Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Hmmm. I have to say I really don't care for the failure to provide explanations.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Martin,
Maybe you could post the last few games anonymously so we can see for ourselves.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:28 pm

lichess assessment:

Opponent +18
4 Inaccuracies
0 Mistakes
3 Blunders
32 Average centipawn loss
Richard James −7
4 Inaccuracies
2 Mistakes
5 Blunders
55 Average centipawn loss

This game was played three months ago in an internal club event on lichess (5' + 10"). My opponent (rated 1894 to my 1948 at the time) was a fellow club member, very well known for many years to me, and also to Martin, and is undoubtedly honest. Although he was rated slightly below me here he has, and has almost always had, a higher ECF rating than me.

Immediately after the game I was told my opponent had cheated and the result was reversed. I have no reason to suspect he was cheating in this game (where he made, according to the computer, three blunders), or that he would ever cheat.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Last edited by Richard James on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:02 pm

Richard,
Obviously, we are not party to all the metrics here, but I would be very, very surprised if a player was banned on the basis of the moves in this games. Therefore, there would seem to be two main possibilities

1. The player was banned for something that has happened in other games and the timing in coincidental
2. The player received an automatic ban for something external to the game i.e. having an analysis board open

Given your description of events then 2 seems the most likely explanation. I hope that your friend has appealed; If this is an automatic ban, a human should be able to see that an open analysis board has not had an impact on the game, so I would hope that an appeal would be successful.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Richard James wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:28 pm
Any thoughts or ideas?
Not that wouldn't get me into trouble.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Thoughtcrime - in contemporary English usage, the word describes beliefs that are contrary to accepted norms of society.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:33 pm

Martin Benjamin wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:54 pm
I was very disappointed to hear from a good friend of mine that lichess had restricted his activity because of "violations" which they will not specify.
Good news, as my friend reports:

LiChess have said that they are constantly improving their cheating detection s/w, but that in my case it flagged a false positive. They have removed the restriction on my a/c and apologised for any inconvenience.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 am

Good, i'm pleased
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:17 am

Martin Benjamin wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:33 pm
Martin Benjamin wrote:
I was very disappointed to hear from a good friend of mine that lichess had restricted his activity because of "violations" which they will not specify.

LiChess have said that they are constantly improving their cheating detection s/w, but that in my case it flagged a false positive. They have removed the restriction on my a/c and apologised for any inconvenience.
It's good news that Lichess have admitted the error of their ways and apologised. It would be helpful to know whether this occurred as a result of an appeal to Lichess or whether their correction was not prompted by the player.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:20 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 am
Good, I'm pleased
How are you doing with Chess.com Round 2?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:22 am

Oh, no reply. I may have another go if I can persuade mysrlf it is worth it.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 am

John Swain wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:17 am
Martin Benjamin wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:33 pm
Martin Benjamin wrote:

It's good news that Lichess have admitted the error of their ways and apologised. It would be helpful to know whether this occurred as a result of an appeal to Lichess or whether their correction was not prompted by the player.
I suspect this is an automated flagging, so for instance yesterday I played a 1 minute game and was winning easily, but then fell into a trap where I couldn't avoid checkmate. I had 15 seconds left, so I tried in vain to find a way out before resigning with 8 seconds remaining. I was then issued with a warning for 'deliberately allowing my time to run out'. Presumably, had I received more of these warnings I would have suffered a flagging. However, like Martin's friend presumably it would be overturned as soon as a human has the chance to look at it.

Neville Twitchell

Post by Neville Twitchell » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:51 pm

Just had my first experience of a cheating issue on the Lichess website. I got informed that "You lost to a cheater: Refunded 6 blitz rating points." It didn't say who the supposed cheater was and It doesn't seem possible to discover that from anywhere on the website, despite it's plethora of info. on every conceivable aspect of one's play.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:43 pm

Neville Twitchell wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:51 pm
It didn't say who the supposed cheater was and It doesn't seem possible to discover that from anywhere on the website
I think you check back against the user names of your opponents.

Tournaments running on chess-results have the lichess user names removed after completion of the tournament. Presumably the idea being to make a process of cross-checking lichess suspensions against real names more difficult.

http://chess-results.com/tnr533546.aspx ... =7&flag=30

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:10 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:43 pm
Neville Twitchell wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:51 pm
It didn't say who the supposed cheater was and It doesn't seem possible to discover that from anywhere on the website
I think you check back against the user names of your opponents.

Tournaments running on chess-results have the lichess user names removed after completion of the tournament. Presumably the idea being to make a process of cross-checking lichess suspensions against real names more difficult.

http://chess-results.com/tnr533546.aspx ... =7&flag=30
There’s the odd fishy one in those sections to be sure. The 70+ year olds finding the form in the online 4NCL that has eluded them for a lifetime in over the board chess.