Carlsen resigns on move 2

The very latest International round up of English news.
Gerard Killoran

Re: Carlsen resigns on move 2

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:23 pm

Carlsen's coach, Peter Heine Nielsen, has given an interview to Chess24 .

Here https://youtu.be/DfPy90pGyOc with commentary from Hikaru.

For someone who ran a campaign for the FIDE presidency on the need for 'transparency', he was totally opaque on the question on whether Carlsen had any proof of Niemann cheating over the board. He batted away the questions citing clent confidentiality, but gave the occasional smirk as he did so. If he intended to say nothing, then what was the purpose of giving the interview knowing these questions would be asked? It became clear what his motive was when he criticised Ken Regan's analyses, not on the basis of the statistics (which he admitted he knew little about), but on Regan's ability to assess the chess moves. Nielsen did not give any examples, which would be the transparent thing to do, but just said enough to undermine Regans' credibilty.

ps Ken Regan may not be a 2700 SuperGM, but he was a strong 2400 IM and good enough to play in the US Championship.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:46 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:23 pm
It became clear what his motive was when he criticised Ken Regan's analyses, not on the basis of the statistics (which he admitted he knew little about), but on Regan's ability to assess the chess moves.
I thought the method relied on the reliability of stockfish and other engines to find the best moves, nothing to do with Ken Regan's chess ability. The premise being that if you can match the "perfect" play as defined by stockfish that you might have had hints along the way. The statistics being an attempt to turn the "might" into a near certainty.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:48 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:46 pm
Gerard Killoran wrote:
It became clear what his motive was when he criticised Ken Regan's analyses, not on the basis of the statistics (which he admitted he knew little about), but on Regan's ability to assess the chess moves.
I thought the method relied on the reliability of stockfish and other engines to find the best moves, nothing to do with Ken Regan's chess ability. The premise being that if you can match the "perfect" play as defined by stockfish that you might have had hints along the way. The statistics being an attempt to turn the "might" into a near certainty.
Yes, puzzIed for same reason as RdC. Can anyone expIain?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:33 pm

Is it just me, or does Carlsen play much better moves online than OTB?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:45 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:33 pm
Is it just me, or does Carlsen play much better moves online than OTB?
Not in this game!

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:23 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:48 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:46 pm
Gerard Killoran wrote:
Yes, puzzIed for same reason as RdC. Can anyone expIain?
Ask Peter Heine Nielsen.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:31 pm

Last edited by Paul Cooksey on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:50 pm

Magnus was interviewed at the end of today's play. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1597205717 from about 3 hours 36 minutes.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm

Magnus Carlsen this evening: ''In future cheating should not be taken lightly online nor over the board''. He said he will probably say more after this event is over.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:50 pm
Magnus was interviewed at the end of today's play.
Can someone give me a summary? I don't have a sick bag to hand.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:41 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
"Unfortunately I cannot particularly speak on that but people can draw their own conclusion & they certainly have. I have to say I am very impressed by Niemann's play & I think his mentor Maxim Dlugy must have been doing a great job"

Will be interesting what Max Dlugy-who I understand is not short of a bob or two-makes of that. Presumably the link being Dlugy was once cut off from a chess.com tournament, with people drawing a conclusion as to why that was despite silence from chess.com.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:47 pm

Hi,

A great interview by Kaja Snare she tried her best to squeeze something out
of Magnus, she did not fold, but he is sticking to his no comment stance. (for now)
It's his best and safest option. He will do another at the end of the tournament.

I took the mention of Hans being a good player as the fore runner of some kind of apology coming.
Hopefully, then we can go back to normal....what ever that is.
Last edited by Geoff Chandler on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:48 pm

Paul Heaton wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:41 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
"Unfortunately I cannot particularly speak on that but people can draw their own conclusion & they certainly have. I have to say I am very impressed by Niemann's play & I think his mentor Maxim Dlugy must have been doing a great job"

Will be interesting what Max Dlugy-who I understand is not short of a bob or two-makes of that. Presumably the link being Dlugy was once cut off from a chess.com tournament, with people drawing a conclusion as to why that was despite silence from chess.com.
I thought it was that Hans was part of his coaching academy: https://www.chessmaxacademy.com/achieve ... 2kVSjTKfvo but didn't know about the chess.com angle.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 pm

Paul Heaton wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:41 pm
Presumably the link being Dlugy was once cut off from a chess.com tournament.
Hi Paul,

I cannot see an underhand link there. Look how carefully Magnus chose his words.
But that part was smooth, scripted, he's been advised to slip that in so the apology will not
come out the blue. I'm sticking my neck out but that is only way this thing ends with him saying sorry.

Magnus has to wait till the end of the tournament to see how he and Hans does.
If Magnus gets knocked out sooner it will come then. An apology.

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:34 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:28 pm
I cannot see an underhand link there. Look how carefully Magnus chose his words.
Look on Twitter, Reddit etc. Journalists like Tarjei Svensen know exactly what he meant.

My *guess* would be Carlsen has seen thIs list of people chess.com have banned.