(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jacques Parry

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Jacques Parry » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Regulation 5(3)(j) also provides an exception for participation in sports gatherings by non-elite sportspersons. But it's very unlikely that a chess event would be regarded as a sports gathering, even if some of the participants come from countries where chess is regarded as a sport. The question is whether the playing of chess is the kind of activity that the word "sport" was intended to cover, and for that purpose it's irrelevant where the players come from.

The view that chess does not count is supported by regulation 5(5D)(a), which defines a "sports gathering" as "a gathering which is organised for the purposes for allowing persons who are not elite sportspersons to take part in any sport or other fitness related activity" [my italics]. This strongly implies that, in this context, only fitness-related activities count as sports. This definition is not directly relevant to the exception for elite sportspersons, but it can hardly have been intended that chess should count for the purpose of one exception and not the other.

TLDR: This idea won't work.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:34 pm

"I wonder if there has ever been a Bishop v/s a Knight chess game"

I'm pretty sure that Geoff Bishop mentioned he had played someone called Knight. A friend of mine called Finch has been paired with Green, Bird, Buzzard and Parrott etc.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Jacques Parry wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:28 pm
This strongly implies that, in this context, only fitness-related activities count as sports.
That would correlate with the Sport England definition, which regards rambling as a sport and eligible for funding despite the lack of competition.

I believe ramblers have found an elegant work around. Take a group of 36, divide them into 6 groups of 5, each with a leader. Keep each group a little apart, which is obviously easier when walking than when all indoors.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Don't the ramblers feel they can rely on the exception for sports gatherings? If they think the Sport England definition isn't conclusive, I'm sure they're right; but isn't rambling a fitness-related activity?

Andy McCulloch

Post by Andy McCulloch » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:20 pm

When I played I Rook a couple of years ago, I mentioned that I had previously encountered a bishop, a knight, and a MacQueen. His response was that he would be happy to play either knight or bishop, as he would be starting 'up the exchange'.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:20 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:23 pm
I think people will be naturally a bit more cautious of their surroundings, and the number of chess events may dwindle a bit.
What we don't really know is whether someone deciding on regulations thinks that Chess Clubs and Bridge Clubs are potentially disease spreaders if allowed to be active with any viable number of people, or whether they just don't think about the consequences and inconsistencies in their regulations.

But what do we think are the causes of the recent spikes in cases and hospital admissions that have spooked the government? Potentially there's the re-opening of pubs, the encouraging of mixing by promotion of restaurants, the introduction of masks in shops and supermarkets, foreign holidays and the opening of schools. It isn't Chess Congresses, large crowds at sporting events, large numbers at concerts etc, because there haven't been any. So some of the potential causes of transmissions back in March are no longer present.
The Blackpool Congress rode their luck back in March. I think if someone had been ill there, then we’d all have a bit of a different take on this now.
Coulda woulda shoulda, I suppose. And when such an event is next held, I expect it will be under rather more stringent conditions.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:45 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:04 pm
But only a lone Rook
I found only one Queen on the grading list.
Sadly no Vicars or Pawns.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:05 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:45 pm
John Sellen wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:04 pm
But only a lone Rook
I found only one Queen on the grading list.
Sadly no Vicars or Pawns.
There is one Mate which is not difficult to find.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Only 1 Angel and only 1 Saint. (Neither in Cornwall)
Although some people say " There are more Saints in Cornwall, then Saints in Heaven."

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:51 pm

Simon - why don't you see who has the longest name in the Grading List. That should keep you busy for a while.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Chess returning to normal? This is normal.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:40 pm
Jacques Parry wrote:
This strongly implies that, in this context, only fitness-related activities count as sports.
That would correlate with the Sport England definition, which regards rambling as a sport and eligible for funding despite the lack of competition.

I believe ramblers have found an elegant work around. Take a group of 36, divide them into 6 groups of 5, each with a leader. Keep each group a little apart, which is obviously easier when walking than when all indoors.
No, Ramblers is saying walking groups of 30 are fine - no need for special measures. I am returning from such a walk now, although it only had 18 people.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:46 pm

It is the LDWA not the Ramblers that is recognised by Sport England. The LDWA as the name suggests organises long distance walks. They agree with the Ramblers that walks involving up to 30 are still permitted if the relevant risk assessment has been completed, but a walk organised unofficially by members would be capped at six.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:06 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jacques Parry wrote:

No, Ramblers is saying walking groups of 30 are fine - no need for special measures. I am returning from such a walk now, although it only had 18 people.
It looks like Tim has gone Animal House. Were there any togas involved?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:06 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:

It looks like Tim has gone Animal House. Were there any togas involved?
Pub lunch for 10 of the 18, but no togas