(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:53 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 pm
They are breaking the law. "No mixing of households indoors and outdoors" - unless they all live in the same household.
The rules for "community premises" as I imagine the CCF building would be defined are subtly different as you could have more than six people as long as they are in separate groups. I'm not sure how you make that work for an evening of chess players as I doubt the CCF members are unknown to one another. The "separate groups" concept was how the Northumberland Congress was going to operate.

Anyone going to such an evening is going to be in a room with a number of other people for a period of several hours. It would appear more risky than staying at home regardless of its legality.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:53 pm
It would appear more risky than staying at home regardless of its legality.
Irrespective of the virus du jour, going out is in general more risky than staying at home.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 am

Tier 2 is no households not 6.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:31 am

I am not allowed to play chess at home against a human from 0001 on Saturday. KEEP to the rules roger.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 am

Living in Lancashire near Blackpool, we are on the brink of going onto Tier 3.
3 of Lancashire areas are in the top 10 in the country for infection rates.
Greater Manchester is also on the brink.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
It would appear more risky than staying at home regardless of its legality.
Irrespective of the virus du jour, going out is in general more risky than staying at home.
Most accidents happen in the home - you might well be safer leaving the house to play chess

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:39 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 pm
They are breaking the law. "No mixing of households indoors and outdoors" - unless they all live in the same household.
The rules for "community premises" as I imagine the CCF building would be defined are subtly different as you could have more than six people as long as they are in separate groups. I'm not sure how you make that work for an evening of chess players as I doubt the CCF members are unknown to one another. The "separate groups" concept was how the Northumberland Congress was going to operate.

Anyone going to such an evening is going to be in a room with a number of other people for a period of several hours. It would appear more risky than staying at home regardless of its legality.
Expect an ECF website announcement later today clarifying the somewhat different position as regards supervised junior chess activities.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 am

John Reyes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:37 pm
Paul Bloom wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:03 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:40 pm
Regrettably, the local area being placed in "Tier 2" virus measures has meant Barrow Chess Club will close again for the time being.
Sorry to hear that Matt guess we are Lucky in coulsdon still low infection rates . Just hoping they dont do the circuit breaker lockdown at half term as we are planning junior camp training sessions and it gets tricky when you get too many on zoom at once .
what is the rule on chess clubs meeting?

there 2 clubs in our area which are meeting and wonder what the drill is if they are meeting under Tier 3?
The only place currently under Tier 3 is Liverpool city region, although I'd agree with Matt that Tier 2, which covers half the country, precludes clubs meeting, but clearly that's not unanimous

We did have effectively Tier 3 rules here in Bolton (pubs and restaurants takeaway only) for a few weeks, and they didn't reduce the spread of the virus

My daughter was notified not to come into school today about 10 minutes before she was due to leave for the bus :roll:

If there's going to be a national circuit breaker for a couple of weeks it would be much better if this came in to encompass half-term, rather than the kids having a week off for half-term, actually 2 weeks in some Bolton schools, go back in and then have 2 weeks off next month
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 am
We did have effectively Tier 3 rules here in Bolton (pubs and restaurants takeaway only) for a few weeks, and they didn't reduce the spread of the virus
Which, as any scientist will tell you, proves that no other policy should be considered.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 am
Living in Lancashire near Blackpool, we are on the brink of going onto Tier 3.
3 of Lancashire areas are in the top 10 in the country for infection rates.
Greater Manchester is also on the brink.
Lancs have got £42m for going into Tier 3 tomorrow

G Man still negotiating

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:39 am
Expect an ECF website announcement later today clarifying the somewhat different position as regards supervised junior chess activities.
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/covid-19-update/

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:03 pm

I think those are guidelines for Tier 1. In Tier 3, I believe wedding receptions are out and children’s activities such as soft play areas are closed among other things.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:40 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 am
Which, as any scientist will tell you, proves that no other policy should be considered.
That's not what the scientists are saying, though, they are saying that Tier 3 won't be enough on it's own

Although I do appreciate that Tier 3 itself is fluid e.g. gyms closed in Liverpool but not Lancashire

My daughter is now self-isolating until the first day of half-term, when she can go out, although obviously not to school :roll:

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:03 pm
I think those are guidelines for Tier 1. In Tier 3, I believe wedding receptions are out and children’s activities such as soft play areas are closed among other things.
Not so, Matt. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-covid ... -very-high. Of course, these are baseline restrictions and there may be additional restrictions imposed in particular Tier 3 areas. Having said that, it would be sensible to undertake a more stringent risk assessment [and act accordingly] in Tier 3 areas than in the lower tiers.

TimWall

Post by TimWall » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:52 pm

The first round of the North East Online League was held successfully on Tuesday 13 October.

Results for all matches are available via the ECF's League Management System: https://ecflms.org.uk/lms/node/62801/ofixtures
Last edited by TimWall on Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.