(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J T Melsom

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:51 pm

The posts reflect the interests of the relevant posters, rather than what is necessarily the most important news. There is no reason for these additional topics not to be raised - Sunway Sitges already has a thread of its own - if people want to do so. The Russian championship went entirely without comment.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:04 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:21 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:34 pm
None of you seems to mention the First Saturday round robin tournaments in Budapest. They have been proceeding on schedule. There is never any scheduled for January.
Quite right, Stewart, and what is more Keith Arkell played in a First Saturday two months or so ago, announcing it advance here and winning a nice game despite a below par overall result, and that wasn't covered, If this topic is to be of value, surely the highest priority should go to events where English players participate, and the lowest to events in far flung continents where our players cannot realistically venture.

Right now two English juniors, one of them the son of a respected Forum member, are competing in Sunway Sitges in an international open, fighting bravely against much higher rated opponents, and still gaining Fide rating points. Don't they merit at least as much coverage as events in New Zealand or Alaska?
There is a thread on here about Sunway Sitges
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:08 pm

But surely these posts do represent "Chess life returning to normal". A thread about chess life, or any sort of life, returning to normal in England will be vacuous for the foreseeable future. We can only live vicariously in other jurisdictions.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:
None of you seems to mention the First Saturday round robin tournaments in Budapest. They have been proceeding on schedule. There is never any scheduled for January.
Quite right, Stewart, and what is more Keith Arkell played in a First Saturday two months or so ago, announcing it advance here and winning a nice game despite a below par overall result, and that wasn't covered, If this topic is to be of value, surely the highest priority should go to events where English players participate, and the lowest to events in far flung continents where our players cannot realistically venture.

Right now two English juniors, one of them the son of a respected Forum member, are competing in Sunway Sitges in an international open, fighting bravely against much higher rated opponents, and still gaining Fide rating points. Don't they merit at least as much coverage as events in New Zealand or Alaska?
I wish it were that simple. Travel to Hungary from the UK has been next-to-impossible for several months, otherwise I would have gone. Keith was able to play there, as I understand it, because he is a GM and so got an elite-sportsman's invite.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:

You're right they do.
That's why I've posted the New Zealand and Australia events into the Topic Obscure Events Going Ahead in the International news category.
I've not found the events taking place in Alaska though. I'm guessing they probably be taking place in either Anchorage or Fairbanks. I'll have a look later.
Surely the coverage should go to Chess players/unsung heroes that have departed this year. There have been so many and will leave big gaps in Chess clubs.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:51 pm

"I don't know the travel regulations to and from Hungary."

Budapest Airport staff seem to be even more unpleasant than other airport staff at the best of times, which is a pity as Budapest is (or are) rather nice.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:43 pm
Leonard Barden wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:

You're right they do.
That's why I've posted the New Zealand and Australia events into the Topic Obscure Events Going Ahead in the International news category.
I've not found the events taking place in Alaska though. I'm guessing they probably be taking place in either Anchorage or Fairbanks. I'll have a look later.
Surely the coverage should go to Chess players/unsung heroes that have departed this year. There have been so many and will leave big gaps in Chess clubs.
Simon, I wouldn't worry about Alaska. I am sure that Leonard was just using it as an example of an obscure place, not suggesting that there were events going on there.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:14 pm

John Moore wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:59 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:43 pm
Leonard Barden wrote:

You're right they do.
Simon, I wouldn't worry about Alaska. I am sure that Leonard was just using it as an example of an obscure place, not suggesting that there were events going on there.
I was only joking. I have a very dry sense of humour.
I'll try to report the 2 Deaths from Yorkshire and the South West after I've had my tea, later.
While researching the facts for the Deaths and Obituaries recently, sadly I've discovered two more chess player Deaths of which I'm sure some forum members and guests will have heard of the names.
One in East Anglia was an apparent suicide after his partner had passed away and the other in the North of England where the person was seriously assaulted in the street and died in hospital a few days later as a result of his injuries. I'm not sure whether to report them.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Simon, I think you should report such 'events', but be very careful about the manner.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:50 pm

Cornwall bumped up to Tier 2.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:51 pm

From BBC News:

The last question comes from Arj Singh from HuffPost. He asks if, given the highly-transmissible new variant, the government is guilty of overpromising by suggesting the UK can return to normality by Easter. Hancock replies that he is "highly confident we will get things back to normal before 2022"

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:37 pm
Simon, I think you should report such 'events', but be very careful about the manner.
Thanks for the advice Stewart.
I've had a look through the pages on the Deaths and Obituaries Category.
I'm afraid I've counted over a dozen members very quickly in our Blackpool and Fylde League who have passed away over the last 10 years not reported to the ECF or the forum.
A number of them were regular Congress players so a number of forum members would have played them but possibly not realised they have died.
There seems to be many more from the Lincolnshire Chess Association and down in Essex.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
I'm afraid I've counted over a dozen members very quickly in our Blackpool and Fylde League who have passed away over the last 10 years not reported to the ECF or the forum.
A number of them were regular Congress players so a number of forum members would have played them but possibly not realised they have died.
There seems to be many more from the Lincolnshire Chess Association and down in Essex.
Simon, what exactly are you proposing? I am rather worried that you are going to post ten years worth of obituaries on the site.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:12 pm

It is worth letting the Grading team know if there's anyone on the grading list who has died; I find people occasionally and let Matthew Carr know

I'd leave the obituary posting for anyone who has died within the last year only
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:23 pm

John Moore wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Simon, what exactly are you proposing? I am rather worried that you are going to post ten years worth of obituaries on the site.
Don't worry John. I'm not planning to post ten years worth of Obituaries on the site. I've kept it to the last twelve months.
I'm just trying to float a couple of ideas. On my travels I've counted more and more Deaths not reported.
I noticed that until 10 years ago we had no Deaths and Obituaries Category.
Is it worth starting a new section in the Deaths and Obituaries for Archive Deaths over the last 10 or 14 years. I think there will be useful information for Members and Guests.
Another option is to start a New Topic for the Deaths in General Chat or Chess History and list them County by County.
What is everyone's opinion?