British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22664
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
I'm sure many of us played in its events over the years. Lack of any current Google presence would seem to indicate that it's now defunct. Would anyone care to document its passing?
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
I asked around about the British Universities Chess Association (BUCA) earlier this year and discovered that it was last listed in the ECF/BCF Yearbook in 2002. I contacted Peter Gibbs (who was then listed as its president) and he told me it was moribund. It had changed its name to BUPCA (to recognise the existence of Polytechnics) for a while but then changed back to BUCA. Peter told me the last BUCA Championship was in 1991 (in Swansea) and had been won by Nottingham. He thought Cyril Johnson had given some thought to resuscitating it but perhaps he is busy with other things.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
During my investigation, I received a letter from Geoff D Parbrook telling me that he still had a few items relating to BUCA from when he was associated with it. He was wondering what had become of it. He kindly sent me some of the material he still had (including some correspondence: letters from BH Wood, WR Hartston, etc), a few CHESS and BCM magazines with articles on university chess (mainly from 1951 but also 1964) plus a few copies of the bulletin 'Universities Chess Annual' (1950-54, plus 1964-66).
Very interesting stuff but I think I would need rather more material in order to write an article about it, but might consider doing something for BCM if anyone else can chip in with some material. I suppose there might be more to be found in the English Chess Library - does anyone know?
Very interesting stuff but I think I would need rather more material in order to write an article about it, but might consider doing something for BCM if anyone else can chip in with some material. I suppose there might be more to be found in the English Chess Library - does anyone know?
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
-
Neill Cooper
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
- Location: Cumbria
- Contact:
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
There have been various inter-university tournaments since 2000 - the latest being in 2007. See http://www.sunion.warwick.ac.uk/chess/tournaments.html
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9324
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
I wondered the same thing.
I've been in contact with Adam Raoof recently (i.e. the last day or two), attempting to set up a BUCA Championship in February 2010ish, and indeed, restart BUCA too.
So far, I've got the list of 25-30 societies' contact addresses, booked an appointment to speak with Aston Univerity's Events Manager, and am awaiting feedback on a draft constitution for it. (Aston because it's my University, and it's smack in the middle of the UK (more or less), and just a 15-minute walk from New Street Station.)
Once Adam has given it the all clear, I'll contact the relevant societies with the aim of getting them to join.
I've been in contact with Adam Raoof recently (i.e. the last day or two), attempting to set up a BUCA Championship in February 2010ish, and indeed, restart BUCA too.
So far, I've got the list of 25-30 societies' contact addresses, booked an appointment to speak with Aston Univerity's Events Manager, and am awaiting feedback on a draft constitution for it. (Aston because it's my University, and it's smack in the middle of the UK (more or less), and just a 15-minute walk from New Street Station.)
Once Adam has given it the all clear, I'll contact the relevant societies with the aim of getting them to join.
-
Phil Makepeace
- Posts: 342
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:46 pm
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
Good work Alex. I'd be interested in playing if it is indeed in Birmingham; I'd imagine my UCL team would be among the favourites given we have at least eight 180/2100+ players.
-
Peter Rhodes
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 pm
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
That will be very impressive if you can get things off the ground Alex. I take my hat off to you.
Perhaps you can design a mailshot pack that can be targetted at Universities ? It would be really useful if you could research the best ways to get funding for Chess from Students' Unions. Having been involved with that side of things in the past, give me a shout if there is anything you would like to discuss.
Phil, I believe that Alex indeed intends to hold the event in Birmingham.
Perhaps you can design a mailshot pack that can be targetted at Universities ? It would be really useful if you could research the best ways to get funding for Chess from Students' Unions. Having been involved with that side of things in the past, give me a shout if there is anything you would like to discuss.
Phil, I believe that Alex indeed intends to hold the event in Birmingham.
Chess Amateur.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9324
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
It would be in Birmingham. You could send multiple teams if you wanted. Hopefully Aston would be a match for your 4th team.Phil Makepeace wrote:Good work Alex. I'd be interested in playing if it is indeed in Birmingham; I'd imagine my UCL team would be among the favourites given we have at least eight 180/2100+ players.
That's a good idea, and thanks. My first aim is to target the 20odd Universities with societies. I'll then contact the Guilds of some of the more elite Universities without societies, and see if they can put a notice out to all the students, or something like that. As for funding, Adam has said he is investigating getting sponsorship for the event, so that should hopefully reduce the entry fees for such a competition.Peter Rhodes wrote:Perhaps you can design a mailshot pack that can be targetted at Universities ? It would be really useful if you could research the best ways to get funding for Chess from Students' Unions. Having been involved with that side of things in the past, give me a shout if there is anything you would like to discuss.
The format for the first event would be a 5-round Swiss, with 30/60 back 15 time limits. That way, Round 1 can start at 1230 on the Saturday, meaning everyone can travel down on the Saturday morning, rather than Friday evening. Even trains from places like Edinburgh "only" take 4 hours. This cuts the cost of accommodation. Adam mentioned getting sponsorship for the event, if successful, then that could reduce the cost of entry. That might make travel costs a bit less of an overall burden.
- Adam Raoof
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
- Location: NW4 4UY
- Contact:
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
I am fully in support of reviving this Association and creating a flagship event to promote it. I work for a University, and have worked for a Student Union, and I know that each University club usually has access to funding for society activities such as this.
However, I have a few ideas for possible sponsorship for this event, and I'm looking into it. I suggest that if there are any students reading this who don't already belong to a University club - then join one, or start one immediately!
Then contact Alex
However, I have a few ideas for possible sponsorship for this event, and I'm looking into it. I suggest that if there are any students reading this who don't already belong to a University club - then join one, or start one immediately!
Then contact Alex
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
- Ben Purton
- Posts: 1634
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
- Location: Berks
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
What happens if Uni's dont have teams. Brunel has an IM who lectures and is also number 1 on "Chess Science" in the world almost.
Im guessing Bristol Uni wont be allowed me like in Bristol League
Im guessing Bristol Uni wont be allowed me like in Bristol League
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks
- Ben Purton
- Posts: 1634
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
- Location: Berks
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
Edinburgh might be dark horses Phil on 4 board matched theyd bend you over and ........
They have 2 foreign GM's/IM's
They have 2 foreign GM's/IM's
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks
-
Eoin Devane
- Posts: 517
- Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:21 pm
- Location: Cambridge
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
One quick question - how will team composition be regulated? Presumably it will only be open to full-time resident students of the University, or will faculty members, deferred students etc. be allowed as well? I guess whatever the decision, it'll need to be made clear in the advertising to avoid any sort of disputes at the event.
As I said before, I completely support this initiative. If you need any help with anything, feel free to get in touch.
P.S. Now that this thread seems to be focussing mainly on a proposed new tournament, might it be better located in another of the fora (General or something)?
As I said before, I completely support this initiative. If you need any help with anything, feel free to get in touch.
P.S. Now that this thread seems to be focussing mainly on a proposed new tournament, might it be better located in another of the fora (General or something)?
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9324
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
I think it's best to focus on the Universities which have teams established, first. Then I'll look for the Guild websites for the Universities who would seem likely to have a team, but not actually have one, if you see what I mean. Things like Loughborough, Liverpool, Portsmouth and Coventry. Hopefully, the Guild could then send out an e-mail to their members.Ben Purton wrote:What happens if Uni's dont have teams.
Bristol University will naturally be invited (when the time is right); I found contact details for them.
The plan (as far as I'm concerned), is that teams can only be composed of practicing students (be it research students or undergraduates), but I'm presently unsure about whether to also let in academic staff who are paid by the University. Some socieities permit non-academic people to play for them. I'm happy for that University to be a member of BUCA, but I would be strongly against them playing in a BUCA Championship.Eoin Devane wrote:One quick question - how will team composition be regulated?
-
Phil Makepeace
- Posts: 342
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:46 pm
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
Well the eight players at 2100+ is just an indicator of the strength in depth we have. Our top three boards would average around 2300. Ben, I'm surprised you haven't picked up on the acronym being used...Ben Purton wrote:Edinburgh might be dark horses Phil on 4 board matched theyd bend you over and ........
They have 2 foreign GM's/IM's
- Ben Purton
- Posts: 1634
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
- Location: Berks
Re: British Universities Chess Association (BUCA)
Phil Why don't we organise a London Uni's select V An Oxbridge Select.
That would be cool and one of the Sambuca Sharks is secretary of Cambridge uni team so could be easily an idea.
Id hope id make the top 8 :S:S:S.........
That would be cool and one of the Sambuca Sharks is secretary of Cambridge uni team so could be easily an idea.
Id hope id make the top 8 :S:S:S.........
[i]I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night[/i] - Bill Hicks