(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alan Walton

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:34 pm

Well Oldham is a hotspot with 118 per 100,000; but the area I live in has only 20 per 100,000; but we get tarred with the same brush

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:27 am

David Robertson wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:06 pm
I intend to refer this entire thread to the Mental Health authorities. It's become increasingly ludicrous. Get a grip!
Once you start hearing David Robertson's posts in Dave Gorman's dramatic voice, accompanied by a string quartet playing Handel's Sarabande, you can't stop :lol:

I INTEND TO REFER
THIS ENTIRE THREAD

TO THE
MENTAL
HEALTH
AUTHORITIES

DO YOU MEAN THE HEALTH
AUTHORITIES THAT ARE MENTAL

OR THE AUTHORITIES
OF MENTAL HEALTH?

BOTH
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:19 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:18 pm
Could not junior-chess sessions come under the allowable category of education?
Richmond Juniors is currently providing some chess lessons live, but only under circumstances in which it is very clear that they are being run by a school as a normal part of their activities. I don't, however, expect that to last long. Several schools dropped out before we even got started, despite extensive work having been undertaken in assessing the risks and preparing strategies to minimise or avoid the risks. We were indeed complemented on our preparatory work by several. During the week, I was told by schools in which we are still working that staff and students are self-isolating, the schools are short staffed and that no one can get tested in realistic time-frames. Long story short, I don't have a realistic expectation that the live chess lessons are going to last the term.

As for running general tournaments or the like, no chance. People can rant at event organisers if they like, but those doing the ranting generally don't have skin in the game.

As it is, I now have to tell parents that expected Richmond Juniors to open live this Saturday that circumstances have changed, and we will be opening only for online lessons, starting the following Saturday.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 am

John Sellen wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:34 pm
Maybe the players will have to keep an eye on their Bishops if there are lots of nuns about !!
Very Good :lol: :lol:

There was a guy who played in our Blackpool and Fylde League recently called Frank Bishop. He moved up from Kent many years ago.
The only chess playing nun I can think of is John Nunn.
Unless there are any others people can think of?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:26 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:34 pm
Well Oldham is a hotspot with 118 per 100,000; but the area I live in has only 20 per 100,000; but we get tarred with the same brush
Indeed, same here Alan, but it only takes one
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi Simon

"There was a guy who played in our Blackpool and Fylde League recently called Frank Bishop. He moved up from Kent many years ago.
Unless there are any others people can think of? "

I had a quick look at the ECF grading list
There are 3 Nunns ( one of whom is John Nunns wife Petra )
There are also 6 Bishops and 12 Knights
I wonder if there has ever been a Bishop v/s a Knight chess game !!

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:26 am
Alan Walton wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:34 pm
Indeed, same here Alan, but it only takes one
It's odd that the infection rates are so much higher across the North of England as compared to the South. There are one or two London boroughs with rates in the 30s per 100,000 but nearly all of the south has rates below that and, in some cases, substantially so. Where I live, the rate is currently 4.2 per 100,000.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:00 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:12 pm
Hi Simon

"There was a guy who played in our Blackpool and Fylde League recently called Frank Bishop. He moved up from Kent many years ago.
Unless there are any others people can think of? "

I had a quick look at the ECF grading list
There are 3 Nunns ( one of whom is John Nunns wife Petra )
There are also 6 Bishops and 12 Knights
I wonder if there has ever been a Bishop v/s a Knight chess game !!
According to the ECF grading list there are 19 Kings ( including 1 from Bolton and 1 from Kenilworth)
There are also 3 Priests. :lol:

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:04 pm

But only a lone Rook

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:15 pm

John Moore wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:51 pm
It's odd that the infection rates are so much higher across the North of England as compared to the South. Where I live, the rate is currently 4.2 per 100,000
It won't be odd for long. Enjoy the respite while it lasts - two weeks, I'd guess. There'll be no "returning to normal", chesswise or otherwise, for at least another year

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:23 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:15 pm
John Moore wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:51 pm
It's odd that the infection rates are so much higher across the North of England as compared to the South. Where I live, the rate is currently 4.2 per 100,000
It won't be odd for long. Enjoy the respite while it lasts - two weeks, I'd guess. There'll be no "returning to normal", chesswise or otherwise, for at least another year
It will be a 'new normal' I would think. A vaccine that will provide immunity for 2 or 3 months. A growing group of people still suffering 'long Covid' symptoms. I think people will be naturally a bit more cautious of their surroundings, and the number of chess events may dwindle a bit.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Jacques Parry wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:59 pm
Here is the bit about "restrictions on participation in gatherings" as it now stands: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... gulation/5

Paragraph (1) of regulation 5 now says that a person must not participate in a gathering of more than six people. But it creates several exceptions to that rule.

One such exception (see regulation 5(1)(b)) is that --
Another relevant exception is regulation 5(3)(b)
(b)the person concerned is an elite sportsperson, the coach of an elite sportsperson, or (in the case of an elite sportsperson who is a child), the parent of an elite sportsperson, and the gathering is necessary for training or competition
This would potentially enable elite chess training events and competitions to take place in groups larger than six provided that the players are regarded as sportspersons. Chess is not legally a sport in the UK so the main relief of this provision is unavailable at least if played in the UK. There may be an argument that if there is an international event in which players from other countries are designated as sportspersons (chess is categorised as a sport in most countries) then it would be churlish not to accord the British players an equal status. On this interpretation, a hybrid team event (such as the current ECU online youth and team championships) would allow groups greater than six.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:06 pm

John Foley wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:47 pm
Jacques Parry wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:59 pm
Here is the bit about "restrictions on participation in gatherings" as it now stands: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... gulation/5

Paragraph (1) of regulation 5 now says that a person must not participate in a gathering of more than six people. But it creates several exceptions to that rule.

One such exception (see regulation 5(1)(b)) is that --
Another relevant exception is regulation 5(3)(b)
(b)the person concerned is an elite sportsperson, the coach of an elite sportsperson, or (in the case of an elite sportsperson who is a child), the parent of an elite sportsperson, and the gathering is necessary for training or competition
This would potentially enable elite chess training events and competitions to take place in groups larger than six provided that the players are regarded as sportspersons. Chess is not legally a sport in the UK so the main relief of this provision is unavailable at least if played in the UK. There may be an argument that if there is an international event in which players from other countries are designated as sportspersons (chess is categorised as a sport in most countries) then it would be churlish not to accord the British players an equal status. On this interpretation, a hybrid team event (such as the current ECU online youth and team championships) would allow groups greater than six.
The hybrid idea isn’t a total slam dunk as the England Junior team for the European Youth Online Champonship lost their first venue at the 4NCL traditional hotel, the Mercury Daventry Court Hotel at less than two weeks notice after they read the new ECF guidelines. They then had to scramble for another venue.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:23 pm
I think people will be naturally a bit more cautious of their surroundings, and the number of chess events may dwindle a bit.
What we don't really know is whether someone deciding on regulations thinks that Chess Clubs and Bridge Clubs are potentially disease spreaders if allowed to be active with any viable number of people, or whether they just don't think about the consequences and inconsistencies in their regulations.

But what do we think are the causes of the recent spikes in cases and hospital admissions that have spooked the government? Potentially there's the re-opening of pubs, the encouraging of mixing by promotion of restaurants, the introduction of masks in shops and supermarkets, foreign holidays and the opening of schools. It isn't Chess Congresses, large crowds at sporting events, large numbers at concerts etc, because there haven't been any. So some of the potential causes of transmissions back in March are no longer present.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:20 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:23 pm
I think people will be naturally a bit more cautious of their surroundings, and the number of chess events may dwindle a bit.
What we don't really know is whether someone deciding on regulations thinks that Chess Clubs and Bridge Clubs are potentially disease spreaders if allowed to be active with any viable number of people, or whether they just don't think about the consequences and inconsistencies in their regulations.

But what do we think are the causes of the recent spikes in cases and hospital admissions that have spooked the government? Potentially there's the re-opening of pubs, the encouraging of mixing by promotion of restaurants, the introduction of masks in shops and supermarkets, foreign holidays and the opening of schools. It isn't Chess Congresses, large crowds at sporting events, large numbers at concerts etc, because there haven't been any. So some of the potential causes of transmissions back in March are no longer present.
The Blackpool Congress rode their luck back in March. I think if someone had been ill there, then we’d all have a bit of a different take on this now.