what happens when you pass away as a chess player??

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: what happens when you pass away as a chess player??

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 am

I agree now is the perfect time for a member or officer of each club to go through their graded and ungraded lists.
At Poulton-le-Fylde club we have 184 ungraded. I've counted at least 10 people that I know of that have sadly deceased. I've briefly looked at other clubs in the Blackpool and Fylde Chess League at ungraded and that number has increased to at least 20. I've also looked at clubs that have folded over the years including Blackpool. That number has gone up even more. These are the ones that I definitely know about. I'm sure the officers at the other clubs will know more.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:54 am

Hades, I guess.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:28 pm

Not quite Richard. Be gentle with me. I've just joined the forum. That was my first post. I've sadly need to add a chess friend onto Deaths & Obituaries who died recently from Covid 19. I've been a member and officer at Poulton for over 30 years. My next posts after that will be under chess questions which I'll be asking for your help and advice. By the way how do you start a new thread?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:41 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:28 pm
Not quite Richard. Be gentle with me. I've just joined the forum. That was my first post. I've sadly need to add a chess friend onto Deaths & Obituaries who died recently from Covid 19. I've been a member and officer at Poulton for over 30 years. My next posts after that will be under chess questions which I'll be asking for your help and advice. By the way how do you start a new thread?
Apologies Simon - I was having my own fun with the original question - nothing related to your post!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:28 pm
By the way how do you start a new thread?

Go to the section you prefer (e.g. General Chat) and click on New Topic.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Thank you Richard and Justin. I would like to start a few topics on chess questions and chess history. It has taken me a long time to have the confidence to sign up to the forum. It has upset me a lot reading the comments and threats between people on the topic "worrying times" and put me off . I know it has put off a lot other people from signing up.
Thanks especially to my best friend Nick Ivell in giving me the confidence and support to contribute.
Anyway I'll have a go this afternoon.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:13 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:57 pm
Thank you Richard and Justin. I would like to start a few topics on chess questions and chess history. It has taken me a long time to have the confidence to sign up to the forum. It has upset me a lot reading the comments and threats between people on the topic "worrying times" and put me off . I know it has put off a lot other people from signing up.
Thanks especially to my best friend Nick Ivell in giving me the confidence and support to contribute.
Whilst threads of the kind which you mention do put some people off, others have found over the years that genuine requests for information and support meet with helpful replies. There is a recent example at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10756.

I hope that your experience will also prove to be positive.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:38 pm

"It has upset me a lot reading the comments and threats between people on the topic "worrying times" and put me off . I know it has put off a lot other people from signing up."

What David said. I know people who read this forum assiduously but never post as they don't want to be targeted by trolls. But it's an internet forum, so you must expect "banter" of various kinds. You must also expect some of the worst offenders at trolling to be suddenly the most sensitive if they don't like something!

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:53 pm

I can assure you I'm not a troll. I can promise these are my first posts and people can vouch for me anyway. I just want to talk about chess. I've just put my first topic on chess questions. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Welcome to the forum Simon
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Thank you Mick. I've also started a new topic on chess history. More to come. Better than threats of physical violence and libel on "worrying times".

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:05 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
It has taken me a long time to have the confidence to sign up to the forum. It has upset me a lot reading the comments and threats between people on the topic "worrying times" and put me off . I know it has put off a lot other people from signing up.
I am sorry about that experience, SImon.

My original post in starting that thread, was "Keep safe everyone. Love to all." It was honestly meant, with the intention that others would also share the desire and help support one another and the wider chess community. Sadly, there are always some people who cannot accept such a message, nor share in its intent. No good dead or thought shall go unpunished.

I hope your experience here is a positive one.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:01 pm

Thank you Paul. Good to hear from you.I photocopied a lot of Richmond Rapidplay entry forms for our chess club before lockdown. Hopefully there might be a couple of rapidplays later in the year. Ive still need to do two posts and a new topic on Deaths & Obituaries. I'll give you a call some time soon. Good to see Adam Raoof is keeping his chess tournaments going. You both should be knighted for the amount of work you do down there.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:00 pm

"Sorry if I've offended anyone."

I'm sure you haven't!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:33 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:53 pm
I can assure you I'm not a troll. I can promise these are my first posts and people can vouch for me anyway. I just want to talk about chess. I've just put my first topic on chess questions. Sorry if I've offended anyone.
Oh dear. That's just the sort of misunderstanding that occurs from time to time.

I'm quite sure that Kevin was suggesting that you were worried about becoming the victim of trolls, not that you were one yourself.