Prep school chess evening

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Post Reply
Paul Habershon
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Prep school chess evening

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu May 23, 2024 10:01 pm

My daughter used to teach at Solefield School, a private preparatory school in Sevenoaks, and at the time, maybe still, John Emms was employed as a visiting chess coach. As a former member of staff she recently received the communication below, which describes what seems to be quite an unusual venture. It may have nothing to do with John Emms. I wasn't aware of the name Laurence Ball, but I looked at previous British Championship results to discover that the two championships he played in were Canterbury 2010 (5/11) and Torquay 2013 (4.5/11).

It doesn't look as though Laurence is giving a simultaneous, but I would be interested to know how the evening goes and how much parental participation there will be. Has any other school attempted something similar?

Dear Solefield Alumni, partners, former parents and staff,
Solefield School are thrilled to announce that Sevenoaks District Councillor and Chairman, Laurence Ball, will be opening our upcoming Alumni/Parents Chess Event on Monday 10th June 2024. Laurence will start the evening by saying a few words for those in attendance and will also be staying for some chess games.

As well as being a councillor for the Sevenoaks District, Laurence Ball is an accomplished chess player. Speaking recently on the matter Laurence says: “I have played chess since I was seven and have been lucky enough to qualify and play twice in the South African Championship and twice in the British Championship. I’ve been involved in the administrative side of the game too as the President of Chess South Africa and on the Ethics Committee of FIDE (the International Chess Federation). I still love the game. These days I play for Kent and help out with coaching at local schools.”

It will be a privilege to host Laurence at our Alumni Chess Event in June; we hope that as many of our chess-playing alumni and parents as possible can make it to this event. Spectators are also most welcome.

Please email me at [email protected] to confirm your attendance.

Yours sincerely,

Robert Fenning

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22665
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Prep school chess evening

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 23, 2024 11:40 pm

Paul Habershon wrote: ↑
Thu May 23, 2024 10:01 pm
I wasn't aware of the name Laurence Ball, but I looked at previous British Championship results to discover that the two championships he played in were Canterbury 2010 (5/11) and Torquay 2013 (4.5/11).
I think he stood for an ECF post, Non-Exec I think it was.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Pc7Ue_QBB7

The RGS High Wycombe is mentioned. That was a local rival in my school days and John Saunders' school. I don't think he was there for very long. There's a old post where JCS attempted to find his school record.

Post Reply