Rules about drinking alcohol before or during matches

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Lettington

Re: Rules about drinking alcohol before or during matches

Post by David Lettington » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Anthony Taglione wrote:During my formative years, a beer glass was as regularly seen beside a chessboard as was an ash-tray. I suggest that you learn to cope with other people's ways and means of relaxing and enjoying a pleasant game of chess until such time as public consumption of ethanol is also made illegal.
Just because something was acceptable in the past doesn't mean it's OK now. Why should someone have to put up behaviour that they find offensive?

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:30 pm

THERE IS A SAINT!!!

Thank you ben, it seems that there is a "god" after all; I am glad someone agrees with me on this particular case I am with you 100% that chess is not the appropriate place to drink You at work today ben or you got the day off.

People should look to you as, you use to drink and now your tea- total. Is always great to know; as your right alcohol :D :D is horrible and has negative repercussions and has bad behaviour in contrast to this. I am glad this post has really got people showing there views I have keep this so long to myself I couldn't do that anymore and I appreciate all the feedback.

Matt.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:33 pm

There is no direct link between the consumption of alcohol during a game, and poor behaviour or distracting an opponent. (anybody regularly playing juniors will know that other drinks whether with screwtops or in cans can be more distracting.) Although I have on occasion considered the effect on the juniors in my team and club, that is a matter for personal decision, and should not be dictated by other authorities. There is a thin line between the puritanism of those who object to this behaviour and fascism. Chess is a sociable hobby and provided no laws are broken or serious distraction caused people should be allowed to consume what they wish.

Anthony Taglione

Post by Anthony Taglione » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:39 pm

David, you're riddled with assumptions and bigotry. If you, personally object to the aroma of fermented hops and barley then you have as much right to object as does any player who objects to a noxious miasma originating across the board. It is not meet to single out another's personal pleasure as objectionable to you and then find ways to make it seem objectionable to all. It is simply none of your business whether a player chooses to partake of a small libation whilst playing.

As for parents objecting to having their offspring associating with the dens of iniquity which are chess-clubs, if they are not fit to mingle with adults then they should be either supervised or kept away. It is not reasonable to treat the adults as children on the possibility that there might be children present.

As for putting up with behaviour one finds offensive, in this case I consider that the problem is yours and not one of the drinker's. Responsible consumption of alcohol is still considered to be a socially acceptable activity and sharing a drink with others is still seen as a friendly act. You are the one being offensive in suggesting that others conform to your requirements.
Last edited by Anthony Taglione on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:42 pm

David I totally agree with you, I just think people are not living in the real world anymore it's total nonsense to say the least. As far as I am concerned anyone that drinks whilst playing should get an immediate ban from the league for a certain period of time. It's unacceptable and is a bad role model to younger children that take up chess. Adults should be setting a example to the younger people and give a good influence; if we persist I can see chess ending up like Football, which is a daunting thought.

Matt.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:44 pm

Anthony I do understand your point of view; I don't think david is being particularly harsh atall; although I do back up your view anthony; drinking is a socially tradition in this country and maybe your right it shouldn't be given up. I guess if the parents are not happy then they should take there children away.

There is always disputes with matches at leagues, there should be a qualified arbiter present in each ameteur league, which would stop alot of controversy.

Matt.

Anthony Taglione

Post by Anthony Taglione » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:49 pm

You've yet to give any grounds, though, Matt, beyond your own personal dislike of drink. Some suggest that the occasional tipple is even beneficial to health. It promotes an increase in oestrogen formation which can help to reverse osteopaenia and can boost the immune system in some.

What are your grounds for objection beyond a dislike of rowdy drunks? The example set by adults drinking whilst playing chess is that one can simply enjoy a drink without getting blathered in the process. A lesson many others of your age-group could well do with having learned when younger. I commend you on having avoided such a pitfall but now you must also accept that adults can be and often are very responsible with a drink in their hand or blood-stream.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:50 pm

matt_ward wrote:There is always disputes with matches at leagues, there should be a qualified arbiter present in each ameteur league, which would stop alot of controversy.
Often there is. But he can't physically be at 6 league venues simultaneously. The arbiter is usually part of the Rules Committee for the league.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:52 pm

It would seem that we are going around in circles, which is quiet hilarious to be honest; the fact of the matter they are not breaking the law I guess, and they won't be able to stop it anyhow so it's maybe a fantasy although the world would be a better place with alcohol, drugs.

I just hope one day the issue of alcoholism gets sorted because it's destroying the league.

Matt.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I think most people know that drinking alcohol is unhealthy, and deep down, in their heart-of-hearts, know they shouldn't. But alas, they do. And they always will, unless the law is changed.

I suspect your point is something you should be raising with your Member of Parliament though, rather than on a chess forum. :wink:

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Where here have i said its neccassary to drink at the board. Im saying banning it is a pathetic idea, because your taking out alot more roots chess banning it.

I've never claimed you "must drink" to enjoy chess, far from it. But many people like to see chess for a social thing. It is quite boring if you can't have a pint or 5 beforehand with your mates.

I use to drink heavily at the board as everyone knows. I've given up because I have an MMA tournament in tel aviv in early August/late July(it was 29th last year).

Id argue we benefit the 4NCL more than hinder it, Sambuca Sharks.

In the Feb weekend, the room tab bills alone for the Sambuca Sharks exceeded £1500, trust me wed have to be alot worst to be disliked by the hotels when they factor in the profit they get.

The best teams to play for in my experience are my Drunken Knights, they have incredible unity, especially the Surrey border team. They are amazing. I love playing for them when I can get the time.

Where as when I've played for Hayes, Maidenhead, Haywards Heath, Bristol University etc etc , these teams are nice teams. But just not as lovable.

The matches i hate playing are Cavendish and Sandhurst/Camberley away

The reason is they are far too strict for what is a bloody evening match.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:58 pm

The backgrounds of me supporting this argument are the fact people are totally naive, if people acted responsible then there wouldn't be an issue and this debate wouldn't be happening today; I am not saying people shouldn't drink I am politely putting the point across that people "Grow another head" and they act irresponsible; I don't think people are understanding what I am trying to say but it's almost getting misleading, and people are still deflecting my view. I am not anti drinking far from it, but people don't seem to know when to stop.

Matt.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:59 pm

matt_ward wrote:It would seem that we are going around in circles, which is quiet hilarious to be honest; the fact of the matter they are not breaking the law I guess, and they won't be able to stop it anyhow so it's maybe a fantasy although the world would be a better place with alcohol, drugs.

I just hope one day the issue of alcoholism gets sorted because it's destroying the league.

Matt.

Destroying????! How??

Also for the record to me 196 is my own grade which i do indeed think is rubbish also.

Ben
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:03 pm

I can think of very few examples when any of my heavy drinking teams have acted in a poor way/ distract the opponent.

The "smell" is an invalid reason as there are plenty of other smells much worse at chess.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:09 pm

I agree with Ben, and note in passing there are a significant number of chess players, with higher grades than me who enjoy a responsible pint or more. Several are regular visitors to beer festivals and members of CAMRA. On the other hand those posting in favour of a ban seem to be guilty of prejudice, blanket assertion and other forms of incoherence, traits more commonly associated with the beer soaked masses they seem to decry!