Vote for an ECF logo

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Vote for an ECF logo

Poll ended at Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Option 1 -
24%
Option 2 -
10%
Option 3 -
66%

Total votes: 41

Michele Clack

Re: Vote for an ECF logo

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:36 pm

The old logo does look a bit dated. The pawn one could be anything and the knight one is wishy -washy and again not instantly recognisable as a knight. Liam's pawn looks a lot better but for instant recognition that the logo is related to chess a knight or even rook would be better.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Martin Regan wrote: There are more important challenges.
A perfect summary.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:16 pm

I like the idea of using a pawn (something modest, a bit different and which needn't, due to its simpler shape, take up a lot of space) rather than a knight (a bit clichéd, I think). I really like Liam's pawn but I'm not quite sure about the text - I'd at least prefer if it was horizontal.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:07 pm

Horizontal is so old fashioned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maria Yurenok

Post by Maria Yurenok » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I don't like any of three logos but I voted for option 3 as I'd prefer ECF to spend money on chess development activities than on a new logo. Someone already suggested a good idea to run a competition for a new logo among members - there are so many talented people among members who I'm sure would compete even for a small prize. The problem with the current logo is it looks very dated, a bit like cardboard cut-out. I agree with other people that the old BCF logo was definitely better.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:26 pm

logo2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:57 pm

If there has to be a new logo, I'd rather it didn't have St George's cross on it. I think that the emphasis should be on "chess" rather than "English", particularly as the ECF organises the British Championships.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 am

Dear All,

I have posted below some suggested logos by my sister, who is an experienced graphic designer with many years in the field.

Please post your feedback!

Regards,

Ljubica

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 am

I think these are much better than any of the previous suggestions.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:57 am

I really like the first one by Ljubica's sister, though the king does look a little bit like Mr Tickle:
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs22/i/2007/ ... sLover.jpg
(you may have to rub your eyes vigorously and look at the picture slightly askew to see what I mean. A few shots of vodka might help as well).

The second one reads "CEF" to me. The squares work well and suggest a chess board without going over the top about it.

The third one is a bit staid and in my opinion the knight motif has been done to death. Let's give the other pieces a chance for a change!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:00 am

Peter Shaw wrote:I think these are much better than any of the previous suggestions.
Agreed. I too like the first one.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:04 am

Here's the second one with the writing flipped. I think this is easier to read.
ECF_logo_2.gif

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:24 am

I think Ljubica's sister's designs are all look nicer than the previous ones. My preferences are 3, 1, 2. However, I thought one of the requirements was to have a scalable logo, suitable for very small screens, such as mobile phones. I'm not sure any of them meet this requirement.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 am

If they are drawn up as vectors, then it should not be a problem to scale them. These are proofs if you will, and if one was chosen, my sister would make the appropriate adjustments.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:57 am

I think all three are about a million times better than the previous suggestions. Would she like to design something for e2e4?!!