Chess once we restart over the board

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John McKenna

Re: Chess once we restart over the board

Post by John McKenna » Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 pm

'Invited' medics & boffins "familiar with" the wider activity under scrutiny could be a little bit biased.

Also, while we're at it, some of the Austrian players in the Chessbase report, linked to above, look to be a little bit biased towards being in an at-risk category.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed May 20, 2020 2:39 pm

There are now scientists for any and all occasions -
... They argue that there is now “no alternative” but to end lockdown in order to “start the engine of society again”...
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-l ... 22610.html

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed May 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Hmmm, smells just a bit Spiked-y to me - is there an actual connection?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed May 20, 2020 3:14 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 pm
'Invited' medics & boffins "familiar with" the wider activity under scrutiny could be a little bit biased.

Also, while we're at it, some of the Austrian players in the Chessbase report, linked to above, look to be a little bit biased towards being in an at-risk category.
John, I think that in your second sentence you are as kind as anyone could be about one of the participants, in particular.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed May 20, 2020 7:41 pm

I don't understand these coded posts, but the fact that some people in more enlightened jurisdictions are actually managing to play chess cheers me up a little.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed May 20, 2020 10:38 pm

I tend to agree, Nick, If you are alluding to Matt M's -
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:07 pm
Hmmm, smells just a bit Spiked-y to me - is there an actual connection?
Perhaps he means a 'connection' between the subject of the thread and the Yahoo News report I linked to above.

If so, then the end of the stricter forms of the lockdown should herald a return to a time when close encounters of the chessical kind that you linked to, above, begin to become possible once again.

John M's post is straightforward enough -
John Moore wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:14 pm
John McKenna wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:10 pm

John, I think that in your second sentence you are as kind as anyone could be about one of the participants, in particular.
John, this is what done it -

https://www.strudelandschnitzel.com/

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Iceland is restarting.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 24, 2020 1:32 am

Brian Towers wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm
Iceland is restarting.
There was on piece on the late night BBC news to the effect that the Channel Isles had almost completely eliminated the virus. Their problem was that they had done this by isolating themselves from visitors and this was seriously damaging the parts of their economy that were dependent on tourist income. The Guernsey Festival in October has already been cancelled.

It's certainly a problem that (large) indoor groups would seem to be potential disease spreaders, compounded for UK chess players (and Bridge players) that many are in the more aged at risk groups.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun May 24, 2020 8:43 am

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun May 24, 2020 9:19 am

Problem solved.

I have put in a bulk order with a supplier for Dominic Cummings masks.

Once these arrive normal chess can resume immediately with no worries about breaking sanctions.

Claims that the opponent is being distracting by pulling grotesque faces will be dismissed :D

On a more serious note, even if his journey to Durham was justified what justification is there for the return journey?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:19 am
Problem solved.

I have put in a bulk order with a supplier for Dominic Cummings masks.

Once these arrive normal chess can resume immediately with no worries about breaking sanctions.

Claims that the opponent is being distracting by pulling grotesque faces will be dismissed :D

On a more serious note, even if his journey to Durham was justified what justification is there for the return journey?
With all due respect to Alex, if I want to see a debate between the supporters and critics of Dominic Cummings, then it's more or less ubiquitous and I might have hoped that this forum would be an exception.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 24, 2020 10:32 am

{Moderator Hat}

Discussion of the activities of Dominic Cummings is perfectly fine, but I'd prefer it to reside in the Not Chess! section of the forum.

{/Moderator Hat}

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun May 24, 2020 11:36 am

I think Alex M's suggestion about using a joker mask as a get-out-of-jail-free card for congregating chessplayers is a just a joke and nothing more.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun May 24, 2020 12:02 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:36 am
I think Alex M's suggestion about using a joker mask as a get-out-of-jail-free card for congregating chessplayers is a just a joke and nothing more.
I'm sure you're right and I felt it was fine as a one-off joke but didn't want the topic descending into a DC-centred debate.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun May 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Right, Roger.

Of course, Alex M ended with a leading question, above.

And, Jack (in the hat) was right to direct any posts on that subject to the department of Not Chess! Can't see it taking off there myself

The post, above, by Brian Towers about (junior) OTB chess restarting in Iceland shows how it was done there but is not that indicative of when it might be achieved here in mainland Britain or mainland Europe.

The small-scale alfresco Austrian model - linked to further above (by Nick F?) - replete with tape measures and (optional) PPE doesn't look likey to catch on apart from at Loz Cooper garden party style events. (No offence to Loz - I'm sure they are full of fun.)