British Chess Championships 2011

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: British Chess Championships 2011

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:07 pm

In the years I've been going to the British, Andrew has only not done the commentary in 1996 and 1997, when he took part in the tournament instead.

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Jack

I am sure you are correct in your dates. I was merely stating my preference, having experienced first hand both Andrew's and Chris's commentry.

I think it is important that in a modern progressive society we are all open to change :idea:

How is who commentates at the British decided?

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:51 pm

I think you mean "what actually has that got to do with commentary"

The answer is very simple but I will explain:-

If we are trying to promote chess then to a degree we must employ business tatics and find and identify what works :idea:

If on the other hand we are not trying to promote chess then lets bumble along as we always have and hope everything will be ok

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Carol Williams wrote:
I think the decision would be made by the co-organisers of the tournament, namely Alex MacFarlane & David Welch.

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi Loz

Do you know what criteria they would use?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Carol Williams wrote:Jack

I am sure you are correct in your dates. I was merely stating my preference, having experienced first hand both Andrew's and Chris's commentry.

I think it is important that in a modern progressive society we are all open to change :idea:

If we are going for a modern progressive society, why don't we decide on having a youthful commentary team, in the last couple of years Stephen Gordon, Lawrence Trent, and Simon Williams have all done stirling jobs, no disrespect to Chris or Andrew, but why not have a more youthful look, I don't know you personally but it looks like you have something against Andrew, are you a chess player? and if not how can you differentiate between the two persons mentioned

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Carol Williams wrote:Hi Loz

Hi Carol,

No sorry, I don't. It would be wrong of me to speculate.

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Andrew Martin does an excellent job with the commentary, he'd be good on the mastergame should it ever get back on our TV screens. Chris Ward is also good, but I see no reason to change the commentary- if it's not broken don't try to fix it! Good changes to our already excellent British Championships could be to make the contestants dress smart smartly (this may be uncomfortable if it's warm so a degree of leniency would be needed), the opening ceremony could include some patriotic songs- God save our Queen, Land of hope and Glory, Flower of Scotland, Rule Britannia, Jerusalem etc For our top boards, competitors could have walk on music- like they do for darts and snooker- Adams could have the Addams family theme tune :) This is the sort of thing we need to do if we are to attract Chess onto out TV screens.

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:35 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Carol Williams wrote:Hi Loz

Hi Carol,

No sorry, I don't. It would be wrong of me to speculate.
Hi Loz

Thanks for your honest reply

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Chris J Greatorix wrote:Andrew Martin does an excellent job with the commentary, he'd be good on the mastergame should it ever get back on our TV screens. Chris Ward is also good, but I see no reason to change the commentary- if it's not broken don't try to fix it! Good changes to our already excellent British Championships could be to make the contestants dress smart smartly (this may be uncomfortable if it's warm so a degree of leniency would be needed), the opening ceremony could include some patriotic songs- God save our Queen, Land of hope and Glory, Flower of Scotland, Rule Britannia, Jerusalem etc For our top boards, competitors could have walk on music- like they do for darts and snooker- Adams could have the Addams family theme tune :) This is the sort of thing we need to do if we are to attract Chess onto out TV screens.
Perhaps better if we keep it off the TV screens then? :roll: Sounds like a pretty surefire way of ensuring that nobody is present at the start of the game...

Chris J Greatorix

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Chris J Greatorix wrote:Andrew Martin does an excellent job with the commentary, he'd be good on the mastergame should it ever get back on our TV screens. Chris Ward is also good, but I see no reason to change the commentary- if it's not broken don't try to fix it! Good changes to our already excellent British Championships could be to make the contestants dress smart smartly (this may be uncomfortable if it's warm so a degree of leniency would be needed), the opening ceremony could include some patriotic songs- God save our Queen, Land of hope and Glory, Flower of Scotland, Rule Britannia, Jerusalem etc For our top boards, competitors could have walk on music- like they do for darts and snooker- Adams could have the Addams family theme tune :) This is the sort of thing we need to do if we are to attract Chess onto out TV screens.
Perhaps better if we keep it off the TV screens then? :roll: Sounds like a pretty surefire way of ensuring that nobody is present at the start of the game...
Well Barry Hearn has partly revolutionised the popularity of darts and snooker by jazzing it up abit. If no one turns up for their games, that's there problem-and to be honest if they don't turn up then we have an attittude problem amongst our players-we have to move with the times. The arbiters could also have a walk on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjPSu2l7w4w

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Alan Walton wrote:
Carol Williams wrote:Jack

If we are going for a modern progressive society, why don't we decide on having a youthful commentary team, in the last couple of years Stephen Gordon, Lawrence Trent, and Simon Williams have all done stirling jobs, no disrespect to Chris or Andrew, but why not have a more youthful look, I don't know you personally but it looks like you have something against Andrew, are you a chess player? and if not how can you differentiate between the two persons mentioned
Hi Alan
I may or may be not a chess player - I don't believe that to be relevant unless you believe that if I am not a chess player I am not entitled to an opinion. - if I am not a chess player observing from the outside can be a wonderfull insight! If I am a chess player then that also can and should be a wonderfull insight. I can differentiate between Andrew and Chris because I have observed both in the flesh.

I think it is important to define the word "youthfull" - this is not in my opinion relevant to one's age but is relevent to one's approach and experience

You are correct - you don't know me personally so why do you think I have something against Andrew?-

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Well one of the first criteria is to determine whether the person would rather play in the event.

Especially due to the great work done by CJ the event will be even more attractive this year, particularly to ambitious players.

I would expect many of the names mentioned would rather take part than do commentary.

Whilst David and I discuss all aspects of the event this falls into his remit to finalise.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Publicity could be generated if the current British Champion made an entrance in the style of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vh3mqihJlA

It might even make the Sheffield Evening Argus or whatever the local paper is.

Possibly the ECF Director of Marketing could try this himself for his next tournament!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 pm

My dear friends. If I didnt have 4 kids I would also have played in the last 12 British Championships.

Thanks.