
Although I am very much enjoying working through the book, I was startled to find one of the problems described using a term which is sufficiently unpleasant and racist that (though I will link for information) I will not repeat here. Though I was of course aware of the term (albeit it is a long time since I came across it) I hadn't previously been aware it existed in a chess context.
Anyway checking out the publishing informatrion at the front I find that the book was first published in 1976. My edition is from 1983 and though I haven't made a thorough search I can locate an edition from 2009, though obviously I've only seen the cover.
Now given that the term involved has been understood to be immensely offensive since well before the book's initial publication - and of course the book did not devise nor introduce the usage - I wondered, among other things, the following.
1. Did the term continue to be employed in later editions?
2. Has there ever been any disquiet, in the chess problem world, about the use of the term, and any attempt made to introduce different and less unpleasant terminology?