Chess In Real Life

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Chess In Real Life

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:46 pm

You know these skeptics who bang on about chess not being useful for anything meaningful, well I have gone and one upped the lot of them!

So I am out in this bar last night, sipping a nice bit of pear koppenburg, and I suddenly realise the dancefloor has black and white squares just like a chessboard which instanty got my approval.
"wouldnt it be great" I thought to myself "if there were some sort of special chess related dance to go with this classy floor" and suddenly it came to me - why not do a dance just like the way the chess pieces move.
It went down pretty well - the knight especially (everybody likes an ariel dance move after all) - and soon the whole club was doing it (well, maybe not 'doing' it but they were definately thinking about doing it while watching me) and to top it off I even ended up with a checkmate!

The icing on the cake was that I actually bought a chess set earlier in the day and had taken it out with me in the attempt at hussling a bit of money out of people, in the same way that the really good pool players do, but had no takers. However, the set did come in very handy as a pillow for my head on the bus ride home this morning.

So the lesson to be learned, can be summarised in this catchy little slogan I have invented:

Chess
It pays to play!
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

guyhayton

Re: Chess In Real Life

Post by guyhayton » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:06 pm

So it was you snoring on the #192 night bus?

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:You know these skeptics who bang on about chess not being useful for anything meaningful, well I have gone and one upped the lot of them!

So I am out in this bar last night, sipping a nice bit of pear koppenburg, and I suddenly realise the dancefloor has black and white squares just like a chessboard which instanty got my approval.
"wouldnt it be great" I thought to myself "if there were some sort of special chess related dance to go with this classy floor" and suddenly it came to me - why not do a dance just like the way the chess pieces move.
It went down pretty well - the knight especially (everybody likes an ariel dance move after all) - and soon the whole club was doing it (well, maybe not 'doing' it but they were definately thinking about doing it while watching me) and to top it off I even ended up with a checkmate!
Next time you do this, please get somebody to video it on their phone. I'd like a youtube link :D

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Joey,

You could have demonstrated the Knights Tour problem.

J.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

darren webb

Post by darren webb » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm

it's like nabokov but betterer.