarded as an unnecessary risk? can imagine a lot of chess coaches are rather unsure about what is going to happen in this case.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:16 pm

There's periodic speculation on the newspaper sites about restrictions continuing into 2021.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... stmas.html

Chess isn't directly dependent on pubs being open, but it's a form of indoor gathering.