Drunken Knights v Wood Green

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nevil Chan

Drunken Knights v Wood Green

Post by Nevil Chan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:10 am

The finish to the 1973 Grand National was one of the great British sporting moments...http://tinyurl.com/dk-grandnational

Drunken Knights had led London League Division 1 from start of the season going into final match against Wood Green last night. However, like Crisp in The National, DK1 have been pipped at the post by a thoroughbred. Not Red Rum, but Wood Green, with probably the strongest twelve-board team ever assembled in British chess. Ten GMs and two IMs, having an average 234 ECF rating. This was also the best ever DK team by far, with an average 214 ECF rating...http://www.lcl.streamlinenettrial.co.uk/306.htm

The match was closer than the final score suggests. With twenty minutes left to play, Wood Green were leading just 1½-½. Both Eddie and Ben were winning, but the anticipated two points evaporated in time scrambles. Blair declined an early draw offer, but then overpressed his position. DK 'Man of the Match' was Mosko, who outplayed his GM opponent with some Travolta-like moves.

A memorable evening for players and the many spectators, especially the impromptu 'closing speech' by Chris Haynes, a founder member and previous captain of the Knights. Chris emphasised that a great chess team is not about money - then proceeded to buy a round for practically the whole Plough.

The games will be available online shortly. Thanks to John Saunders, who will be reporting the event in Chess Magazine, and also to Ray Morris-Hill for these photos...http://tinyurl.com/dk-wg-pics

There’s always next season... :?:
"Some people are good enough at chess to take it seriously; you are not one of them."

Jonathan Rogers

Re: Drunken Knights v Wood Green

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks for the link. Glad to hear that the match was closer than it looks! I seem to recall that phrase from various (London) Barbican v Wood Green matches in the late 1990s ....

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am

Nevil Chan wrote:There’s always next season... :?:
As an Arsenal fan that phrase has a familiar ring to it :cry:

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:13 pm

I just realised that Bogdan must have played three games on Monday! Not three complete games of course (thus explaianing Lalic v Chernaiev).

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:39 pm

I fail to see the appeal of paying for a team (group of individuals) to win a league. Each to their own!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:I fail to see the appeal of paying for a team (group of individuals) to win a league. Each to their own!
I guess for those fortunate enough to have more money than they need to live off there's a variety of things to spend it on, football clubs and chess teams being two of the options depending on your level of wealth.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Maybe we should rename the junior teams for the worlds and Europeans - Wood Green has a nice ring to it :D, or Chelsea, Man City ...

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:50 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:I fail to see the appeal of paying for a team (group of individuals) to win a league. Each to their own!
I guess for those fortunate enough to have more money than they need to live off there's a variety of things to spend it on, football clubs and chess teams being two of the options depending on your level of wealth.
I can understand someone spending money on a football club to give it a chance of winning the Premier League or European Cup. I can just about understand someone spending money to win the chess European Club Cup, or maybe a national championship in a country where chess is popular; but the local chess league - that I cannot understand (although I would be opposed to any attempt to stop them doing so if that's what they want to spend their money on).

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:58 pm

It is great that all these GMs play in local league.... The last week i played 1 league match and 1 tournament. I learnt more from getting beat by a GM than all the tournament.

I hope the GMs+IMs , even Rogers ;), Grace me with there presence across the board.

Getting truly beat is a great feeling when you have learnt something from the game.

Kind regards

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:47 pm

I agree with Ben - I used to love getting the chance to play titled players in local leagues. The more of them who play, the better as far as I'm concerned. The result was usually negative but, when I claimed the occasional scalp, it really made my day.

If I were a rich man (diddle iddle diddle dum)... I think I would do exactly what Brian Smith does and sponsor a local league chess team. Even if I were obscenely rich, I wouldn't want to get into football sponsorship. For one thing, it wouldn't be quite so easy to get out of football ownership/sponsorship if you got fed up with it. Of course, Brian does a lot more than shell out cash - he gets involved in the organisation side of things. I used to run a London League side and it was hard work but it's probably a bit easier to get a team out when there is a cash incentive.

Changing the subject slightly, the thing I can't understand is why people support 'Manchellivars International'. Followers of the big teams always have their expectations set ludicrously high. If their team fails to win a trophy during the season, it's a disaster. For Man U, "only" a premier league title is hardly worth celebrating. One appearance in the FA Cup final is probably worth more to Stoke supporters than half a dozen premier titles would be to their Man Utd or Chelsea equivalents. Loz - you should pack in Arsenal and support someone closer to home - Stafford Rangers? (I went to see them play once, aeons ago, and they were pretty good). You'll probably live longer as a result of the reduced stress. For me personally, it will always be Wycombe Wanderers - even if they don't get promoted this year, it doesn't matter as they are still several divisions above the level that they were when I first supported them. Hmm... maybe if I really were obscenely rich, I'd buy the Blues - but I don't mean Chelsea.

Monday was a great night out watching the Drunken Kts v Wood Green. Congrats to Nevil and Brian and all the players for providing excellent entertainment.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm an Arsenal man and certainly my current expectations are not high! I can only just imagine us beating Spurs tonight. And if we do, then I would spend the whole of the Sunday 4NCL game thinking about Arsenal v Man U...

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:16 pm

John Saunders wrote:Monday was a great night out watching the Drunken Kts v Wood Green. Congrats to Nevil and Brian and all the players for providing excellent entertainment.
I had heard that some spectators might turn up, and had considered going myself but was unable to in the end. If I'd known that it would become such an "event", I might well have made more effort to go along. Would there have been room for more spectators, or was the venue (and bar) getting quite full? (This would be for future reference if such a fixture crops up again.)

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Nevil Chan wrote:and also to Ray Morris-Hill for these photos...http://tinyurl.com/dk-wg-pics
Golly, years past that Plough pub used to be a regular oasis for Central YMCA players.... a nice
trip down memory lane, thanx!

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:36 am

It's all about the fight for third. :wink:

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:16 am

Richard Bates wrote:It's all about the fight for third. :wink:
After holding Spurs last night Arsenal should cling on to that accolade :oops: