To understand recursion first you must understand recursion

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
PeterTurland

To understand recursion first you must understand recursion

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Well seeing as no one has answered my first question, as to, 'what is the difference between wisdom and intelligence?' (and you will kick yourself when you know the answer)

I have a new question for you not to answer, what is the difference between context and concept?

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: To understand recursion first you must understand recurs

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Another question - If every poster on this message board chips in £10, would it be it enough to send "someone" to the moon (one way ticket)?

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Another question - If every poster on this message board chips in £10, would it be it enough to send "someone" to the moon (one way ticket)?
Well as long as I could take the internet with me, I'd volunteer to stand in a big air space, under a ginormous glass dome 'coz there is lots of silica on the moon.

Strap on a pair of wings and flap my armed wings. Being that I would weigh a sixth of what I weigh now, I have little doubt, I would attain the ancient dream and 'fly like a bird'.

To fly through the air like superman is my dream!
Last edited by PeterTurland on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Another question - If every poster on this message board chips in £10, would it be it enough to send "someone" to the moon (one way ticket)?
Be fair, whip round for a return ticket at least! :D

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:If every poster on this message board chips in £10, would it be it enough to send "someone" to the moon (one way ticket)?
If everyone registered on this board (currently 690 members) chips in £10, that's a mere £6900. The Apollo missions cost millions each. So I think the answer to your question is a resounding "No!". You'd be lucky to have change from £6900 for a round the world trip.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Richard Thursby wrote:
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:If every poster on this message board chips in £10, would it be it enough to send "someone" to the moon (one way ticket)?
If everyone registered on this board (currently 690 members) chips in £10, that's a mere £6900. The Apollo missions cost millions each. So I think the answer to your question is a resounding "No!". You'd be lucky to have change from £6900 for a round the world trip.
I'll take the round-the-world trip ticket if no-one else wants it...

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:50 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I'll take the round-the-world trip ticket if no-one else wants it...
You don't know what steerage (er, economy class) is like these days. Long-distance air travel has become a nightmare (unless you're not a prole).

Now a long train journey -- say St. Petersburg to Beijing or Vladivostock -- that's another kettle of fish altogether.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:54 am

Arshad Ali wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I'll take the round-the-world trip ticket if no-one else wants it...
You don't know what steerage (er, economy class) is like these days. Long-distance air travel has become a nightmare (unless you're not a prole).

Now a long train journey -- say St. Petersburg to Beijing or Vladivostock -- that's another kettle of fish altogether.
If everyone chips in £20 instead, will I be able to go first-class? It has been done - remember that guy that raised loads of money by selling pixels in some picture or something. Maybe someone like Will Taylor should try and become a GM by attempting to get a month's free stay with a different GM in a different country each month for a year, and train with them. That would be one way to see the world and improve your chess. Actually, I think some professional chess players do this already (and certainly did in the past)!

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:59 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Actually, I think some professional chess players do this already (and certainly did in the past)!
Something I've been meaning to ask -- how do professional players like Anand, Leko, Morozevich, Adams travel? Do they fly economy or business class? The money they make would suggest the former.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 am

Arshad Ali wrote: Something I've been meaning to ask -- how do professional players like Anand, Leko, Morozevich, Adams travel? Do they fly economy or business class? The money they make would suggest the former.
This is an extract from the Regulations for the next world championship.
http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... ations.pdf
The FIDE President has the right to first class travel by air, sea or rail, at the Organizer’s ` expense. The FIDE Deputy President has the right to business class travel by air, sea or rail, at the Organizer’s expense. All other Principals shall be provided with transport by air, sea or rail or, if they prefer, any other mode of transport that is not more costly to the Organizer than air travel. Any Principal making his own travel arrangements without the agreement of the Organizer does so entirely at his own risk.
11.1.2 The Organizer shall contribute an amount of 4,000 (four thousand) euros towards the travel costs of each player’s team.
So the FIDE President and Deputy President get the next best thing to a personal spacecraft. The players themselves can't expect any better than Ryanair.

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Well seeing as no one has answered my first question, as to, 'what is the difference between wisdom and intelligence?' (and you will kick yourself when you know the answer)
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad (or vice versa).

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Wilf Arnold wrote:
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad (or vice versa).
No - intelligence is 'how' and wisdom is 'why'.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Sorry gentlemen you have both got it wrong but Wilf was more amusing..

Intelligence is understanding the why and how and recognising the factors which affect these. It's even derived from the Latin verb intellegere.

Wisdom is accumulated knowledge. Knowledge is a collection of facts which may include abstract statements as well as observations or experiences.

To get back to the thread title, an example of recursion is :-

1.ECF realise they have a cash shortage.
2.ECF make decision to raise game fee or introduce other measures
3.Fewer people play chess as a result
4.ECF has another cash shortage
5 Go to 1

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:11 pm

E Michael White wrote:Sorry gentlemen you have both got it wrong but Wilf was more amusing..

Intelligence is understanding the why and how and recognising the factors which affect these. It's even derived from the Latin verb intellegere.

Wisdom is accumulated knowledge. Knowledge is a collection of facts which may include abstract statements as well as observations or experiences.

To get back to the thread title, an example of recursion is :-

1.ECF realise they have a cash shortage.
2.ECF make decision to raise game fee or introduce other measures
3.Fewer people play chess as a result
4.ECF has another cash shortage
5 Go to 1
Yeah - but this does not explain why Bobby Fischer being so 'intelligent an all', was so reviled by his own countrymen, or why he apparently rejected American culture and ended up refusing to have anything to do with it!

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:19 am

PeterTurland wrote:Yeah - but this does not explain why Bobby Fischer being so 'intelligent an all', was so reviled by his own countrymen, or why he apparently rejected American culture and ended up refusing to have anything to do with it!
Where'd you get the idea he was reviled? Most Americans are/were utterly oblivious of his existence. That the government had it in for him is another matter. As for rejecting American culture, there wouild have to be something to reject in the first place.