New Directors of Women's Chess

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
David Shepherd

Re: New Directors of Women's Chess

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:34 pm

It was particularly noticeable at the trial where in the U14's there were 6 girls who have now played at the World or Europeans 7 if you include the EU Youth. There was no U12 or U10 trial and I think no girl player except Anna under the age of 12 who has been to a World or European Championships (although 1 other if you include the EU youth).

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:49 pm

David,
I don't think that I am breaking any confidences here. Having first consulted Lawrence Cooper, Peter Purland asked for my views on an U10 Girl. Both Lawrence and I were very positive and said she should certainly be given the opportunity to go to Greece. I am 99% certain that Peter would have asked her to go. As you can see she isn't there. I don't know why that it, but it certainly isn't because the Junior Director didn't want to send an U10 Girl.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi.

Alex wrote;

"I think we should wait to see how the Scottish girls do in relation to the
English girls before we start making comparisons. If the English girls all "beat"
the Scottish girls, then sending 7 makes no difference. You could send 45 if you wanted..."

This sums up the two different organisations.
We English seem to need success all the time, a sinlge failure
is a disaster.
whose fault was it? someone's head must roll.
And out yet again comes the dirty ECF linen to be washed in public.

You can coach these kids 7 days a week 356 days a year but you can
never give them the experience of playing in such a event.
And you will never get the opportunity back, time does not go backwards.

The Scots have bums on seats as far as junior chess is involved.
These kids go back to their schools and spread the message. 'Chess is cool'.
The more message carriers the better.

There is no pressure on them at all. No necks are on blocks.
Everyone supports them and their coaches.

Infact I think the only person to have a dig at the Scottish kids
recently was me last year. And the minor boot up the backside judging
from the feedback (and the results) was welcomed.

(Not much one could argue against really. I posted all their silly
recent blunders. I did not make them up. )

If a success in Scotland is acheived then the media swing into action
and within a few days a picture of the junior is in the papers.
Well done's come from all over the country and even ex-pats.

Here if there is a success you get the distinct feeling people are
thinking well OK you were lucky this time.
But sooner or later you are going to screw it up....

Personally I think the vancant slots should have been filled
by any junior willing to play.
If there are no juniors playing that fit that age group
then English Chess is in big trouble.

Now sadly it reads that Scotland must do badly in the chosen
age groups to justify not sending more English juniors.

Good Luck to both Teams.

(posted in correct thread this time).

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:03 pm

Alex,
As you say we will wait and see. However, you probably should note that the top rated Scottish girl is not competing and I suspect the average score of the Scottish contingent might not be dissimilar to the English girls.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:43 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: I think we should wait to see how the Scottish girls do in relation to the English girls before we start making comparisons. If the English girls all "beat" the Scottish girls, then sending 7 makes no difference. You could send 45 if you wanted...
Yes but then what a wonderful thing to be able to say that you have played in the World Championships, at least the Scottish girls can say that. I know of at least one person that has finished in 2nd place for 3 years in a row, once in the grandprix and twice in the trials but the selection of only one person has resulted in 3 different players going but never the person that consistantly finished 2nd, how motivating is that?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm

I probably should say that Wales have 4 girls taking part.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm

David Shepherd wrote:Yes but then what a wonderful thing to be able to say that you have played in the World Championships, at least the Scottish girls can say that. I know of at least one person that has finished in 2nd place for 3 years in a row, once in the grandprix and twice in the trials but the selection of only one person has resulted in 3 different players going but never the person that consistantly finished 2nd, how motivating is that?
I wonder what the rationale for the English policy is? I can see that it might encourage the children to work really hard to get the one place open to them. However I would have thought the boost to their confidence that representing their country in an international tournament would give means that sending as many children as possible (*) would be more beneficial in ensuring that more talented children carry on playing competitive chess.

(*) As long as the parents foot the bill!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:16 pm

I thought I'd replied here; apparently not!

Geoff, I don't think a direct parallel can be drawn between number of females playing at the World Youth to the number of females playing in the country. I'd be surprised if England didn't have more than Scotland. Players per capita would be an interesting question. I agree that the number of players at that age is important. I think England has more; they just aren't all in Greece.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:07 pm

I have to say that I love how things are run in Scotland. They seem to have so much more passion than England, and it shows in the juniors. Big fan.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi Alex.

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread, I'll just answer here.
Don't want to get into a cross border debate.
I'm still reeling at the loss of the grant to the ECF.
This affects Scotland as well.

Now is a time for everyone to jump onboard and pull together.

(we can all squabble again once everyone is solvent)

I was a wee bit surprised how low membership to the ECF is
considering the population of England.
I think a plea needs to got out to get every graded woodpusher
to join up.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:58 am

Yes, the membership may be perceived to be cheap, but when you include game fees and club memberships (who I think perhaps need the money more on balance), it's maybe not so cheap for what is essentially a board game. Just a thought...

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:28 am

Geoff Chandler wrote: I think a plea needs to got out to get every graded woodpusher to join up.
The idea of funding the ECF through Membership Only (i.e. no Game Fee) was surprisingly (to me) popular at the AGM. It may be one for the future. (If everyone becomes a member, it'll actually be cheaper than it is now!)

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:36 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Geoff Chandler wrote: I think a plea needs to got out to get every graded woodpusher to join up.
The idea of funding the ECF through Membership Only (i.e. no Game Fee) was surprisingly (to me) popular at the AGM. It may be one for the future. (If everyone becomes a member, it'll actually be cheaper than it is now!)
Or one for the past, as this is how it used to be done before the game fee was applied, I remember it being no more than £10 per year before game fee started

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 am

Council voted not to reject the possibility of a membership only scheme. This will mean a lot of work for Andrew Farthing putting proposals together. Of course, Council will never vote for a membership scheme, because their votes are largely based on the game fee they pay. Voting for a membership only scheme would be turkeys voting for Christmas.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:52 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Council voted not to reject the possibility of a membership only scheme. This will mean a lot of work for Andrew Farthing putting proposals together. Of course, Council will never vote for a membership scheme, because their votes are largely based on the game fee they pay. Voting for a membership only scheme would be turkeys voting for Christmas.
Council's votes are not based on the Game Fee they pay, they're based on the number of halfgames they have graded.