Britbase Updates

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:06 pm

I'm puzzled by the following game, in particular the double blunder at move 19... Qc8 20. Nf6+, when Nd6 would have won the exchange. Obviously Wainwright was not at his best in this tournament, but did he:

1. Look only at Nf6 hoping for a mate on g7?
2. See Qe6 hitting the loose Rook on a2 and not calculate further?
3. Play quickly because the first time control was 20 moves in an hour?

Or, were other moves played?


User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by John Saunders » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:42 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:06 pm
I'm puzzled by the following game, in particular the double blunder at move 19... Qc8 20. Nf6+, when Nd6 would have won the exchange. Obviously Wainwright was not at his best in this tournament, but did he:

1. Look only at Nf6 hoping for a mate on g7?
2. See Qe6 hitting the loose Rook on a2 and not calculate further?
3. Play quickly because the first time control was 20 moves in an hour?

Or, were other moves played?

I can see no chess reason why 19...Qc8 should have been played. The likeliest answer is that it was a transcription error and that 19...Qc7 was actually played. The oldest source I have for this game is Tony Gillam's booklet 'Hastings 1923/24 & Weston-super-Mare 1924' (published in 1995) which also has 19...Qc8. It would have been digitised from the Gillam booklet by (someone working for) ChessBase some years ago. Mega Database 2022 also has 19...Qc8. Tony Gillam's stated source for the Weston 1924 games was the Tinsley notebooks but it might be worth looking through online newspapers in case it turns up in a regional newspaper. That said, the fact that it was a fairly unspectacular game which ended in a draw makes that a long shot.

I shall add a note to the file on BritBase that Black's move 19 looks like a transcription error and that 19...Qc7 was probably played. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:07 pm

I'm certain that the C. Sullivan who won the 3rd class B and the Lightning at Weston was Chris Sullivan.

C:\Users\coven\OneDrive\Pictures\Chess History\Bristol Evening Post - Saturday 01 June 1974 p.42.png
Attachments
Bristol Evening Post - Saturday 01 June 1974 p.42.png
Bristol Evening Post - Saturday 01 June 1974 p.42.png (393.44 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by John Saunders » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:20 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:07 pm
I'm certain that the C. Sullivan who won the 3rd class B and the Lightning at Weston was Chris Sullivan.
Thanks, Gerard, I'm sure you're right. I've added his forename in the relevant places. Anyone who was good enough to win a tournament in which Max Euwe finished 3rd deserves to have his full name up in lights.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:33 pm

Winner of best game prize in this section


User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by John Saunders » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:01 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:33 pm
Winner of best game prize in this section
Thanks for the game, Gerard, which I have added to the BritBase collection.

Hard to believe it was the best game in that section. Maybe it was the only entry...
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:00 pm

Hi John,

Maybe it was the most entertaining game, both sides attacking with Rook and Knight. Black finally wins back their piece only to get mated. If as you say, they were short of submissions I can see it get chosen.

User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Gerard Killoran » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:32 pm

Here's a puzzle, this was one of four games left for adjudication. Somerset were losing 7-5 but tied the match and went through on board count, meaning they were awarded 3 wins and 1 draw or 2 wins and 2 draws. I can't find any report giving the result of the game below and assume it was given as a win for Bolland, but as they say, "When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me"


User avatar
John Saunders
Posts: 1728
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by John Saunders » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:57 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:32 pm
Here's a puzzle, this was one of four games left for adjudication. Somerset were losing 7-5 but tied the match and went through on board count, meaning they were awarded 3 wins and 1 draw or 2 wins and 2 draws. I can't find any report giving the result of the game below and assume it was given as a win for Bolland, but as they say, "When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me"

Thanks for the game, Gerard, which I shall add to the BritBase collection of Mansfield games presently. BCM, January 1929, page 10, has all the individual board scores and shows that Bolland (Black) won. If BCM is to be believed, the score in the match played on 1 December 1928 was 8.5 to 7.5 in favour of Gloucestershire and not a tie. However, it seems that Somerset beat Gloucestershire by the same margin a few months previously and the two scores were added together to make an overall draw over the two matches. The final comment in BCM reads "With match all and equal figures a replay seems indicated." Replays don't often figure in modern-day chess but I have seen reference to them before in between-wars competitions.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 5834
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:26 pm

"Replays don't often figure in modern-day chess but I have seen reference to them before in between-wars competitions."

Indeed, Civil Service used replays in KO matches and even play-off matches where teams tied in the league up until the mid 50s. At one point, there was a 5-5 draw in a KO match and the teams were instructed that if they drew again, there would be a 15-board replay!

Looking at the Sandiford best game prize, it featured a nice finish, and "Best Game" prizes tend to be judged in different ways, Graham could be a bit prickly at times. Sadly, he's not around to give his views. Not having thought about GS for years, I noticed that Ray Keene included a game against Graham from his Dulwich College days in the "Article" a couple of weeks ago.

Jon D'Souza-Eva
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:05 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:26 pm
Looking at the Sandiford best game prize, it featured a nice finish, and "Best Game" prizes tend to be judged in different ways, Graham could be a bit prickly at times. Sadly, he's not around to give his views. Not having thought about GS for years, I noticed that Ray Keene included a game against Graham from his Dulwich College days in the "Article" a couple of weeks ago.
A couple of weeks ago:
https://www.thearticle.com/chess-lesson ... -iron-duke

A couple of years ago:
https://issuu.com/thegibraltarmagazine/docs/aug_21_web
(search for "keene")

Phil Neatherway
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
Location: Abingdon

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Phil Neatherway » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:21 am

The article about Wellington concludes thus:-
Ray’s 206th book, “ Chess in the Year of the King ”, written in collaboration with former Reuters chess correspondent, Adam Black, appeared earlier this year. Now his 207th, “ Napoleon and Goethe: The Touchstone of Genius” has materialised, just in time to complement Ridley Scott’s new epic Napoleon. Both books are available from Amazon and Blackwell’s.

John Townsend
Posts: 839
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by John Townsend » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:26 am

From what little is known, Napoleon would have been no match for the Duke of Wellington at chess, as the latter played at the United Service Club - not at all a strong club, but he played there regularly. See Edward Winter's two items, C.N. 11802 and C.N. 11809, and his feature article, Napoleon Bonaparte and Chess: https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/ext ... leon.html

I'm not sure about Goethe. I recall there is chess in at least one of his plays and, of course, there is the famous "touchstone of the intellect" quote. (See C.N. 5901).

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:15 pm

Hi Jon,

I used the scroll bar to page 96 for the Gibraltar Magazine link.

https://issuu.com/thegibraltarmagazine/docs/aug_21_web

The Game notes are the same and for the hat trick here https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1290168
but I've never really bothered with RDK re-hashing. I do it myself, not often, but if you have a stock game up your sleeve to get across an instructive point then why not? Usually I change the notes to fit the occasion. (add jokes or make an effort to elaborate more.) Perhaps RDK thinks what else can I add or change. If it was good enough then....

His 205th book! That's a quest for someone, get the lot.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 21316
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Britbase Updates

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:19 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:15 pm
The Game notes are the same and for the hat trick here
The comments date the chessgames posting to 2004. Given the game was played back in 1961, any earlier sightings?

Post Reply