Membership Renewal

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Joey Stewart

Re: Membership Renewal

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:13 am

The grading list will give an indication I should think - that keeps tabs on who has got a membership.
I'm going to guess a lot of players will be on the fence about rejoining, if there is a second lockdown around Christmas (typically the time that diseases start to spread) it could write off another half a season which is now going to amount to an entire year of lost membership fees
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm

I renewed today, although if I were being completely dispassionate and objective, I do wonder why I felt a duty and obligation to do so. I acknowledge and appreciate the efforts and enthusiasm of individuals (especially the volunteers), but there is a voice in my mind which asks what the ECF is for and what value I (from a selfish perspective) get for £39 per year. I ask similar questions about the indirect costs to joining rugby and cricket clubs for affiliation to the respective national bodies.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Martin Benjamin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm
I renewed today, although if I were being completely dispassionate and objective, I do wonder why I felt a duty and obligation to do so. I acknowledge and appreciate the efforts and enthusiasm of individuals (especially the volunteers), but there is a voice in my mind which asks what the ECF is for and what value I (from a selfish perspective) get for £39 per year. I ask similar questions about the indirect costs to joining rugby and cricket clubs for affiliation to the respective national bodies.
My (selfish) reasons for renewing:
1. I get excited about my grade, and will get even more excited if monthly updates ever appear.
2. I need to be an ECF member, I believe, to play in Fide-rated events abroad (the only OTB events I am playing in at the moment).
3. I like to be able to say I support (English) chess.
4. I know I would only waste the £39 in some other way, or, to paraphrase George Best, spend it on other useful things such as "wine, women and song."

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:41 pm
2. I need to be an ECF member, I believe, to play in Fide-rated events abroad (the only OTB events I am playing in at the moment).
I do not see how this can be correct. I am not commenting on the other three reasons given.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
4. I know I would only waste the £39 in some other way, or, to paraphrase George Best, spend it on other useful things such as "wine, women and song."
I believe GB spent the bulk of his readies on

Booze, birds and fast cars.

The rest, was wasted.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:38 pm
Booze, birds and fast cars.

The rest, was wasted.
The only time I saw George in person was in a KIngs Road pub on a Sunday afternoon when he was submerged in the first two. Probably the third was parked outside on a double yellow, I didn't check.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:08 pm

I think wine, women and song is correct ... but the online verdict is not unanimous:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... CA0&uact=5

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:24 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Martin Benjamin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 pm
My (selfish) reasons for renewing:
1. I get excited about my grade, and will get even more excited if monthly updates ever appear.
3. I like to be able to say I support (English) chess.
I had no qualms about rejoining, qualifying '2' above with being eligible to play in any event requiring Gold membership, and qualifying '4' above with taking advantage of the Chess & Bridge offer. For Gold Members this means a £39 discount on orders of £80+. I know this is like Buy One Get One Free, sometimes regarded as the mug's charter, but I am going to treat myself. I repeat the obvious: it's less than the cost of a tank of petrol spread over a whole year, and if I were to buy stuff from Chess & Bridge anyway, the cost is nil.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:23 am

I have renewed my silver membership in the knowledge that Cleveland Chess association has suspended all chess until sometime in the new year. Supporting the national federation in these difficult times is essential, it has outgoings to meet. I am very happy to spend the money which after all is less than a meal out.
I am 74 and hope that chess gets back to normal before the end of the perch arrives. I have been playing for 50 years and this year will be the first time in all those years that I wont be playing league chess from October, not to worry though I am still alive!

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:23 am
I have renewed my silver membership in the knowledge that Cleveland Chess association has suspended all chess until sometime in the new year. Supporting the national federation in these difficult times is essential, it has outgoings to meet. I am very happy to spend the money which after all is less than a meal out.
I am 74 and hope that chess gets back to normal before the end of the perch arrives. I have been playing for 50 years and this year will be the first time in all those years that I wont be playing league chess from October, not to worry though I am still alive!
Thanks you for support the ECF and hope you vote for the rep next season
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:23 am
I can't believe you're 74. When I've seen you at Scarborough Chess Congress, I thought you were 50.
What's the secret?

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks for that. No idea. Both my sons (50 &47) have very little hair in fact one is bald. Mine grows so well the barber does not believe my age! Maybe being married to the same women for 51 years, been together 53 years, helps! It must help her because she often gets taken for a 50-60 year old whereas she's 74 this year. I think she's better looking now than when we got wed but don't tell her that.
Regarding the main point of this thread, I really hope people support the ECF not least to keep those who get paid, in a job.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:25 pm

I'm not sure if this was a recommendation for fidelity or for polygamy!

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Fidelity! why go elsewhere when everything one needs is at home :D . Seen too many colleagues go to an early grave due to the lifestyle they chose. Burning candles at both ends never ends well! :shock:

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:52 pm
Fidelity! why go elsewhere when everything one needs is at home :D . Seen too many colleagues go to an early grave due to the lifestyle they chose. Burning candles at both ends never ends well! :shock:
Sorry to hear about Cleveland Chess effectively shutting down for the year.
At least you've got Northumberland Chess Congress on the other side of the Tyne next month.
There is also Harrogate Congress that's replaced Scarborough Chess Congress easy to get to for you.