(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:40 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 am
We did have effectively Tier 3 rules here in Bolton (pubs and restaurants takeaway only) for a few weeks, and they didn't reduce the spread of the virus
Which, as any scientist will tell you, proves that no other policy should be considered.
That's not what the scientists are saying, though, they are saying that Tier 3 won't be enough on it's own

Although I do appreciate that Tier 3 itself is fluid e.g. gyms closed in Liverpool but not Lancashire

My daughter is now self-isolating until the first day of half-term, when she can go out, although obviously not to school :roll:
To be fair Patrick Valance just said in the prime minister press conference, that Tier 3 and other local measures could bring the r rate below 1, but only if it’s properly followed. However, it was clear he wasn't totally on board, so probably Mick is quite right. He repeatedly appeared to suggest that circuit breaks was another approach that could have the same effect. Boris seemed less keen and kept banging on about Cornwall having low rates. It doesn't particularly feel like the government is following the science at quite the necessary rate.

It certainly seems that universities going back have had a huge effect regionally. Certainly here in Lancaster we were doing relatively well until Lancaster University students came back after Summer. It’s so bad there now they’ve even converted their new expensive sports centre into a Covid test centre!
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimWall

Post by TimWall » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:06 pm

My latest blog on Chess.com - 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Online Chess' - features the newly created North East Online League, and says why local online leagues are a great way to keep chess clubs together during lockdown:

https://www.chess.com/blog/timpeterwall ... line-chess

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Is there any appetite here (on the forum) for a 'Not Chess' discussion of the pandemic and various non-chess issues? Thought I'd ask here first, as this seems to be where most of such discussion is occuring.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:14 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 am
Living in Lancashire near Blackpool, we are on the brink of going onto Tier 3.
3 of Lancashire areas are in the top 10 in the country for infection rates.
Greater Manchester is also on the brink.
Lancs have got £42m for going into Tier 3 tomorrow

G Man still negotiating
What? Regions negotiate their price for Tier lockdown levels? I've been avoiding the news too much...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am

Which, as any scientist will tell you, proves that no other policy should be considered.
That's not what the scientists are saying, though, they are saying that Tier 3 won't be enough on it's own

Although I do appreciate that Tier 3 itself is fluid e.g. gyms closed in Liverpool but not Lancashire

My daughter is now self-isolating until the first day of half-term, when she can go out, although obviously not to school :roll:
To be fair Patrick Valance just said in the prime minister press conference, that Tier 3 and other local measures could bring the r rate below 1, but only if it’s properly followed. However, it was clear he wasn't totally on board, so probably Mick is quite right. He repeatedly appeared to suggest that circuit breaks was another approach that could have the same effect. Boris seemed less keen and kept banging on about Cornwall having low rates. It doesn't particularly feel like the government is following the science at quite the necessary rate.

It certainly seems that universities going back have had a huge effect regionally. Certainly here in Lancaster we were doing relatively well until Lancaster University students came back after Summer. It’s so bad there now they’ve even converted their new expensive sports centre into a Covid test centre!
Yes, it's about fixing test and trace, although I’ve just been for a test; booked at 5:10, test at 5:30; much easier in a walk-in, where you get to sit at a table to do it, rather than behind the wheel of a car
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:30 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm
Mick Norris wrote:

Yes, it's about fixing test and trace, although I’ve just been for a test; booked at 5:10, test at 5:30; much easier in a walk-in, where you get to sit at a table to do it, rather than behind the wheel of a car
We are all thinking of you Mick.
Let's hope the test comes back negative.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:14 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:16 pm
Regions negotiate their price for Tier lockdown levels? I've been avoiding the news too much...
That does seem to be the implication behind some recent news stories. Local politicians are often eager to obtain other peoples' money to spend on their pet projects.

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:00 pm
Well if reported and the police take action, £200 fines for attendees for a first offence. You can be fined £10000 if you organise and more than 30 people attend.
We Have around 18 to 20 attending every week risk assessment on our website everybody washes hands when entering the building wear masks on the premises windows are open everybody is at least 2 mts apart at all times we use the 2 board and 2 clock system all pieces and boards are sanitized before and after matches also chairs and tables sanitized so only plastic ones in use . I can assure you no one is doing more than us to make OTB chess safe . we are safer than going to your local tesco after 5 weeks no body has reported any symptoms and anyone that comes into contact with anyone school/work or relative cannot attend for 14 days also anyone traveling to another area or country required not to come for 14 days if croydon moves into tier 3 or we have a circuit break lockdown of course club will be suspended for a period of time

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Paul Bloom wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:33 pm
We Have around 18 to 20 attending every week

How do you get round the "no more than 6" rule? I expect the premises qualify as "community facilities" but how would you demonstrate that there aren't really 20 people in the room, but only at least 4 groups of 6 people or fewer?

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 pm

I would class it as 8 to 10 groups of 2 as one match per table all tables 3 mts apart and even both players are more than 2mts apart not touching any pieces that the other player has touched

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:09 pm

Paul Bloom wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 pm
I would class it as 8 to 10 groups of 2 as one match per table all tables 3 mts apart and even both players are more than 2mts apart not touching any pieces that the other player has touched
Any interesting games from Monday, Paul?

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:14 pm

not really most exciting thing that happened was somebodies phone rang and I had to instantly default them in a winning position.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 pm

Madness at CCF. Is that normal?

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 pm

as we are FIDE rated I had no choice

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Paul Bloom wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 pm
as we are FIDE rated I had no choice
If that's correct, it's because you chose not to have a choice - see the last sentence of Law 11.3.2.2.