Can online chess ever beat the face-to-face over the board experience?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Re: Can online chess ever beat the face-to-face over the board experience?

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:58 am
If sighted opponents are arranged diagonally each with their own board, you might be able to squeeze a distance of a metre and a half between them across the diagonal. They would still have to share a clock, which one of them wouldn't be able to see and shout moves at each other.

Players could both turn up with laptops, tablets or phones, sit two metres apart and relay moves using a server. That runs into many of the disadvantages of using online servers for serious chess.
I can't help feeling that wearing suitable PPE would be much easier. If everyone had to wear face masks, how much risk would they be taking?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 am

I am doing my first online Golders Green rapid this Saturday - https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/none/eve ... apid-chess

Hampstead (a proper weekender) to follow

Just done two junior events of 100 players and on Zoom / Jitsi and people said it was their best online experience so far!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon May 11, 2020 11:32 am

Ian Thompson wrote: If everyone had to wear face masks, how much risk would they be taking?
Probably much the same risk as if we didn't wear them, but that really isn't the point. If the Government's experts say that is the price of being allowed to play chess, I expect I would pay it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon May 11, 2020 11:51 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:58 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:47 am
What's the distance between a blind player and his opponent? At least in that case, only one player is handling the clock and the pieces, which might be a potential way forward
Depends how it's set up. Some tournaments have it arranged so that in time pressure an arbiter can sit directly opposite the sighted opponent, so it's a diagonal arrangement between the players.

If sighted opponents are arranged diagonally each with their own board, you might be able to squeeze a distance of a metre and a half between them across the diagonal. They would still have to share a clock, which one of them wouldn't be able to see and shout moves at each other.
Ok, that's an improvement, but not a solution; you could turn the clock round after moving so the opponent can see the time, but of course the difficulty then is remembering which display is yours
Any postings on here represent my personal views

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Mon May 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Re. "How far apart?", there is, I fear, a bit more to it than that. Apart from the direct risk of sitting opposite your opponent for an extended period, and sharing the clock, there's the question of room air and ventilation, plus that bugbear of all chess venues, the sordid toilet - now potentially not just sordid, but virus-transmitting. Here is a good clear article written by an academic microbiologist (infectious disease expert) explaining some of this.

Weirdly, one thing which springs to mind is that the likeliest chess venue in the Northern Hemisphere this Summer might be parks - i.e. playing outdoors. Probably not a desperately viable option in the UK's unreliable weather, but might work farther South.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon May 11, 2020 1:15 pm

You can even theoretically do that right now (from Wednesday?), assuming you have two sets and can work out how to pass moves over a distance of 2m without driving everyone else in the park mad......

Although I really would just listen to Nicola Sturgeon (and Wales) instead.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon May 11, 2020 4:03 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:15 pm
can work out how to pass moves over a distance of 2m without driving everyone else in the park mad......
Text messaging would be simple enough.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon May 11, 2020 4:49 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:03 pm
MartinCarpenter wrote:
can work out how to pass moves over a distance of 2m without driving everyone else in the park mad......
Text messaging would be simple enough.
But how do you text without using a banned electronic device?

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon May 11, 2020 5:08 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Although I really would just listen to Nicola Sturgeon (and Wales) instead.
Then you should. We'll see you when you've had enough of living like Anne Frank.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon May 11, 2020 5:11 pm

Did the Clapham Common club in London have an inside venue? When I lived next to CC (1973-75) there were chess tables on the common itself and you saw people playing but whether they were members of the CC club or CC club members ever played on the common, I never discovered. (The CC clubs won various Surrey trophies over the years.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 11, 2020 7:00 pm

"But how do you text without using a banned electronic device?"

I'm sure my late father would have recommended semaphore or an Aldis Lamp.

Of course some idiot would claim it was distracting.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon May 11, 2020 8:46 pm

Take club demo board out for a walk. Meet a friend. Hang board up. Keep distance. Enjoy game. Pass on arrange collection by other pair.

Allow device in pocket but enjoy banter by device after. IF you are lucky pick up a coffee/tea.

from Wednesday.

I really could not just listen to Nicola Sturgeon after I watched last night 'The Windsors'. :lol:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon May 11, 2020 9:54 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:46 pm
Take club demo board out for a walk. Meet a friend. Hang board up. Keep distance. Enjoy game. Pass on arrange collection by other pair.

Allow device in pocket but enjoy banter by device after. IF you are lucky pick up a coffee/tea.
Excellent idea. We found an ice cream van in the park the other day.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri May 15, 2020 9:59 am

With Boris Johnson relaxing lockdown restrictions, I suppose technically you can drive with the board up north and play on Blackpool beach or drive to the lake district. So long as your back home at the end of the day.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri May 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Not the Lake District, everyone (police, MRT teams etc) involved has been very clear about staying away there.

The NW - not just, but especially, Cumbria - are still suffering very badly and need a few more weeks yet.