British Chess Championships 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: I would enjoy seeing him explaining what electricity is to a group of 11 year olds.

Here is a demonstration plus explanation : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ho8di4ywQ

The old person in this clip is a chess organiser who has been shown modern ways of improving his events. His reaction is typical.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
I couldn't agree less with Richard Bates' statement about the FIDE Ratings going down to 1200. The intention was announced in 1999 (at my suggestion) to go eventually down to 1000 and I expect that to be reached next year. Surely that has been adequate advance notice for him to lodge objections? Since Acceleration makes use of ratings, I cannot understand why he thinks it would be better to have no rating at all. He could argue, if he wishes, for the system to use Ratings down to the age of 16 and Grades under that, but it would be cumbersome. Anyway, so far the British this year is an excellent advertisement for the system used.

Stewart Reuben
Since you take issue with my use of the phrase "ill-thought-through", we'll have to agree to disagree about the (non-monetary) value of trying to encompass the whole chess playing world in the FIDE rating system, and how desirable are some of the consequences. The mess that FIDE got themselves into recently with "K" factors (whilst notionally concerned with frequency of list publication, but which is indirectly linked to the wider changes) is at least some evidence that the whole thing hasn't been a perfect example of sound strategic planning.

My question on acceleration was not rhetorical - I was merely asking whether a pairing system which I think places a bit more importance on the accuracy of ratings than standard Swiss pairing systems was more vulnerable as ratings become more unreliable (because Juniors are entering the system at a far earlier stage of their development which is producing a 'lag' effect as their initial low ratings continue to have an impact for far longer than it might in the past). The question is as open to the answer being "no" as it is to being "yes".

None of this is to excuse the pressure i put on my own rating through my own incompetence :)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Amateurish effort anyway, I thought. In my last tournament I opened by losing to players ranked 450 and 350 points below me in the opening two rounds...
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:34 pm

benedgell wrote:Pairings for rd. 3 now up. Shame I'm going to be out for the day, as Rudd- Williams should be great to watch. Predicting Adams, Williams, short draw, Gordon, Conquest, draw, draw, Hawkins, Slavin, draw, as the results for the top 10 boards tomorrow.
6/10 for me yesterday if you class 21 moves as a short draw. Great results for Rudd and Rendle.

Today I'll predict Adams, draw, draw, draw, draw, Pert, Williams, Pert, Houska, Summerscale for the results on the top 10 boards.

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:38 pm

The live games listing for Boards 1 to 6 currently shows Nicholas Pert as Black on both board 5 and board 6. Board 5 should be Alexei Slavin.

Update - now corrected with commendable alacrity
Last edited by John Philpott on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:42 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Amateurish effort anyway, I thought. In my last tournament I opened by losing to players ranked 450 and 350 points below me in the opening two rounds...
A mishap which in my perfect world would only be available to 2650+ supergrandmasters ;)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Jack is currently preparing intensively for his game this afternoon against a former World Number 4, and current British Number 1... by playing Spider Solitaire. :)

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Jack is currently preparing intensively for his game this afternoon against a former World Number 4, and current British Number 1... by playing Spider Solitaire. :)
get a photo, and I will make that the front page of the site ;-)
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Jack is currently preparing intensively for his game this afternoon against a former World Number 4, and current British Number 1... by playing Spider Solitaire. :)
get a photo, and I will make that the front page of the site ;-)
Too late, he's already won!

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 pm

He's been working hard on the jigsaw too. :)
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Warren Kingston

Post by Warren Kingston » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:13 pm

And to think I have spent pounds and pounds on chess books and DVDs and all I needed was a jigsaw and Spider Solitaire. Erm.....

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Is he really playing the hippopotamus against Michael Adams or is someone playing an elaborate joke?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Is he really playing the hippopotamus against Michael Adams or is someone playing an elaborate joke?
Nope, he said he was going to play it when I asked him at about 1pm. Thought I'd better not share that with the world though, in case Adams' spies were watching...

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:42 pm

What with the Kings Gambit in round 1, and the Hippo this round, Mickey must be wondering what on Earth is going to come next in the openings
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Just noticed that my fellow Birmingham Leaguers are doing well, Pablo Padilla Cabero and Don Mason both on 2/3. Pablo has played a bit of a crazy opening too...