Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:41 am

John Clarke wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:06 am
Can't see 'em at all. That stupid Privacy Manager keeps plastering itself all over everything, and there seems no way to get rid of it apart from giving it all the keys to the kingdom. No way.
I use a Firefox setting which supposedly removes all nasties which I may have allowed as soon as I leave a website. I hope it really does that, would be interested to hear if anyone with better knowledge thinks it might not.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:50 am

Paul Habershon wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:35 am
Interesting to see these pictures Can anyone name the simul giver and date it?
Probably easier to date it first and then identify who it was from contemporary material.

Perhaps my browser (Firefox) is configured to be better behaved than others, but every picture is accompanied by a caption. In the case of the simul picture (11) , it dates it as October 1959 and places it at King Edward School.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:50 am
Perhaps my browser (Firefox) is configured to be better behaved than others, but every picture is accompanied by a caption. In the case of the simul picture (11) , it dates it as October 1959 and places it at King Edward School.
It's a badly designed website. I couldn't see any captions either. I've now discovered that by changing my browser zoom factor from 120% to 100% they have appeared. There was no scroll bar, or anything else, indicating I wasn't seeing the full screen when at 120%.

Now I can see the captions, I'm curious about picture 56 whose caption is "The Three Tuns Pub, Romsey, Romsey's new Chess club meet for the first time, Chess club members with Landlady Hannah Wilkinson". No date, and as far as I know there is currently no chess club in Romsey. If there was, it would be my local club. As it is, the nearest one is about 10 miles away.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:50 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:35 am
Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 pm
65 photographs of Hampshire chess. There are some well known faces amongst them, but most are unknown to me.

Some photographs are from the 1996 Hampshire Championship congress and some of the pictures of children are probably of King Edward VI School, Southampton players from the same period.
Interesting to see these pictures Can anyone name the simul giver and date it?

Can't remember many photos being taken when I played in Hampshire (1965-69 teacher training, Winchester). H L Parsons was county captain and would send out invitations by postcard (50-board SCCU matches) at the beginning of the season asking about availability for every match. I had never played county chess, started on Board 47, lost my first three games and felt certain I would be dropped.

Among the younger luminaries in the Hampshire team of that period: S Saverymuttu, GH Bennett, RWL Moberley. It was all initials in those days.
I must have immediately followed you into the Hampshire team Paul as I was at Portsmouth Poly from 1969-1972 and can well remember the postcards from Mr.Parsons for the 50 board matches. I could add several names to those you mention; however my memory of one county match against Berkshire at Bracknell also remains. One of the Hampshire players (W.J.E.Yeeles I think) fell off the stage where the top boards were playing and injured his ankle. Iain Stenhouse had to take him to hospital and as a result Hampshire had to concede both games; but still won the match.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:41 pm

Paul Buswell wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:30 am
Moderators, please remove the post above: it is inappropriate for this forum.

PB
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:20 pm
Apologies Paul if you found it offensive. I thought two GMs expressing their views was relevant to the title of this thread.
I would not be offended were it to be removed.

I hope that the post will be allowed to stand. It reports comments by a top chess player about the situation affecting his country.

Similar objections could be made about the post at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10985. That is still in place after six weeks, rightly in my view.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:45 pm

The post about the Azerbaijan-Armenia territorial dispute has now been moved to the Not Chess! section, as has the post about Belarus.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm

Ok I hope posts by chess players about the situations affecting their countries are not deleted.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:21 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:41 pm

I hope that the post will be allowed to stand. It reports comments by a top chess player about the situation affecting his country.
It is however, nothing to do with media coverage of chess, chessplayers or issues in chess.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:27 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:21 pm
issues in chess.
Armenian teams are reluctant to play in Baku, but that doesn't extend to boycotts if paired elsewhere in the world. We may also recall that in the dying days of the Soviet Union or shortly afterwards, Kasparov, who I believe is of Armenian descent, felt obliged to charter a plane to evacuate friends and family from Baku.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:32 pm

Your point eludes me Roger
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:24 am

Keira Knightley advertising perfume with a chess theme.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:38 am

Quino died last week. Who was Quino, and what has this to do with chess and media? Well, Quino was to the Spanish-speaking world something like what Charles M Schulz was to the English-speaking one, being as he was the creator and writer of Mafalda. And if you Google Mafalda chess or Mafalda ajedrez, you'll find that in the roughly ten years that he wrote the strip, he put quite a bit of chess in it.

"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi Justin,

I do not read Spanish but we can give a good guess out what she is saying. (make it a caption competition)
I might google some more and see if I can imagine what is being said, I might uncork my own joke.
(Here I'm thinking of a 'Spanish Opening ' punchline.)

You mentioned Charles M. Schulz, he slipped chess into a few of his cartoons. I wonder if he got any complaints from the Checkers Community.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:19 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:21 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:41 pm

It is however, nothing to do with media coverage of chess, chessplayers or issues in chess.
I am quite content with Jack's decision to move the post to the "Not Chess" section.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:37 pm

'I am quite content with Jack's decision to move the post to the "Not Chess" section.'

Maybe do a swap. Bring the post about Jonathan and Oliver Penrose's brother Roger recently winning
the Nobel Prize here. Jonathan and Oliver are well known chess players and it was reported in the media.