How Big is Your Database?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

How Big is Your Database?

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:40 am

In another thread this player is mentioned.

He says "From a database of some 30 million games ..."

This looks like an extremely high number to me unless there are many millions of duplicated games. ChessBase's Mega and Big databases, for example, are only just over 8 million games.

How many unique games do you think someone could collect if they bought and downloaded everything available?

How big is your database?

Eric Gardiner

Re: How Big is Your Database?

Post by Eric Gardiner » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:17 am

From the link, I presume you are asking about correspondence and OTB games only and I don't know the answer. If you include any sort of chess game, then Lichess has over 75 million games for May 2020 alone available for download.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:28 am

Ian - openingmaster.com claims to have 29 million games. The link is on Lars Balzer's Downloads Index - more than that I don't know. I certainly haven't bothered downloading it. MegaBase does all that I want.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 am

"How big is your database?"

About 13 million games, but it has come down a bit as I found some duplicates and am deleting them gradually.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 am

Eric Gardiner wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:17 am
From the link, I presume you are asking about correspondence and OTB games only and I don't know the answer. If you include any sort of chess game, then Lichess has over 75 million games for May 2020 alone available for download.
Yes, I was thinking of OTB and CC games, not online blitz games.
John Moore wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:28 am
Ian - openingmaster.com claims to have 29 million games. The link is on Lars Balzer's Downloads Index - more than that I don't know. I certainly haven't bothered downloading it. MegaBase does all that I want.
I'd never heard of that. A quick look says it consists of about 9 million OTB games, 2 million CC games and 18 million "portal" games, which I assume means chess.com, lichess, etc. games.

If it lives up to their claims - "If ... you don’t mind paying for a annual fee in order to ensure your victory against all your future opponents, then Opening Master is without a doubt the right chess database for you." - it should eliminate any temptation to cheat with a computer. :lol: