Chessplaying 'Stance'

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Chessplaying 'Stance'

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:55 pm

You know when you wander around the room while playing a game and notice alot of players using distinct poses whilst thinking about their moves. I thought it would be interesting to try and collect a list of them all and see whether or not there is any correlation between this and their chess rating:

a. 'The headache'. This is a popular one during times of great difficulty (and a personal favourite of mine) whereby the player rests his head on both hands so as not to add any additional strain to the neck muscles and allow full concentration. It is sometimes accompanied by fingers in the ears.

b. The 'one hand' rest. A semi relaxed chess stance, whereby a mere one hand is used to support the great intellect of the chin or temple resting upon it. Often seen in less stressful positions, or when a player seems to be winning.

c. 'The military drill'. No arms on the table at all - the player sits bolt upright with them firmly folded accross his chest. This one tends to be used in moments of extreme confidence where the player is either winning or at least believes himself to be.

d. The 'no hand trick'. The player hides his arms under the table, often leaning into the board for a bit of extreme close up analysis. I have never attempted this one personally but I imagine it does help to cut out unecessary pieces getting in your line of sight when trying to calculate a sharp tactic.

e. 'The lean'. A less aggressive folded elbows stance, with them placed on the table and the player angled slightly towards the board - a common favourite.

f. 'The horse blinkers'. Hands clasped to the side of the eyes, allowing a tunnel vision of the board and cutting out any distractions which might cause the chessplayer to lose control and rear up.

Does anybody have any others to add to this list? What is your favourite? We will find out soon enough whether there is any evidence to support the claim that better players sit in certain positions.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Justin Hadi

Re: Chessplaying 'Stance'

Post by Justin Hadi » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:47 pm

This is quite a good one - looks like a variant of "the lean".

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:07 pm

You're missing one, i call it "The Rudd". It consists of seemingly never actually thinking at the board
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Sounds are also an important aspect. :D

An opponent of mine was quite perplexed as I groaned my way to a victory, ie playing good moves (for my level! :roll: ) and then looking disgusted as if I'm totally lost. :oops:
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:You're missing one, i call it "The Rudd". It consists of seemingly never actually thinking at the board
Never think whilst playing chess, it only gets in the way.
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 pm

I played a well known Australian player (now GM) who sat on the back of his chair with his feet on the seat. He berated me after the game (which I lost) for spending too much time looking at other games instead of sitting at the board concentrating.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 am

The 'push glasses halfway up forehead' stance, as regularly practised by Boris Gelfand.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

why look at the board when you can look at the opponent and scare them into losing.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:06 am

That could be defeated by another one I've seen - the "baseball cap pulled firmly down over face so your opponent never sees your eyes".

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Disturbing

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:32 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:why look at the board when you can look at the opponent and scare them into losing.
I found a larger version of this famous picture a little while ago - you can see that Tal's gaze is really intimidating his opponent, Nikola Padevsky:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/ ... ss/Tal.jpg
(I haven't embedded the image because it's a bit large).

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:
That's Chuky isn't it?
Indeed so. Played in a tournament when a bunch of the other guys were going down with colds.

Anybody got a photograph of Tony Miles playing flat out on some kind of trolley because of back problems?

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:29 pm

A small picture of Miles playing Korchnoi at Tilburg 1985 can be found here: http://www.endgame.nl/tilburg.htm

Korchnoi blundered horribly at the end of that game: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1082954

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Gavin Strachan wrote:why look at the board when you can look at the opponent and scare them into losing.
I found a larger version of this famous picture a little while ago - you can see that Tal's gaze is really intimidating his opponent, Nikola Padevsky:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/ ... ss/Tal.jpg
(I haven't embedded the image because it's a bit large).
Rubinstein apparently used to "withdraw from the board after making his move, lest his presence distract his opponent" (unfortunately I can't remember the source of that quote). Clearly Tal didn't follow quite the same school of thought!