(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:00 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:01 am
I'll decide a couple of days before Northumberland whether it is worth the risk.
One of the risks now being that local COVID wardens or police will declare it an illegal gathering.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:22 am

Mike Gunn wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 am
Don't shoot the messenger.
As far as I know Northumberland, Fareham and Harrogate are all still going ahead as planned.
They are still accepting entries.
The government have just shot the messenger.
According to the new legislation it is now illegal to organise or participate in a chess congress, club evening or league match with more than 6 participants.
Get ready to pay your £100 fines!
I doubt if your interpretation is correct. For example, it is not illegal for 60 people to turn up at a (large enough and willing) pub or restaurant and sit down to play chess. whether a congress, club evening or league match, at 10 separate tables

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 am

In case anyone missed the opinion the ECF published yesterday
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/new-hm- ... uidelines/

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:31 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:00 am
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:01 am
I'll decide a couple of days before Northumberland whether it is worth the risk.
One of the risks now being that local COVID wardens or police will declare it an illegal gathering.
I was thinking more about health risks to my bubble and others.
If we do get back to April May levels, it would be a very adverse risk reward assessment.

For police/warden risks, I believe the organisers are in close discussion with the council, so hopefully they will only proceed if legal and safe.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:31 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:51 am
Matthew Turner wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:45 am
I am sure that we are all very grateful that you have been able to read through this document https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -framework
In that document it says
Each individual sport will submit to the government (Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport) an action plan and any related guidance, demonstrating its mitigations, how it plans to operate, and any adaptations required.
Has the ECF done this? Even if it did, would DCMS take any notice, given that chess is not legally classified as a sport?
I think the ECF answered that yesterday
Chess is not recognised as a sport by Sport England, and so in the ECF’s view falls within the definition of ‘social gatherings’ rather than within HM Government’s ‘Return to recreational team sport framework’ document
As before, the ECF cannot offer specific advice, and organisers need to make their own decisions in the light of the information
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:01 pm

Let's cut to the chase here - this new legislation is a total shambles and basically unenforceable.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:30 pm

As far as I can see there is nothing in law preventing, say, an eight-board chess league match being held in licensed premises providing players do not flit between tables

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:56 am
Well, Northumberland Chess Congress must have submitted their procedures to the local authority in order to rent their venue. Obviously they took notice because the event has been allowed to proceed.
I can confirm that this process has been in place and continues to be ongoing. The ECF advice does not seem to consider buildings which have undergone scrutiny and been certified as Covid secure (or whatever the phrase is).

The local authority believes the event to be legal and has approved of the precautions being put in place. Obviously things may change in the next week or so, but currently the organiser intends that the event will go ahead WITH THE SUPPORT of the local authority.

It is unfortunate that the ECF, which has declined to make a statement previously, does so at this point. Also not helpful is that they publish it earlier than they stated to the local organiser.

I've already had to tell one local official that joining Chess Scotland is not an option.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:41 am
Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Czech Airlines have just cancelled my flights for Pardubice for covid-19 reasons. (Chess) Life Not Returning To Normal.
I'm flying with my friend at 2.30 on Sunday from Luton Airport with Easy Jet, Tim.

Someone (apologies but I forget who) said elsewhere that Brits aren't allowed into Hungary. I intend playing in October's 1st Saturday event, and I have a letter of invitation from the organiser and federation. There are one or two other technicalities but hopefully all will be well.

For what it's worth I had Covid in April but am now fully recovered except that my sense of smell never returned.
Ha! This confirms my belief there's always a way round these things if one has enough knowledge and/or knows the right people.
Presumably you'll be going straight from Pardubice to Budapest without returning home? I am thinking of doing something similar with Hradec Kralove and Brno in November, but haven't made any plans yet.
There's a direct train from Pardubice to Budapest, via Slovakia, Tim. It takes about 5 hours but might be quite scenic.
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:42 am
Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 am
I'm flying with my friend at 2.30 on Sunday from Luton Airport with Easy Jet, Tim.
I'm on that one too.
Perhaps see you in the Aspire Lounge, Nick? :P

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:30 pm
As far as I can see there is nothing in law preventing, say, an eight-board chess league match being held in licensed premises providing players do not flit between tables
On a more humorous note, you could argue that since you are only breaking the law in a "very specific and limited way" then it is in fact legal! :lol:

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:32 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:56 am
Well, Northumberland Chess Congress must have submitted their procedures to the local authority in order to rent their venue. Obviously they took notice because the event has been allowed to proceed.
I can confirm that this process has been in place and continues to be ongoing. The ECF advice does not seem to consider buildings which have undergone scrutiny and been certified as Covid secure (or whatever the phrase is).

The local authority believes the event to be legal and has approved of the precautions being put in place. Obviously things may change in the next week or so, but currently the organiser intends that the event will go ahead WITH THE SUPPORT of the local authority.

It is unfortunate that the ECF, which has declined to make a statement previously, does so at this point. Also not helpful is that they publish it earlier than they stated to the local organiser.

I've already had to tell one local official that joining Chess Scotland is not an option.
Addendum: I've had a phone call to tell me that the ECF did publish an early document. I'm happy to accept that.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Everything we were told about the new legislation last week has to be taken with a pinch of salt because it didn't actually appear until today: presumably the Government's lawyers were putting the finishing touches to it over the weekend. For our purposes the crucial point seems to be that the 6-person maximum does not apply to gatherings in premises (other than private dwellings) which are operated by --
a) a business,
b) a charitable, benevolent or philanthropic institution, or
c) a public body.
That would seem to cover most of the premises commonly used for chess leagues and tournaments.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:38 pm
Addendum: I've had a phone call to tell me that the ECF did publish an early document. I'm happy to accept that.
1st ECF Statement on 3rd July: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/chess-c ... -covid-19/

2nd ECF Statement on 8th August: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/chess-c ... gust-2020/

Most Recent ECF Statement on 13th September (link republished for convenience): https://www.englishchess.org.uk/new-hm- ... uidelines/

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:11 pm

Jacques Parry wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:59 pm
Everything we were told about the new legislation last week has to be taken with a pinch of salt because it didn't actually appear until today: presumably the Government's lawyers were putting the finishing touches to it over the weekend. For our purposes the crucial point seems to be that the 6-person maximum does not apply to gatherings in premises (other than private dwellings) which are operated by --
a) a business,
c) a public body.
That would seem to cover most of the premises commonly used for chess leagues and tournaments.
As a player it seems that I have a good selection of tournaments to play in, abroad. Why is that?

As an organiser it appears that I cannot invite even six people to come round to my house and play a few games of chess.

However I can hire a hall at (seemingly) no discount and run a chess tournament with X players at an inevitable loss.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:17 pm

"For our purposes the crucial point seems to be that the 6-person maximum does not apply to gatherings in premises (other than private dwellings) which are operated by --
a) a business,
c) a public body.
That would seem to cover most of the premises commonly used for chess leagues and tournaments."

You start wondering when 6-person maximum does apply!