British Chess Championships 2010

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: British Chess Championships 2010

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:07 pm

So was 23.Bd3 a brilliancy, or did Peter miss a defense?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:10 pm

I don't think Bd3 can be a brilliancy because wasn't it forced? Also Wells didn't need to take the piece, he could have played Qe5 instead. Still it was a great game by Adam and I think he should be able to avoid Mickey in round 5.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Any updates on the junior events that were played this morning?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Anyone see any issue with the Live Games today?

1-6 struggled a little at one point but the new larger server running 7-15 worked well, reports welcomed on performance or glitches with either please
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Anyone see any issue with the Live Games today?

1-6 struggled a little at one point but the new larger server running 7-15 worked well, reports welcomed on performance or glitches with either please

Came back to my hotel to watch the coverage today and all seemed well. Good work as always.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Anyone see any issue with the Live Games today?

Not sure if this is what you had in mind but the extra moves at the end of Hawkins - Conquest (see my post above) seem to have disappeared now. Don't know if this is because they never happened in the first place or whether they've dropped off for some reason. Either way it seems to be a minor glitch.

That said - things seem to be running pretty well overall. Thanks for your efforts.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Just a case of the players analysing before recording the result. Nobody can do anything about that.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:52 pm

I could not load any games for a period of about 1 hour, either 3pm to 4pm or 3.30 to 4.30pm.

Also (possibly not what you asked) the Andrew Martin commentary was not accessible at any time through the afternoon because there was always a maximum number of people logged in (about 60?).

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:I could not load any games for a period of about 1 hour, either 3pm to 4pm or 3.30 to 4.30pm.

Also (possibly not what you asked) the Andrew Martin commentary was not accessible at any time through the afternoon because there was always a maximum number of people logged in (about 60?).
1-6 or 7-15 or the whole lot?

The commentary is outside of my control although 60 does not seem a lot I have to say :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:10 pm

The cameras chose today to see Peter Williams' game. The cameralady has been stood at her camera in the playing hall for nearly five hours now. That's a pretty impressive effort...

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:07 pm

it was boards 1 to 6 where I had the problem.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Thank you to all who have tuned in for the live commentary.

I would like to assure you that everything possible is being done to ensure coverage,despite very tight financial constraints.

Better still, we will be pleased to welcome you in Canterbury!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 am

The correct way to deal with the DGT boards at the conclusion of the game is to
stop the clocks
make an illegal move such as removing a pawn from the board
put the kings in the centre to indicate the result. White square if White won, black if Black won, one of each colour if a draw. Then the game is saved together with the result.
Now the players can analyse on the board without causing any confusion, although of course they shold not do so anyway.
Leave the board set up with the kings in the middle so spectators, players and arbiters can see the result.
There aren't enough arbiters to ensure this is done properly, but I would have thought by round 4 the players would be used to this, having often played on the boards before and should have been alerted to this in the note to the players before the event starts.

Stewart Reuben

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:57 am

Mike Gunn wrote:it was boards 1 to 6 where I had the problem.
Yes it struggled on that server with the 3 million+ requests yesterday so Dave might switch things around a little today onto the bigger box?

I won't be monitoring as I am off site in Manchester :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:The correct way to deal with the DGT boards at the conclusion of the game is to
stop the clocks
make an illegal move such as removing a pawn from the board
put the kings in the centre to indicate the result. White square if White won, black if Black won, one of each colour if a draw. Then the game is saved together with the result.
Now the players can analyse on the board without causing any confusion, although of course they shold not do so anyway.
Leave the board set up with the kings in the middle so spectators, players and arbiters can see the result.
There aren't enough arbiters to ensure this is done properly, but I would have thought by round 4 the players would be used to this, having often played on the boards before and should have been alerted to this in the note to the players before the event starts.

Stewart Reuben
I agree with what Stewart says here - although putting the kings in the centre is an illegal move in itself. In fact sometimes this is the only way of recording the result. The software used to connect to the boards is (was) very prone to crashing in such a way that the moves were still being received from the board and fed on to the internet, but the 'user interface' part of the software was not responding, so the person overseeing the transmission isn't able to do anything, apart from the control-alt-delete of last resort.

It is understandable that after a game players would like to have a universal post game routine to stick to. However, this is not possible as we have conflicting requirements. Sensory boards have someone looking after them and that makes it OK to leave them as they get sorted out in time for the next round. Based on last year there were 23 sensory boards and almost 90 standard boards, where the control team requirements are that the pieces are reset at the end of each game. I personally don't like to see row after row of boards set up apart from the kings being in the middle to show who won. For the majority of the games players will not have namecards at the board so you'll still have to go looking to see who played who anyway. It may only take a few seconds to put the kings back, but when you're prepping 90 boards for a session it can add a bit of time.