Chess once we restart over the board

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: Chess once we restart over the board

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon May 11, 2020 10:14 am

Making last season null and void would be perfect for Poulton. In our league there is no promotion or relegation. Teams choose which division they want to play in according to total grades of players. So what happens is players are effectively promoted and relegated.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat May 16, 2020 12:49 am

I can't see a points per game working in chess like they are planning in Football League Two.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Sun May 17, 2020 11:52 am

A league I play in is considering the feasibility of re-starting on 1st September. My initial response was that this is entirely unrealistic - but I now wonder if this might have some legs - anything we speculate would have to be severely tested by developments over the next few months and I am sure that many of our members - especially over-70 and with "underlying health conditions" would understandably not take additional risks...

... but how about:
(a) No more than 12 (14?) in a room. Everyone brings their own set and board and sits >2m away from any other player - including the opponent. One person with gloves sets all the clocks, which after the match are left isolated for at least 3 days before re-use. One of the two players is responsible for pressing the clock fr both players. Adjust time limits if wishes for a reduced session. White makes a move, calls it out and makes sure that black has heard. Both players make the move on their board (rather like as for players with sight disabilities). No handshakes etc. Improve ventilation somehow - assumes the venue is open anyway etc etc
or (b) a perspex screen is fitted over the board with a slot at the bottom to enable moves to be made but the screen extends so that players are not breathing "at" each other

is it all worth it? Some of the online tournaments being set up are a great substitute for me.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:52 am
is it all worth it?

Do you think anyone would play under those conditions? You also have the problem as to how players travel to the match.

Increasingly I'm having difficulty in seeing how OTB chess, alongside other activities like Bridge, Cribbage, amateur Darts, Backgammon, Poker etc can possibly resume until such time, if ever, that you can associate with people outside your household without a fear, whether Government mandated or otherwise, that they might infect you with a fatal disease.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun May 17, 2020 1:21 pm

Well even in the absence of a vaccine or total virus eradication, the time may well come when many judge the risk low enough to make OTB chess (and similar activities) feasible - especially with appropriate precautions still in place.

When that will happen is still very much in the air, however.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun May 17, 2020 2:17 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:
A league I play in is considering the feasibility of re-starting on 1st September. My initial response was that this is entirely unrealistic - but I now wonder if this might have some legs - anything we speculate would have to be severely tested by developments over the next few months and I am sure that many of our members - especially over-70 and with "underlying health conditions" would understandably not take additional risks...
That's interesting Andy, which league is that?

The Manchester League have just issued a consultation to member clubs, so as to inform our discussions about the possibility of resuming, if safe to do so, at the end of September; like you, I fear this is unrealsitic, but there's a variety of views, and it makes sense to find out from clubs what their position may be

There's not just the players being willing, or not, to play OTB, there's the question of venues (when will they reopen, if at all in some cases)

We do have some clubs with fixtures scheduled for more than 1 of their temas to play at home on the same evening; if that's not going to be possible, then I'm going to have to make chnages to the draft fixture list, but of course that does depend on individual venues (some clubs have more than 1 room available to host matches)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon May 18, 2020 10:49 pm

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:13 pm
Andy Stoker wrote:
is it all worth it?
Do you think anyone would play under those conditions? You also have the problem as to how players travel to the match.
I discussed this with my chess club chairman last night; his view was that getting everybody to the club to play a home match was difficult (some don't drive) and thus away matches would be impossible unless players were ok with being together in a car
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Chess Congresses and National Chess Leagues escaped the name check, but you can see the point.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... cases.html

There is a certain amount of natural distancing at a chess tournament, but it's only about half a metre to a metre except for crowding round the pairing lists.

I think Horntye is relatively immune with the high ceiling and the fans, but I can recall how the coughing in the Falaise Hall in Hastings would build up as the days progressed and acquiring a winter cold was a hazard of playing.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue May 19, 2020 11:38 pm

"I can recall how the coughing in the Falaise Hall in Hastings would build up as the days progressed and acquiring a winter cold was a hazard of playing."

Same at any long tournament, you can tell what round it is from the number of people coughing.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 20, 2020 8:50 am

Report of an experiment in Austria, showing that it's at least physically possible to play at a metre distance.But no leaning over the board.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/long-distance-chess

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed May 20, 2020 9:34 am

Five brave players indeed! They were more likely to be struck by lightning than to catch Covid-19.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 am

"When I am asked to play in the Online-4NCL, I like to sit in the yard to enjoy the evening air, and perhaps a glass of red wine with a little cheese. Occasionally, I chat with my teammates via WhatsApp. "

Has he been banned for that?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed May 20, 2020 11:42 am

This blog post - written by a Comparative Immunologist and Professor of Biology - considers how the virus is transmitted and looks at several case studies. To quote:

"Indoor spaces, with limited air exchange or recycled air and lots of people, are concerning from a transmission standpoint. We know that 60 people in a volleyball court-sized room (choir) results in massive infections. Same situation with the restaurant and the call center. Social distancing guidelines don't hold in indoor spaces where you spend a lot of time, as people on the opposite side of the room were infected."

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm

The ECU are having a meeting to discuss this tomorrow:
ECU wrote:Four Invited Doctors & Scientists who are familiar with the chess activities will take part in the meeting, introduce and propose ways and protocols which could be followed to restart the Chess over board activities, firstly in National Level, and then in the International level.