British Chess Championships 2011

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
cjdemooi

British Chess Championships 2011

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 am

This may seem some way off but such things need to be planned well in advance!

I'm making it a personal campaign to make the 2011 British Chess Championships the strongest and most prestigious for a generation.

I have already spoken to Nigel Short and Michael Adams and both have agreed to play. Several other Grandmasters including Simon Williams and Stuart Conquest are willing too, so I'm building towards a great event. I got to know a few of the local dignitaries in Sheffield when there for the World Snooker and I'll write, and speak, to them soon in order to gain recognition and local promotion for our event too.

Obviously money is a major concern. However, I'm intending to use the Kasparov dinner to raise funds for 1) the Karpov campaign 2) The British Champs 2011 and 3) The ECF, in that order. Each party should receive a total in the thousands wich should make things a little easier. I will of course be using the day to try and attract a sponsor be it for just the one tournament or longer term.

Nevertheless, I have personally guaranteed the conditions for several players and if all else fails, I will pay for it out of my own pocket. If I can't raise any other money, I want to be able to look back at the 2011 British Chess Championships and say 'I did that' and for that reason, I promise the funds will be available irrespective of other outcomes. Naturally, I'd rather not do this but some things are too important to fail so I am fully willing to pay in no alternative is available.

This traditional event which is excellently run by an experienced and dedicated team deserves this kind of effort, and with the field I've already lined up, I hope 2011 will be marked as a high point in its long and illustrious history.

Trefor Owens

Re: British Chess Championships 2011

Post by Trefor Owens » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:36 am

Brilliant!!!

The future is looking as bright as the view from my office window
(which is glorious by the way)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 am

Are you also going to invite the Scottish players, and cover their conditions? Rowson, Arakhamia-Grant, Aagard (if still eligible) spring to mind.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 am

Well done CJ, this is the best chess related news I have heard in ages. I also didn't realise that the 2011 Championships are to be held in Sheffield which is great for me on a personal note. The best thing we can all do to support this event is to ensure that all of the other competitions taking place around the Championship are as well attended as they can possibly be. I will 100% play in at least one of the events and look forward to receiving the details of what is planned later in the year.

I wish you all the best with finding an appropriate sponsor for the event.

p.s. Where is the proposed venue in Sheffield?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 am

Not a proposed venue for Sheffield 2011 - actually confirmed as http://www.ponds-forge.co.uk/ !
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:27 am

I'll be inviting as many GMs as I can but my personal finances don't extend to covering every single player I'm afraid. No disrespect to anyone else, but my first concern was to ensure the participation of Nigel and Mickey and although I'll try and make something available for all, this will be decided if additional funds are raised (and of course, my sphere of influence will also depend on whether or not I'm re-elected!)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:40 am

Getting the country's best players to play in the British Championship is a good thing to do. I also think the ECF should try to stop players of moderate ability playing in it, so it is an exclusive event that really is an achievement to qualify for. I'd like to see an event where there were few, if any, players rated less than 2200 playing in it.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:45 am

Do we know who is funding Mickey for this years event?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:58 am

Ian Thompson wrote:Getting the country's best players to play in the British Championship is a good thing to do. I also think the ECF should try to stop players of moderate ability playing in it, so it is an exclusive event that really is an achievement to qualify for. I'd like to see an event where there were few, if any, players rated less than 2200 playing in it.
In principle, I agree with you. However, the fact is that such players pay £200 each to play and without them the Championships would have lost even more money than they did previously.

Unless there is a fundamental change to funding the event, it's difficult to see how such players could be excluded.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:Getting the country's best players to play in the British Championship is a good thing to do. I also think the ECF should try to stop players of moderate ability playing in it, so it is an exclusive event that really is an achievement to qualify for. I'd like to see an event where there were few, if any, players rated less than 2200 playing in it.
Deary me, says the FM on the decline.

Your saying anyone Under 2200 is moderate? So I'll see you in Moderate-ville in a few years then
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Deary me, says the FM on the decline.
I think my results over the last year have been erratic, but overall its been a slightly above average season - next FIDE rating will be the highest its been for 18 months; next grade will be going up 7 or 8 points; IM norm scored in the 4NCL this season. On the other hand I lost 31 points in one tournament over Christmas and suffered the ignominy of getting the bye in round 6.
Ben Purton wrote:Your saying anyone Under 2200 is moderate? So I'll see you in Moderate-ville in a few years then
When it comes to who should be playing in a "strong and prestigious" (CJ's words) national championship, I think that you have to look at both the strength of the best players in the tournament and the average strength of all the players, so you do need to discourage players with lower ratings from playing. Its not that many years ago that 2200 was the minimum standard to even have a FIDE rating.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Ben Purton wrote:
Deary me, says the FM on the decline.

Your saying anyone Under 2200 is moderate? So I'll see you in Moderate-ville in a few years then
I would say people should be 200 or over to enter yes :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I would say people should be 200 or over to enter yes
The pool of eligible players rated 200 or over is only about 250.

Extend it to 175 or over and there are more than 1000.

If you did restrict the British, then the Major Open should be restricted to say 160 and above.

But as observed by Sean, the financial viability of the British depends on players paying to enter. If you want it the other way round (paying players to enter) you need a significant source of funds.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Great news CJ and if you are successful, it will more than compensate for having to go to Sheffield. :)
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:Great news CJ and if you are successful, it will more than compensate for having to go to Sheffield. :)
I have to go to Sheffield every day :(