N.Littlewood - B.Wade, Southend 1964

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: N.Littlewood - B.Wade, Southend 1964

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:03 am

...Norman played 7.g3 deliberately saccing the d-pawn hoping to get developing tempo on the
Black Queen. It was in Norman's style, you do not get the nickname of 'The Little Tal' playing stodge.

It could have been either an inspired idea OTB or opening prep. Bob played this as Black in 1961.
Sure, but hoping it would work against as strong a player as Wade seems recklessly optimistic nonetheless.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm
Sure, but hoping it would work against as strong a player as Wade seems recklessly optimistic nonetheless.
That was Norman Littlewood's style of play though. John Littlewood's too, up to a point.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:11 pm

Thanks Paul,

I can only see a sample Bob's writing. Probably never know for sure.
Thought about Chess History section, (see first post) Carl's choice.

Hi Matt,

Sometimes they work, sometimes not. It does not matter who or where you are playing.When you get the call of the
wild and have been involved in games like the one below where today a computer eval could possibly go into double
figures against you and you win, you feel invincible. The feeling is addictive, you shrug off the losses till your next fix.

Some abhor such games, the truth seekers, not realising the truth being the final result.
I love them, it is what human v human chess is all about. Last blunder loses.

S.Fazekas vs N.Littlewood, British Championship, Bath 1963.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:14 pm

I used the Littlewood - Wade game and worked out why the moves 33....a6 and 35...a5 were played.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/t ... harlie.464

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:07 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:31 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm
That was Norman Littlewood's style of play though. John Littlewood's too, up to a point.
The difference between them may have been JL would have preferred 7 Qf2 in that position.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Wade told me that several of his early games were with an Aunt in NZ. But that was a long time ago wasn't it? :shock:

James

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:25 pm
Surprisingly, given the strength of the line-up, that's the first game score from the 1964 Southend Premier that I've seen.
Hello John. If you want to punt some time tracking a few game scores down you could try looking in the relevant range of Shakmatny Bulletin. I used to take that mag between about 1963 and 1970. One year I recall seeing some games from a Southend event but don't recall which year, players or anything else much. You would need to know the Russian phonetic alphabet as players and event names used this. Also the symbol for a king was Kp. My copies went in the bin about 4 years ago. If you're lucky you may know someone with a neatly filed range who can help you or there maybe some reading this who can.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:09 pm

E Michael White wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 pm
You would need to know the Russian phonetic alphabet as players and event names used this.
For a while I subscribed ( for next to nothing ) to "64". I remember that it once featured a game played by Michael Yeo, whose surname was represented in some way I did not expect.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:49 pm

E Michael White wrote:
John Saunders wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:25 pm
Surprisingly, given the strength of the line-up, that's the first game score from the 1964 Southend Premier that I've seen.
Hello John. If you want to punt some time tracking a few game scores down you could try looking in the relevant range of Shakmatny Bulletin. I used to take that mag between about 1963 and 1970. One year I recall seeing some games from a Southend event but don't recall which year, players or anything else much. You would need to know the Russian phonetic alphabet as players and event names used this. Also the symbol for a king was Kp. My copies went in the bin about 4 years ago. If you're lucky you may know someone with a neatly filed range who can help you or there maybe some reading this who can.
I have occasionally dipped into Russian sources. I have a copy of Hanon Russell's Russian for Chess Players, which gives me enough of the language to navigate my way through simple game annotations. But why would I go to Russian sources to find games played in Southend? You would have thought someone in the UK must have the games in the first place. Or are you suggesting that game scores are smuggled out of the country like state secrets? Well, OK, maybe they are. Within the last couple of days one of my regular BritBase contributors sent me the score of a game from the 1938 British Championship which he found in a Washington, USA, newspaper. And I've found a fair few British games in Australasian sources. But that is perhaps because some other countries have progressed a little further in digitising their newspapers.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:56 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:09 pm
E Michael White wrote:
You would need to know the Russian phonetic alphabet as players and event names used this.
For a while I subscribed ( for next to nothing ) to "64". I remember that it once featured a game played by Michael Yeo, whose surname was represented in some way I did not expect.
I think the pronunciation of Mike's surname can be represented by a single letter in Russian. I saw what I think was "Sandal (England)" in a Russian article listing various chess journalists a few years back and suddenly realised it was referring to me. Name and country both wrong...
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 am

"But why would I go to Russian sources to find games played in Southend"

I did subscribe to 64 many years ago as I saw game scores from Hastings (e.g) more quickly in 64 than in the British press.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 am
"But why would I go to Russian sources to find games played in Southend"

I did subscribe to 64 many years ago as I saw game scores from Hastings (e.g) more quickly in 64 than in the British press.
Yes, on reflection there may be some merit in searching through Russian mags for British games. They were large-format and would often have more space to fill than UK mags and (correct me if I'm wrong) were published more frequently so an editor would need to fill the space with more games than might be used to accompany a report in CHESS or BCM. Even so, it still leaves me wondering how Russian chess magazine editors might come by such games if they were not published somewhere in the UK in the first place. Was there a mole in the British chess establishment exporting our game scores to the Soviets?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:41 am

John Saunders wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am
Even so, it still leaves me wondering how Russian chess magazine editors might come by such games if they were not published somewhere in the UK in the first place. Was there a mole in the British chess establishment exporting our game scores to the Soviets?
It was not uncommon for paper bulletins to be produced of the games in major tournaments. I suppose it's possible the Soviet Union took chess seriously enough that local embassies would collect such material. Alternatively, as you suggest, look for sympathisers amongst the ranks of regular bulletin producers or collectors.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi John,

Going to the club tonight, I'll look at some old CHESS 1964/65 to see if games were published.

Maybe Douglas Griffin is the lad to ask if he has any old Russian mages or if he can indeed confirm
that '64' or other Russian mags used games from British tournaments.

Maybe, some spy was sending the Russians info hidden within the moves.

That Bookshop in Berwick-Upon-Tweed where I bought the book was perhaps a spy ring pick up/drop off point but the book I bought was missed.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:44 pm

"They were large-format and would often have more space to fill than UK mags and (correct me if I'm wrong) were published more frequently so an editor would need to fill the space with more games than might be used to accompany a report in CHESS or BCM."

64 was published each Wednesday(?) and usually hit the mat on Saturday. I have an idea "Shakmatny" was monthly.