Membership Renewal

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Tim Spanton

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:24 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 pm
Of course what some of us still think of as "real" chess will return. Its just a question of when and how.
I should hope so - Swiss chess starts again in less than a month: https://www.bielchessfestival.ch/Homepage.html

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:51 am

Online Renewal

Last year, if I remember correctly, there were some issues with the online membership process.
A lot of members memberships expired, & monies from direct debits were collected late after the start of the new membership year.
I think this resulted in some members renewing twice & the phrase doppelganger being used.

I presume these issues will have been resolved in time for up & coming renewal period?
Although the ECF may appreciate the financial benefits of doppelganger membership.
Paul Robert Jackson

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:49 pm

As regards the payment of club subs, I favour the idea of players paying up in full this season, regardless of whether or not we have a full seasons otb chess..... not least because it gives clubs the chance to boost there funds, since many seem to run on a shoe string budget with little in the kitty for a rainy day.
As regards the future, if we can have the 1 meter distancing rule for contact purposes, that would not be bad for most clubs, I don't think. Along with perhaps the compulsory wearing of face masks. Incidentally, I do favour the retention of the handshake. Its a time honoured custom that would be sad to loss.
I do wonder how many `friendly` viruses are being `killed off` by this regime, not to mention the damage it is doing to the economy. Look at it another way.. if they don't change the rules on this distance thing, what will happen to our football teams. Take Man Utd for instance, they would need to cut the ground capacity to under 30,000 I reckon to meet the current requirements. I just don't see them or other Premier league teams standing for that.
The damage being done to the economy by this will surely be compounded by the Brexit farce, when we pull out of the EU this December.. and find ourselves with few real trading partners. I`m losing hope with the Yanks on this one. I`m sure
Mr Trump will continue to put the US first in any deals we strike..assuming they get through the current virous pandemic in one piece
BRING BACK THE BCF

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:11 pm

I will be paying my full ECF membership in full and on time.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:16 pm

Now that the Direct Debit's by GoCardless have been cancelled, will members wishing to pay by Direct Debit have to set up a new Direct Debit?

Or are the ECF considering reintroducing 3 year memberships?
.........this could be better for ECF future financial planning.
Paul Robert Jackson

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:35 pm

The question of 3 year memberships was raised at the Finance Meeting.
The current Finance Director rejected the idea as being an administrative nightmare due to the difficulties in apportioning the money over the 3 year period.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:16 pm
Now that the Direct Debit's by GoCardless have been cancelled, will members wishing to pay by Direct Debit have to set up a new Direct Debit?

Or are the ECF considering reintroducing 3 year memberships?
.........this could be better for ECF future financial planning.
some people are not fans of it, but maybe you can speak to your rep and asked to raised it
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:40 pm

Alex already gave the Finance Council update.

Like all things ECF at the moment, the financial strategy is to muddle through to October as best possible and hope to know more then. Certainly possible this will be reviewed, but difficult to know who Malcolm Pein ...oops, sorry... Council will appoint as FD and what they will suggest at this stage

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:40 pm
Any chance of showing me a link to where this update is located.
Thank-you.
Paul Robert Jackson

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Any chance of showing me a link to where this update is located.
Thank-you.
Alex McFarlane wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:35 pm
The question of 3 year memberships was raised at the Finance Meeting.
The current Finance Director rejected the idea as being an administrative nightmare due to the difficulties in apportioning the money over the 3 year period.
I just meant this post. I wrote something similar and then realised Alex beat me to it. Official minutes, reports back to county AGMs etc will probably take a few months.

Andrew Walker

Post by Andrew Walker » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:16 pm

In case any forum readers are unclear, all ECF members who paid their membership by Direct Debit last year need take no action should they wish to pay by Direct Debit in 2020-2021 and remain members at the same level. We hope to put the 2020-2021 memberships on sale shortly, and current members will receive an email when we are ready. There will be a link to guidance which will explain how members can cancel a Direct Debit if they wish, how to change the payment details (such as the bank account from which the payment is to come), or what to do if they wish to change level of membership when paying by Direct Debit.
Some confusion may have arisen as a result of a tidying-up exercise undertaken by office staff on Friday 17th July, whereby around 150 Direct Debits were transferred to the Azolve membership system and from GoCardless. All affected members received an email explaining what we were doing, letting them know they need take no action. They also received a mandatory notification explaining the Direct Debit in GoCardless with the ECF had been cancelled.
Any members with queries can contact the ECF office and we will be happy to help.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:

Like all things ECF at the moment, the financial strategy is to muddle through to October as best possible and hope to know more then. Certainly possible this will be reviewed, but difficult to know who Malcolm Pein ...oops, sorry... Council will appoint as FD and what they will suggest at this stage
Have we any idea who will be standing for Finance Director?

I was asked to stand (and said no), so clearly the bottom of the barrel has been found :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Is the ECF office open?

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:00 pm

It was reported that the office staff would start work this week. (Not sure if that meant the office would be open full time)

The Chair put out an appeal for anyone interested in the position to come forward. Some Board members then said that a (unnamed) candidate had been identified. However, the appeal still stood.

(I assume I wasn't the only one at the meeting!!)

David Clayton

Post by David Clayton » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:06 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:00 pm

........(I assume I wasn't the only one at the meeting!!)
But you were obviously awake at that point and paying attention, not gone to make a brew, or put the cat out etc. etc.