(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm
I find Liechtenstein's anthem is strangely stirring
:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYsJ81Omgs

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:22 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:00 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm
I find Liechtenstein's anthem is strangely stirring
:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYsJ81Omgs
What a rip off of the original!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 pm

"I find Liechtenstein's anthem is strangely stirring"

I remember the stadium announcer before an England vs Liechenstein game explaining to the crowd what was happening. As the visiting supporters were outnumbered, I don't think they heard theirs!

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:20 pm

For sports events outdoors, in tier 1 up to 4,000 people or 50% of the usual capacity can gather, whichever is smaller, while in tier 2 the number is 2,000 people, or 50% of usual capacity. With indoor events, the ceiling is 1,000 people
Does this mean that OtB is back on post december 4th? (Maybe only in tier 1?).

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:30 pm

What are you quoting from in your post? Chess isn't classed as a sporting event. I would have thought the indoor event reference is to indoor sporting events following on from the sentence about outdoor events. As I understand it we are still effectively treated the same way as choirs and amateur dramatics. But maybe wait for the full guidance.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:52 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:30 pm
What are you quoting from in your post? Chess isn't classed as a sporting event. I would have thought the indoor event reference is to indoor sporting events following on from the sentence about outdoor events. As I understand it we are still effectively treated the same way as choirs and amateur dramatics. But maybe wait for the full guidance.
Quote from Newspapers, but actual Government document says:
https://www.scribd.com/document/4854993 ... from_embed page 25 onwards has the simple messages.
  • Large Events - Elite Sport, Live Performances & Business: 1000 indoors. Social contact limits apply. This is for both tier 1 and 2.
  • Entertainment: Open in tier 1 and 2
  • There seems to be however an implication of limiting interactions to 6 (it is explicit for friends and familly, not quite as clear for the rest. Weddings allowed 15, Funerals 30.
It does seem to imply that indoor chess events with multiple all-play-all of size 6 would definitely be ok, with broader Swiss tournaments a bit more of a question mark.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:10 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:30 pm
I think there's some ambiguity here in that, while Sport England doesn't recognise chess as a sport and there's no alternative UK definition, other countries - and, perhaps more significantly, the International Olympic Committee - have taken the opposite view. It's entirely possible to argue that the IOC is a more authoritative arbiter than a UK quango as to what constitutes "sport". But where each UK organiser has faced a problem is that, if a chess event challenged on this point, there 'may follow a long and expensive Court action to decide. Christmas may be coming but no-one is volunteering, understandably so, to be this particular turkey.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:14 pm

It reads as if you might be able to have some adult chess in Tier 1 areas which follow the rule of six. An important point would seem to be people travelling into a Tier 1 area from a higher Tier area have to follow their home Tier rules. So no gate crashers allowed at chess events! Lol The usual exemption for under 18 organised activities still exists, so junior only tournaments would be possible in all Tiers.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-restr ... ed-to-know
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:26 pm

I suppose we could invite Steve Baker to join his local chess club :)

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:09 am

Foreign Office update on situation Czechia (CzechTour events from Dec 5 and Dec12 must be is serious doubt):

It is mandatory to cover your mouth and nose in all indoor and outdoor public spaces and on public and shared private transport, including outdoor transport stops and stations. You should adhere to social distancing of 2m where possible when in public. All shops and services are closed. Essential shops and services such as grocery stores and garden centres remain open (though many of these must still close on Sundays). Restaurants, bars and clubs are closed, but some offer a takeaway service. Drinking alcohol in public places is prohibited. A maximum of six people are allowed to gather inside or outside, except for family members from the same household. You should not leave your place of residence between 11pm and 5am unless you are travelling to or from work, or making a necessary trip to ‘preserve health or property’.
All cultural venues – including museums, galleries and attractions such as zoos – also remain closed.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:14 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:26 pm
I suppose we could invite Steve Baker to join his local chess club :)
Are you aware that his one of his first engagements after being elected in 2010 was to present the prizes at a Junior chess event in High Wycombe on the Sunday after polling day?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:29 am

Yes, I was aware of it at time, 2010 seems a long time ago. My comment was not intended to be taken too seriously. Public health decisions cannot be black and white, because the decisions impact on quality of life stuff, but I think it is the sense of arbitrariness that is most difficult to handle.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:27 pm

Looks like Hradec Kralove and Brno have been cancelled: czechtour.net/news/

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:27 pm
That's it a bit of a shame Tim.
The travel corridor has opened up to Israel.
Is there any events taking place there you can go to?

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:27 pm
Applications / Entries suspended.
Looks like no updates until February 2021.
Paul Robert Jackson