Aditya Verma

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: Aditya Verma

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:35 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 am
Previously
I am asking the moderators to consider moving all the comments into one thread (unless they agree with Andrew Z that they should be deleted).

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:40 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 am
Previously
I rarely inspect the "Media Comments" thread since it is mostly repetitive inane junk comparing football with chess so apologies for not noticing .
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:44 am

It’s frightening how quickly social media can come back to bite you on the arse these days. Potentially a £100,000 plus elite private education spaffed up the wall with a ten word snapchat to friends. A cautionary tale unfolding.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:10 pm

And having met him (and his family), they are all really nice.

Some of the media coverage implies that a private message was illegally hacked (not that I regard any newspaper as a primary source.)

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:11 pm

This thread has been flagged to Carl who has not yet responded to my earlier request for moderation. Yes - this incident is in the public domain but would not be of interest to this forum if the individual involved was not a chess player. He already has the embarrassment of being paraded in handcuffs due to what appears to be a very ill judged social media message so I don't see why we need to heap further humiliation on him. Or put another way - what is there actually to discuss here.

Also worth noting that the Sun report suggests that he might be returned to the UK to face consequences here. If that becomes the case contempt of court laws would mean that we couldn't discuss it here as it might prejudice his right to a fair trial.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:20 pm

Sounds like they will have their fingers crossed the National High Court bats the case back to the UK. Does anyone know how long the court process is likely to take in Spain?

It’s pretty much in all the online papers now; https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/53ed ... 937a799b17

It does seem a bit of a nonsense that a little bit of discussion on an obscure forum is going to prejudice a fair trial when the story is already in every news outlet in the country more or less.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:34 pm

<Moderator Hat>
This subject of discussion will remain open for now. I have, however, left the reports open so that Carl can also look at it and see if he thinks if it should be closed.

All the posts pertaining to the topic have been moved into this thread; please use it and not the Media Comments thread, even if another newspaper covers the case.
</Moderator Hat>

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:52 pm

Frankly, if I were Aditya or his parents facing Court proceedings and national media coverage, comments on this forum are the last thing I'd be worried about. It's sad to see the consequences which can follow from an incautiously sent message.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:56 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:20 pm
Sounds like they will have their fingers crossed the National High Court bats the case back to the UK. Does anyone know how long the court process is likely to take in Spain?

It’s pretty much in all the online papers now; https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/53ed ... 937a799b17

It does seem a bit of a nonsense that a little bit of discussion on an obscure forum is going to prejudice a fair trial when the story is already in every news outlet in the country more or less.
I don't dare read the online comments in these publications for the sake of my blood pressure but I suspect there is a lot of abuse in there bordering on racism (which incidentally is the reason many older chess players are taking sick glee in it). However if it was sub judice in the UK they would have to close off comments due to the risk of violating contempt of court laws - that risk still stands even in a relatively unread forum such as this one.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:16 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:56 pm
which incidentally is the reason many older chess players are taking sick glee in it
Where did you witness this?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:26 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:11 pm
. Or put another way - what is there actually to discuss here.
Well originally it appeared in a thread dedicated to chess in the media, and that is what it is.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:36 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:16 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:56 pm
which incidentally is the reason many older chess players are taking sick glee in it
Where did you witness this?
I refer to the seeming need to bring it into any chess forum going solely because he happens to play chess. Surely many contributors to this forum have sons, brothers and/ or chess students of a similar age.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:37 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:34 pm
<Moderator Hat>
This subject of discussion will remain open for now. I have, however, left the reports open so that Carl can also look at it and see if he thinks if it should be closed.

All the posts pertaining to the topic have been moved into this thread; please use it and not the Media Comments thread, even if another newspaper covers the case.
</Moderator Hat>
Final request to the moderators - I accept the decision but could the name of the thread perhaps be changed to "chess player arrested for bomb hoax"?

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:54 pm

I suggest you read this:

https://www.channel4.com/producers-hand ... dice-rules

It is clear from the above that in no way is this case 'sub judice' in the UK as yet.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:00 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:37 pm
Final request to the moderators - I accept the decision but could the name of the thread perhaps be changed to "chess player arrested for bomb hoax"?
Or even reassigned to "Media Comments on Chess"?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.