(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:43 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:28 pm

What does that mean for chess? If clubs are meeting in public venues (and complying with the rule of six and any other regulations) then that is an obvious workaround. The question then is what happens if the club meets in a private venue. I initially thought my club could continue along those lines but came around to the view of the wider committee that this was impractical.
Community venues can be allowed more than six people in a room. The problem being how to demonstrate that they aren't "mingling". Still if you start at half past seven, the bar closes at ten and you have to wear masks all the time, that isn't an attractive night out regardless of whether you are expected to be frozen by opening all the doors and windows or be paranoid about touching pieces that your opponent may have also touched.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:59 am

David Blower wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:49 pm
Are there many clubs meeting over the board at the moment.
Barrow Chess Club
Surbiton Chess Club
Isle of Man Chess Club
I'm sure there are others.
But none in Wales or Scotland.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:47 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:59 am
David Blower wrote:
Surbiton Chess Club
I'm surprised to see that one.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:28 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:43 am
Community venues can be allowed more than six people in a room. The problem being how to demonstrate that they aren't "mingling".
Community venues do still appear to be exempt, though it's not clear whether that was the Government's intention, since the explanatory memorandum which accompanied the amendments introducing this rule doesn't mention it! The relevant Parliamentary committee has invited DHSC to explain the discrepancy, but I haven't seen their explanation yet.

Actually the issue is not whether people are mingling: the concept of "mingling" is relevant only where a person participating in the gathering does not do so "alone" but as a member of a group (though I still don't understand how you can simultaneously be alone and yet participating in a gathering). The question is whether the people in one group of six are "undertaking an activity with" the members of another group in the same room. I think it's arguable that they are not, and therefore that they are not participating in a "gathering" of more than six; but I wouldn't bank on it.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:36 am

"Actually the issue is not whether people are mingling: the concept of "mingling" is relevant only where a person participating in the gathering does not do so "alone" but as a member of a group (though I still don't understand how you can simultaneously be alone and yet participating in a gathering)..."

Perhaps one is 'alone' in the above context if one joins the gathering as a lone individual but not 'alone' if one goes to the gathering together with another person, or other persons.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:18 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:47 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:59 am
David Blower wrote:
Surbiton Chess Club
I'm surprised to see that one.
It was posted back in the beginning of July on the forum on a different thread.
However I can't find the post, I've tried typing a keyword but still can't find it. Unless the original post has since been edited.
I've checked the Surbiton Chess Club website. It looks like the Chess Club is closed now.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:22 am

John McKenna wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:36 am
"Actually the issue is not whether people are mingling: the concept of "mingling" is relevant only where a person participating in the gathering does not do so "alone" but as a member of a group (though I still don't understand how you can simultaneously be alone and yet participating in a gathering)..."

Perhaps one is 'alone' in the above context if one joins the gathering as a lone individual but not 'alone' if one goes to the gathering together with another person, or other persons.
Yes, I agree that that's probably the idea. But it's a surprisingly vague idea, for legislation that creates criminal offences. Do you participate alone if you bump into a friend outside and you go in together? Or if you share a car?
Last edited by Jacques Parry on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:28 am

Jacques Parry wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:22 am
Do you participate alone if you bump into a friend outside and you go in together?
The practical question is whether an internal club or even county tournament of more than six people could be run in premises used for community purposes. The participants would most likely know one another.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:28 am
The practical question is whether an internal club or even county tournament of more than six people could be run in premises used for community purposes. The participants would most likely know one another.
At present the answer is probably yes. But it's impossible to be sure, because the legislation is so badly drafted; and anyway this may be an unintentional loophole, in which case it may soon be corrected.

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:36 am

David Blower wrote:
Coulsdon Chess club which all games are FIDE rated monday evenings

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:44 am

Coulsdon is playing on site?
It's not the biggest of premises. But if there is a way, might be worth joining the club for the OTB experience. But a one hour drive each way during school week doesn't sound like a great idea...

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:48 am

Paul Bloom wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:36 am
David Blower wrote:
Coulsdon Christian Fellowship is of course a community venue. It is also a church, so it may be covered by the separate rules pertaining to places of worship.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:51 am

Ashton Community Chess Club is up and running.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:54 am

Paul Bloom wrote:
David Blower wrote:
Welcome to the Chess Forum, Paul.
I enjoyed reading your first post. Some good ideas and very thorough.
Is Coulsdon the biggest Chess Club in the country?

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:54 am
Paul Bloom wrote:
David Blower wrote:
Welcome to the Chess Forum, Paul.
I enjoyed reading your first post. Some good ideas and very thorough.
Is Coulsdon the biggest Chess Club in the country?
HI Simon thank you very much I am surprised that you are the 1st to comment on our way of getting back over the board which has been well thought out using an adaption of the Blind player system .
yes we certainly were the biggest club with over 100 active members and 4 arbiters 2 FIDE and 2 national however our system is working really well this is our 4th week back this monday and nobody ever comes within 2 meters of any one else but currently only 36 members have signed back up with kind of suits us as we can have 9 matches with players playing every other week . no daytime club currently on wednesdays as these were mainly older members that are still shielding. we could not do our International Jessie gilbert festival of chess this year in August {usually just after the british} but at least we are back playing fide rated chess OTB