ECF Finance Meeting

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Nick Grey

Re: ECF Finance Meeting

Post by Nick Grey » Tue May 19, 2020 11:20 pm

Atm I will not renew until I play again. Hopefully some time in 2021.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm hoping it will be sooner. I will probably still renew my membership the same time in September, unless the ECF instructs us not to.
For me, I feel like I'm supporting the ECF and chess in general.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm
Of course, if the ECF were relying on game fee income rather than membership, the situation would be worse
The English Bridge Union have a system akin to Game Fee - and their situation is worse.

https://www.ebu.co.uk/node/3812

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat May 30, 2020 10:21 pm

David

I note they also have an 'abusive behaviour' warning prominently displayed. Is this precautionary or are a significant number of bridge players a difficult bunch? I won't ask you to say whether they are better or worse than chess players.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat May 30, 2020 10:49 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:21 pm
I note they also have an 'abusive behaviour' warning prominently displayed. Is this precautionary or are a significant number of bridge players a difficult bunch? I won't ask you to say whether they are better or worse than chess players.
It's about 15 years since I last played a significant amount of bridge, but I would say precautionary.

In normal times, the EBU has a significantly larger paid staff than the ECF and ordinary players have more contact with them.

Also, the EBU's disciplinary procedures are wider in scope than the practice in the ECF. For instance, they will take action against anyone being abusive to hotel staff, even if the incident takes place outside the playing venue (in chess terms).

But in my experience problems of this nature are mercifully rare in both mind sports.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:15 pm

The ECF has sent a email out to the reps to say that the ECF Finance Council meeting will be held on Zoom on July 18th at 1:30pm till 6pm

So hope to hear from the league etc to see how we should vote etc
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:47 pm

I know that Me and Keith will be Taking to the Silver Members to see how they wanted us to vote?

at the moment the fees is a bit like a double edge sword, as no one know when there will be over the board chess in the Uk and also when Congress will be play again?

i did have a Idea that the ECF should offer to the members a fee of something like to be a Member and to play Online chess then it should be £10 for Adult and £5 for junior, but get it back when OTB is back for the money to be transfer to whichever membership you would like (bronze, silver or Gold)

what your views?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:09 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:47 pm
i did have a Idea that the ECF should offer to the members a fee of something like to be a Member and to play Online chess then it should be £10 for Adult and £5 for junior, but get it back when OTB is back for the money to be transfer to whichever membership you would like (bronze, silver or Gold)

what your views?
If you wish to make that a formal proposal, then I suspect you need to do so in a hurry. I have not looked up the rules.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:10 pm

I need to talk to the other Silver Rep and also to the Bronze and Gold members

I am open to options but we need to make sure the ECF survived, but at the same time getting people to pay and support the ECF

I think the ECF is proposal to keep it the same but how you expect a bronze/silver/gold member to pay £20 plus for no OTB chess

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:59 pm

I'd like to see the state of ECF finances before deciding on something like that; really not clear to me what the situation will be

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:18 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:59 pm
really not clear to me what the situation will be
Probably, as of now, not much change. BUT the forecast could/will be dire. Odds against any OTB chess this calendar year (absent an early trustable vaccine); and poor odds for any OTB chess before Summer 2021. Even then, safe (ie risk-free) OTB playing conditions may, for practical reasons, inhibit widespread resumption for club/leagues/congresses.

Hence, a budget forecast for 2020-21 and forward will need to anticipate heaven-knows-what decline in membership. Previous estimates based on membership growth are now out of the window. Prospects look bleak. We're going to need to pull together if ECF and our clubs are to ride this out

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:13 am

David Robertson wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:18 pm
[Odds against any OTB chess this calendar year (absent an early trustable vaccine); and poor odds for any OTB chess before Summer 2021. Even then, safe (ie risk-free) OTB playing conditions may, for practical reasons, inhibit widespread resumption for club/leagues/congresses.
At the cost of mostly sealing itself off from the outside world, New Zealand is able to return to normality. The same may apply in the near future to the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey for their residents, if not visitors. It remains a doubt as to when or even ever whether England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland would be able to do the same. An initial stage would be a relaxation of the two metre rule, as demonstrated in the test event in Austria.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:53 pm

Relaxing the 2 metre rule would be very risky. Unless everyone was forced to wear gloves, masks and visors.
The other places in the UK that might return to normal are some of the other extremities like Lundy,Sark, Orkney and Shetland.
Possibly down the line the Isle of Wight like in The Day of the Triffids.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:53 pm
Relaxing the 2 metre rule would be very risky. Unless everyone was forced to wear gloves
?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Regettably we are not Austria. There are too many cases, not enough test, track and trace. Also the NHS app is not up and running except in the Isle of Wight.
I'm afraid I agree with David Robertson on this.