ECF Online County Championship

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Mike Gunn

Re: ECF Online County Championship

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri May 15, 2020 9:17 am

Surrey will be entering two teams in the ECF Online County Championship.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri May 15, 2020 9:40 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:21 pm
Group stage divided into groups of say 6 counties - probably on a regional basis
Surely there's no need to have a regional split in an online competition? I'd have thought playing against someone you otherwise wouldn't meet was a plus, rather than the possibility of playing someone who might play in the same leagues or congresses as you
Surely this, yes?

Unless its an amusing excuse to get Lancashire and Manchester playing each other :)

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon May 18, 2020 9:48 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:40 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:21 pm
Group stage divided into groups of say 6 counties - probably on a regional basis
Surely there's no need to have a regional split in an online competition? I'd have thought playing against someone you otherwise wouldn't meet was a plus, rather than the possibility of playing someone who might play in the same leagues or congresses as you
Surely this, yes?

Unless its an amusing excuse to get Lancashire and Manchester playing each other :)
Knowing Lancashire, and the NCCU President they would Veto us taking part as they would to play one game to get to the finals.

I give Yorkshire a lot of credit as they would welcome Manchester, but Lancashire are scared of Manchester and what we stand for and you can see that in previous forums, but One person Is Scared of what is right for chess as he think he is a Supreme Leader of Lancashire and that is why people like that lives in the past.
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun May 31, 2020 4:21 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:17 am
Surrey will be entering two teams in the ECF Online County Championship.
The list I've seen has 19 in the Open, 7 in the u1825 (ECF u150), and 6 pending a final decision (either to enter, or which section I guess)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm

I do wish this initiative well : online chess may well be a great opportunity for chess.

Indeed I hoped to play for a Middlesex team. My recent internet chess experience of losing repeatedly and quickly in the opening (after 1. b3 which I have been playing for 40 years) is that the "live" use of engines for "enhancing" opening play is far from unknown. IMHO distinguishing between use before and during a game seems an impossible task even for ECF chess administrators.

Simply put I am sceptical about solving this cheating problem. Generally I don't care a great deal but how is the great North v South English battle , which is the County Championship, going to solve this : no rhetoric ,please.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm

IanCalvert wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm
Simply put I am sceptical about solving this cheating problem. Generally I don't care a great deal but how is the great North v South English battle , which is the County Championship, going to solve this : no rhetoric ,please.
I can only refer you to the ECF Online Fair Play Policy at https://englishchessonline.org.uk/wp-co ... ACv2_1.pdf and to the ECF Online Counties Championship Rules at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... -Rules.pdf.

They may or may not suffice, but weeks of thought and effort have gone into them.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:24 am

20 teams in the Open and 12 in the u1825

That's not a bad turnout, and includes counties that don't play the OTB version

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:39 am

There'll be warm-up matches to begin with -
B.3 The Divisional and Group allocation of teams shall be published on Friday 5th June together with team nomination lists used for the allocation.

B.4 An ECF rated preliminary round will be played on Saturday 6th June for all teams and captains to become accustomed to the match and playing arrangements. Where feasible teams will be paired against similar opposition from a different group. The results will not count towards league standings. The competition rules will apply.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:42 am

Sensible to have warm ups. Even with Appendix A in the policy doucments being so clearly written there'll no doubt be more than a few inevitable mix ups with setting the games up :)

The turnout isn't bad at all, if obviously well down vs the face to face events. County Chess is definitely, in principle, rather well suited to online play.

Face to face you either get the same people from the counties next to you for years on end or massive journey times.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:59 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:42 am
Sensible to have warm ups. Even with Appendix A in the policy doucments being so clearly written there'll no doubt be more than a few inevitable mix ups with setting the games up :)
Yes. I noticed a 4NCL game last night which was being played to the wrong time limit, so players still not getting it right in round 9.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:03 pm

Sadly, the much-awaited clash of Lancashire and Greater Manchester seems to be a non-starter. And it would have been ideal, they wouldn't even need to be in the same room as each other.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:03 pm
Sadly, the much-awaited clash of Lancashire and Greater Manchester seems to be a non-starter. And it would have been ideal, they wouldn't even need to be in the same room as each other.
We're often in the same teams, let alone same room, in the 4NCL Manchester Manticores :wink:

It's just a Lancs official or 2 that's the problem :roll:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 pm

"It's just a Lancs official or 2 that's the problem "

I guess that's true everywhere - it's rare for any organization to have lots of obnoxious people, you just need one or two. Sometimes they contaminate others in the club (or whatever) of course. Anyway, I'm originally from Yorkshire, so any internecine strife in Lancashire causes some amusement! Although, obviously it would be nice to have peace and love throughout chess.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:15 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 pm
Although, obviously it would be nice to have peace and love throughout chess.
I think bannings for alleged online cheating have dealt with that risk.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 am

Pairings have changed
Preliminary Round - Pairings – Saturday 6th June
OPEN
Northumberland v Middlesex A
Norfolk v Yorkshire
Essex v Devon
Greater Manchester v Surrey v Leicestershire (2/3 Triangular)
Cheshire & North Wales v Bedfordshire & Huntingdonshire
Gloucestershire v Worcestershire
Oxfordshire v Shropshire
Berkshire v Cumbria
Hampshire v Warwickshire
Derbyshire v Somerset
U1825
Surrey v Norfolk
Northumberland v Oxfordshire
Leicestershire v Essex v Middlesex (2/3 Triangular)
The National
ECF Marauders v ECF All Stars
Results will appear here later in the week ahead of the Group Stage rounds staring on 13th June.

Matches are played on Saturday evenings at 6:30pm at a rate of G60/15"