New features.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

New features.

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Nov 23, 2024 4:26 pm

Hi there, this is indeed a cracking forum but I have some questions. As a website its a bit on the dull side. Can't we get new features, themes would be great too, different icons. It does look like a very dated forum, some interface options would be great if possible. Twitter now X did it, that sort of thing. Thoughts?

I like dark theme for everything and higher contrast. Most sites give you these options.

Thoughts?

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: New features.

Post by John Upham » Sat Nov 23, 2024 5:30 pm

MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2024 4:26 pm
Hi there, this is indeed a cracking forum but I have some questions. As a website its a bit on the dull side. Can't we get new features, themes would be great too, different icons. It does look like a very dated forum, some interface options would be great if possible. Twitter now X did it, that sort of thing. Thoughts?

I like dark theme for everything and higher contrast. Most sites give you these options.

Thoughts?
May I ask what you expected to see out on a phpBB forum web site? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain...

Answers on a postcard please.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: New features.

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Nov 23, 2024 5:36 pm

Already stated. How about light and dark theme, text colour, simple things that all apps and many websites now. I don't think that's much to asnwer. Customization has been around for some time already. Can't the creators be contacted about this? Just opions over customization really.

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8384
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: New features.

Post by John Upham » Sat Nov 23, 2024 5:41 pm

MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2024 5:36 pm
Already stated. How about light and dark theme, text colour, simple things that all apps and many websites now. I don't think that's much to asnwer. Customization has been around for some time already. Can't the creators be contacted about this? Just opions over customization really.
I for one I most satisfied at what this forum has and continues to achieve since December 8th 2006. We owe Carl an enormous debt of gratitude for the work put in over the last 18 years.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: New features.

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Nov 23, 2024 5:53 pm

Well there's no doubting that but like I said, some modernisation to make it more customizable would be great and more in line with the current trend. What X did would sufffice. Different themes and font colours.

NickFaulks
Posts: 9290
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: New features.

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 23, 2024 7:26 pm

To whom it may concern, please leave it it the way it is.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Ivell
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: New features.

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Nov 23, 2024 7:45 pm

We need to bring in Elon Musk to sort us all out!

NickFaulks
Posts: 9290
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: New features.

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 23, 2024 9:10 pm

Nick Ivell wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2024 7:45 pm
We need to bring in Elon Musk to sort us all out!
Is the ECForum wasting shedloads of money?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: New features.

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Nov 24, 2024 2:38 am

I just thought it would be nice if I could do the same as I did with X, get a dark theme and change font colours, that's all.

Clive Wismayer
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: New features.

Post by Clive Wismayer » Sun Nov 24, 2024 8:42 am

Replies from dinosaurs here are interesting & characteristic.

Tim Spanton
Posts: 1402
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am
Contact:

Re: New features.

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Nov 24, 2024 8:43 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

NickFaulks
Posts: 9290
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: New features.

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 24, 2024 8:52 am

Clive Wismayer wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2024 8:42 am
Replies from dinosaurs here are interesting & characteristic.
Better than boring and characteristic.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Re: New features.

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Nov 24, 2024 9:14 am

MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2024 2:38 am
I just thought it would be nice if I could do the same as I did with X, get a dark theme and change font colours, that's all.
The issue with this is that sites like this have post-level formatting in a way that X doesn't. For example, I can post this and be sure it will stand out, which isn't necessarily the case if you've changed your text colour, or worse, your background colour, to red.

Clive Wismayer
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: New features.

Post by Clive Wismayer » Sun Nov 24, 2024 10:30 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2024 9:14 am
MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2024 2:38 am
I just thought it would be nice if I could do the same as I did with X, get a dark theme and change font colours, that's all.
The issue with this is that sites like this have post-level formatting in a way that X doesn't. For example, I can post this and be sure it will stand out, which isn't necessarily the case if you've changed your text colour, or worse, your background colour, to red.
What’s wrong with having the choice? You don’t have to change anything yourself.

Clive Wismayer
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: New features.

Post by Clive Wismayer » Sun Nov 24, 2024 10:31 am

NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2024 8:52 am
Clive Wismayer wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2024 8:42 am
Replies from dinosaurs here are interesting & characteristic.
Better than boring and characteristic.
Scintillating repartee! :mrgreen:

Post Reply