Vote for an ECF logo

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Vote for an ECF logo

Poll ended at Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Option 1 -
24%
Option 2 -
10%
Option 3 -
66%

Total votes: 41

Adam Raoof

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Let's assume that the ECF produces, or licences, a piece of software that anyone interested in playing chess could download, and we want to put our logo on it. The current logo wouldn't work, for reasons given below. A new logo that rendered well on a small screen would. This would reach a whole new audience, and drive them towards the ECF website.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Let's assume that the ECF produces, or licences, a piece of software that anyone interested in playing chess could download, and we want to put our logo on it. The current logo wouldn't work, for reasons given below. A new logo that rendered well on a small screen would. This would reach a whole new audience, and drive them towards the ECF website.
All becomes clear. An excellent reason for change.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:The current logo wouldn't work, for reasons given below. A new logo that rendered well on a small screen would.
The current logo looks fine on the tiny screen on my Nokia E71.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm voting with Sean. The existing logo may be a bit dated but then that's what familiarity does for you. It is obvious it's about chess and the name renders well even at small size. Lots of corporates and organisations make subtle changes to logos these days rather than replacing them with a completely new identity.

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Richard James wrote:
The current logo dates back to 1981
It's not quite the same logo, is it? I believe it was subtly changed a few years ago from the one below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:07 pm

David Lettington wrote:
Richard James wrote:
The current logo dates back to 1981
It's not quite the same logo, is it? I believe it was subtly changed a few years ago from the one below.
Yes, you're quite right.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 pm

The old BCF logo is excellent and vastly superior to the ECF one. The shape of the pieces are better, there is no horrible "platform" at the bottom and the blue outlining works much better than the white. If someonecould modify the old BCF logo to say ECF, I think we'd have a clear winner! (Edit: I just did it)

The only disadvantage is that people might not be sure what "ECF" stood for, but I don't think that's such a big deal. You could always have a version with "English Cheese Federation" under the logo for times when it needed to be spelt out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:The old BCF logo is excellent and vastly superior to the ECF one. The shape of the pieces are better, there is no horrible "platform" at the bottom and the blue outlining works much better than the white. If someonecould modify the old BCF logo to say ECF, I think we'd have a clear winner! (Edit: I just did it)

The only disadvantage is that people might not be sure what "ECF" stood for, but I don't think that's such a big deal. You could always have a version with "English Cheese Federation" under the logo for times when it needed to be spelt out.
Yes, comparing the two I agree with you that the old logo is vastly superior. I don't see that there was any need to change it at all.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:45 pm

I have just voted for 1 but the old one (with ECF substituted for BCF) would be OK, too. The current one (i.e. 3) is the worst of the lot, imho.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:"English Cheese Federation"
I am sending off my membership right now!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Is this affiliated to the British Cheese Board?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:If someone could modify the old BCF logo to say ECF, I think we'd have a clear winner! (Edit: I just did it)
I prefer that to any of the other rubbish :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
That was a deliberate mistake. When I was going through the prospectus for my son's new school I noticed that there was a Cheese Club listed. When I asked one of the teachers whether this was a typo for Chess Club, he assured me that a group of boys meet once a week to try out new and exciting cheeses.

Edit: It even gets a mention in the Tatler Schools Guide: http://guides.tatler.co.uk/WCS/Schools/ ... px?ID=2262
... extracurricular societies flourish, including the curiously popular Cheese Club

Maxim Devereaux

Post by Maxim Devereaux » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:They are both bloody awful. Keep looking!

Liam Rabbitte

Post by Liam Rabbitte » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:02 pm

I used the second logo's font and made the pawn a little classier :mrgreen: